If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Civilization VI announced for October 2016

GargoyleGargoyle Purveyor of Lincoln NightmaresIllinois Icrontian

Comments

  • GargoyleGargoyle Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Illinois Icrontian
    edited May 2016

    3 screenshots on Steam page. Looks a bit different, like Warcraft Civ. Someone on Reddit speculated that buildings may be color-coded based on type (economic, science, culture).

    I've culled a little meaningful info from Steam:

    • COMBINED ARMS: Expanding on the “one unit per tile” design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry, or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful “Corps” units.
    • ENHANCED MULTIPLAYER: In addition to traditional multiplayer modes, cooperate and compete with your friends in a wide variety of situations all designed to be easily completed in a single session.
    • cities now physically expand across the map
    • works with Steam controller
    • Windows-only at launch? Mac & Linux timing TBA.
    Basil
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian

    The death of my free time is also announced for 10/21/2016.

    RyderGargoyle
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian

    Friday night: just one more turn....And its 1am Sunday.

    Gargoyle
  • GargoyleGargoyle Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Illinois Icrontian

    @Winfrey said:
    Friday night: just one more turn....And its 1am Sunday.

    I don't even know why I own other games besides Civ 5. I work at having hobbies besides Civ 5 so I can be a functioning adult with something to talk about other than how the Brazilians totally backstabbed me, but it's ok, bro, because I saw that shit coming and had some bombers ready to go.

    BTW - Brazil has the best war theme music. I'm into Bossa Nova, now.

    WinfreyGHoosdumCB
  • GargoyleGargoyle Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Illinois Icrontian

    Civ 6 coming to Mac and Linux after all:

  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

    I am excited. I am interested to see how the technology works. They said that what you build and where your cities are will have an effect on your research. It sounds like a cool mechanic and will make every game even more different.

    Gargoyle
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

    Gargoyle
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian

    I'm hype, better not be another spessciv flop.

    PirateNinja
  • GargoyleGargoyle Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Illinois Icrontian
    edited Jun 2016

    Man, that dude is longwinded. Great info, though. I'm digging some of the new features:

    • New government and policy interactions
    • Wonders on map tiles
    • Wonder movies in world
    • City districts; city specialization (can't do all the things/build all the wonders in one city)
    • Eureka boosts for research (achievements that speed up techs)
    • Multiple technology research (although I'm not sure how this works)
    • Builders make improvements instantly
    • Historically accurate agendas, hidden agendas
    • Surprise wars (I think a similar mechanic re: denouncing and opinions exists in Civ 5, but took me awhile to notice)
    • Roads from caravans
    • Envoys assigned to city states to get the city state bonuses

    Supposedly more modding-friendly than Civ 5 (which seemed pretty friendly), and multiplayer mods likely supported.

    I hope we can name city districts. For example, the Campus district he talks about. Apparently it gets a bonus for being near mountains, and I'm drinking out of my SFI mug right now, and "Santa Fe Institute" for a campus near mountains would be apropos. As would [your alma mater here].

    Interface looks a little busy, more like WoW and MOBAs with so many colors throughout. I think it'll work just fine, though. The fog of war looking like a sketch map gets my inner cartographer all hot and bothered.

    CB
  • GargoyleGargoyle Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Illinois Icrontian

    @Gargoyle said:

    • City districts; city specialization (can't do all the things/build all the wonders in one city)

    I wonder how this will alter the tall vs. wide choice, and if Venice would still make sense as a civilization in Civ 6.

  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

    Y'all are going to have to get new video cards.

    http://radeon.com/radeon-civ6-dx12/?sf30852881=1

    Buy @Thrax 's $hlt™

  • GargoyleGargoyle Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Illinois Icrontian

    Needs moar Vulkan for my Linux one-more-turning.

  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

    There is so much to keep track of in this one. Also I really like the way city-states work now.

  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

    Well I put 27 hours into this game over the last two days. I'd say it's pretty awesome!

