Idea for a mobile app

HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian
edited October 2015 in Science & Tech

I was just sitting on my back patio with my phone in my hand wishing I could watch a movie(dust to glory) in the nice cool evening air, but the movie is on my desktop computer. It occurs to me that there is a "play to device" feature on my phone, but no play from computer/device feature.

While this is a very specific moment where a feature like that would be cool, I started to think of other situations where something like that would be something I would use. For example, my phone has very limited storage space putting my entire music collection on my phone is not possible. it sure would be nice if I could put my headphones on and be wandering around my house, cleaning or whatever, and have all my music available to me in the privacy of my headphones.

Maybe this already exists, but I couldn't find anything like it on the play store so... what do you guys think? Doable?

Ps, I know there are solutions for any situation this might be used for, but they are many, and the solutions that have obscured to me would cost much more than a mobile app. Not to mention only needing one solution for many such situations.

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited October 2015

Plex. I use it all the time.

CBardichoketrooster89
  • HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

I was thinking local storage, not cloud. Otherwise you could use Spotify for music and...say Amazon video for movies

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

Plex isn't cloud...

Movies on computer. Plex installed and running on computer. Phone connects to PC's Plex server and plays video.

_k
  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

it's actually fairly doable. So if you setup the permissions right on the folders that have all the stuff you want to access from not your PC you can use an app like VLC to connect to the folder and play the file. Works with pretty much all media types.

Basically just make your folders Music and Video folders as public or shareable over the network, and make sure your network is actually pretty secure.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Plex also already has transcoding (or not, whatever you setup) for automatic syncing to your device as you desire. Plex is definitely what you're talking about in this case.

• HeroHero formerly known as XGPHero Icrontian

Ok, I thought it was a cloud storage deal from reading the website. My bad. Thanks guys

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

@Tushon said:
    Plex also already has transcoding (or not, whatever you setup) for automatic syncing to your device as you desire. Plex is definitely what you're talking about in this case.

I have a bit of an issue with this in Plex. Everytime I add something new, I have to manually update my library before my various devices recognize the new file. I have it set up to sync automatically, and I've tried syncing remotely, but it only actually syncs if I push the "Update Library" button at my PC. Luckily, I can remote into my PC to do it from anywhere, so it never causes serious usability issues, but it's still a weird thing.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I would check out https://app.plex.tv/web/app#!/settings/server (advanced) and check out if your settings look like the following (my music one is unchecked for a bug in plex)