Weird Nexus 5 black screen problem

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian

My son's factory refurb Nexus 5 is having a strange problem: The screen goes black, rendering the phone unusable. The phone is still on and from what I can tell, everything is working normally, but the display is dead. At first I thought it might be a hardware problem (loose cable or something) but letting the phone drain and then rebooting it showed that the screen was 100% on and fine again. Shaking the phone, slightly bending it, and various other ways of trying to force a "loose connection" result in zero problems while the screen is on.

The problem is, it keeps happening, more often than not. The screen just shuts off and doesn't come back on. I thought maybe it was a software or app issue but Kyle has not installed any apps and even so, it seems to happen at totally random times, mostly right after booting. In fact, you can reboot the phone 4, 5, 9 times and it will be black upon booting but then on the 10th reboot it will be fine for anywhere from 20 seconds to several minutes. It's completely random.

I haven't tried a factory reset though I'm about to.

Any ideas?

Comments