  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian

    So for everyone that's got it - how's it better than Civ5? A few of us were wondering what makes it worth the purchase (though we all will probably wait for a sale)

  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

    The unstacked cities are pretty cool. Districts make you focus on having specific cities that do certain things, rather than building all the buildings in all the cities. Also I really like how the Tech and cuture trees are set up. Government types also give you a more customizable civ. Eureka bonuses make research seem more relevant to your civ as you get bonuses for doing things you're already doing. So for me it seems like everything is improved. I loved the heck out of Civ V and have 2000 or so hours into it, but Civ 6 seems to be an upgrade to everything and the mechanics are much different.

  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

    I also like that the "happiness" mechanic is gone. It has since been replaced with a housing mechanic, which basically is changing how many citizens your city can support, the bigger it is the more things for entertainment is needed, more food, and you can also basically build suburbs with the neighborhood district.

    You have to put a lot more thought into where you build cities, and place districts. I am still working through my first play through where I basically just went in not looking into anything in advance and just winging and am now paying the price. In civ 5 you can just basically keep a city with all the wonders in it creating a science, production, culture super power. Now you have to have certain districts and devote an entire tile to a wonder, and there are usually multiple criteria like be next to certain district and next to a cattle source for instance.

    Basically I think this game takes more strategy that CIV 5 which it felt like could dace roll my way though a lot of games.

  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian

    Here's my tiny review -

    Two games spent competing with stupid, incompetent AIs eventually shattered the illusion that I had bought a new game. This is Civ 5 with a better city management system and lovely music.

    shwaip
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

    Just finished my first game. I randomly played America, and won a cultural victory pretty handily. Tentatively agree with EMT. The new mechanics are neat, but the AI are no more interesting. Gonna try again on a bigger map with more civs and see what happens before I write off single player entirely, like I did in CivV after a few games.

    WTB: turn-a-day multi-player.

    GHoosdum
  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

    @CB said:
    Just finished my first game. I randomly played America, and won a cultural victory pretty handily. Tentatively agree with EMT. The new mechanics are neat, but the AI are no more interesting. Gonna try again on a bigger map with more civs and see what happens before I write off single player entirely, like I did in CivV after a few games.

    WTB: turn-a-day multi-player.

    ugh right now Cultural victory is way too easy win.

  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited Nov 2016

    @Karma said:

    @CB said:
    Just finished my first game. I randomly played America, and won a cultural victory pretty handily. Tentatively agree with EMT. The new mechanics are neat, but the AI are no more interesting. Gonna try again on a bigger map with more civs and see what happens before I write off single player entirely, like I did in CivV after a few games.

    WTB: turn-a-day multi-player.

    ugh right now Cultural victory is way too easy win.

    It did seem pretty easy, I think because no other civ was going for it. In another game, I found myself up against just one other civ who was focusing on culture, and that made it nearly impossible to win that way.

    Now, however, I've played two more games, and I'm convinced that the AI is still terrible.

    Mainly, they still don't have real motives for the things they do, especially: they declare war, seemingly, just because there hasn't been any war for a while. It's as if the developers decided it should not be possible, no matter how hard one tries, to remain peaceful with everyone throughout the game. No matter how much one focuses on, and succeeds at, keeping everyone happy, there will always be war declared against the human player at least a few times per game. If none in the world is mad enough at the player to do it, then a civ who loves them will do it, They might declare an alliance one turn, then declare war the next, and it's infuriating.

  • GargoyleGargoyle Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Illinois Icrontian

    Has anyone tried any of the AI mods in this thread? Not that you should have to patch things that Firaxis didn't test enough, but I wonder how well they work.

    I personally have to keep wondering because if I buy Civ 6 now, I probably won't graduate, then the AI won't be the only thing broken :-/

  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

    @CB said:

    @Karma said:

    @CB said:
    Just finished my first game. I randomly played America, and won a cultural victory pretty handily. Tentatively agree with EMT. The new mechanics are neat, but the AI are no more interesting. Gonna try again on a bigger map with more civs and see what happens before I write off single player entirely, like I did in CivV after a few games.

    WTB: turn-a-day multi-player.

    ugh right now Cultural victory is way too easy win.

    Mainly, they still don't have real motives for the things they do, especially: they declare war, seemingly, just because there hasn't been any war for a while. It's as if the developers decided it should not be possible, no matter how hard one tries, to remain peaceful with everyone throughout the game. No matter how much one focuses on, and succeeds at, keeping everyone happy, there will always be war declared against the human player at least a few times per game. If none in the world is mad enough at the player to do it, then a civ who loves them will do it, They might declare an alliance one turn, then declare war the next, and it's infuriating.

    I think right now AIs declare war based on the size of their army and pretty much entirely that.

  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

    @Karma said:

    @CB said:

    @Karma said:

    @CB said:
    Just finished my first game. I randomly played America, and won a cultural victory pretty handily. Tentatively agree with EMT. The new mechanics are neat, but the AI are no more interesting. Gonna try again on a bigger map with more civs and see what happens before I write off single player entirely, like I did in CivV after a few games.

    WTB: turn-a-day multi-player.

    ugh right now Cultural victory is way too easy win.

    Mainly, they still don't have real motives for the things they do, especially: they declare war, seemingly, just because there hasn't been any war for a while. It's as if the developers decided it should not be possible, no matter how hard one tries, to remain peaceful with everyone throughout the game. No matter how much one focuses on, and succeeds at, keeping everyone happy, there will always be war declared against the human player at least a few times per game. If none in the world is mad enough at the player to do it, then a civ who loves them will do it, They might declare an alliance one turn, then declare war the next, and it's infuriating.

    I think right now AIs declare war based on the size of their army and pretty much entirely that.

    Can't be entirely. In one game I was neighbored with Rome. They totes loves me with the biggest happy face because I fulfilled all of their wildest agenda dreams. They also were two eras behind me, and had half the number of military units. Twice, the declared wart on me with zero provocation, threw their paltry army at my cities, then sued for peace, giving over a bunch of their resources, afterward, and going back to being best friends after. It was completely unjustified by any mechanic of the game.

  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

    @CB said:

    @Karma said:

    @CB said:

    @Karma said:

    @CB said:
    Just finished my first game. I randomly played America, and won a cultural victory pretty handily. Tentatively agree with EMT. The new mechanics are neat, but the AI are no more interesting. Gonna try again on a bigger map with more civs and see what happens before I write off single player entirely, like I did in CivV after a few games.

    WTB: turn-a-day multi-player.

    ugh right now Cultural victory is way too easy win.

    Mainly, they still don't have real motives for the things they do, especially: they declare war, seemingly, just because there hasn't been any war for a while. It's as if the developers decided it should not be possible, no matter how hard one tries, to remain peaceful with everyone throughout the game. No matter how much one focuses on, and succeeds at, keeping everyone happy, there will always be war declared against the human player at least a few times per game. If none in the world is mad enough at the player to do it, then a civ who loves them will do it, They might declare an alliance one turn, then declare war the next, and it's infuriating.

    I think right now AIs declare war based on the size of their army and pretty much entirely that.

    Can't be entirely. In one game I was neighbored with Rome. They totes loves me with the biggest happy face because I fulfilled all of their wildest agenda dreams. They also were two eras behind me, and had half the number of military units. Twice, the declared wart on me with zero provocation, threw their paltry army at my cities, then sued for peace, giving over a bunch of their resources, afterward, and going back to being best friends after. It was completely unjustified by any mechanic of the game.

    the size of their army specifically. AI doesn't care about much else it seems. once had a declaration of friendship with Russia he broke it off and charged me with 8 warriors didn't win. I dunno the AI motivation is just all messed up. They just seem to go oh we have all these units might as well go lose them in a war.

Sign In or Register to comment.

The 5¢ Tour