If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

If You Hate That Windows 10 Upgrade Notification...

KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired)By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

...try this:

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

It also deletes the Win10 download.

Cliff_Forsterfatcat

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

You can also just do the upgrade and enjoy an OS that isn't 7 years old again. 7 is the new XP.

ThraxTushonFettBaconUPSLynx
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit, MI Icrontian

@AlexDeGruven said:
    You can also just do the upgrade and enjoy an OS that isn't 7 years old again. 7 is the new XP.

I boot my PC once every week or two to play a few games. The idea of switching OS paradigms when I've showed up to relax - just because some popup decided I should be reminded about it again - gives me a twitch. And every time it jumps up to nag me again makes me want to do it even less.

Something is absolutely going to break when I upgrade. I very well may end up reinstalling shit from scratch. Do I even know where my Windows 7 license key is if I need it if that happens? No idea! The cavalier attitude with which they push this in my face like it's gonna be real quick and painless is the worst sort of tech bullshit.

Gargardichoke

These arguments don't make my "7 is the new XP" argument any less true. The reason MS has been so aggressive (like it or not, that's not the bit I'm debating here) with 10 is to reduce the possibility of another XP situation, even though it's already beginning.

Cliff_Forster
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

The problem exists more in the enterprise world. For example, we are forced to support legacy systems in place from local governments, and we can't run them on anything but antiquated browsers and operating systems. They're working to modernize their software, but testing to ensure these systems work on newer platforms takes time. To be constantly reminded that you need to upgrade is annoying. At least the program lets you "restart" the nag screens.

GHoosdum

Enterprise should not be showing that notification, though. If you're running Home/Pro in a business environment with more than a few machines, you should definitely be on Enterprise.

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

I stand corrected. Only our laptops have the notification.

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

I feel I haven't' seen a popup from mine in months. I think there was a setting on one of the popups to lessen if not outright stop them. I could be wrong or they changed that, idk.

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited May 2016

I work IT in a retirement home (yes, it is like it sounds).... Our customer base needs a Windows "upgrade" like a hole in the head. In fact I'm moving most people to Chromebox / base / books when it comes time to get rid of ageing Windows machines for the sake of simplicity, ease of use, a boxed in platform where little ever goes wrong.

You can't even begin to understand the amount of confusion this has caused for Seniors. Do I need to do this? Is it better? I like Windows 7 fine, how do I make the pop up stop? How long will they support Windows 7? They are constantly accidentally installing the upgrade and then asking me to roll it back. I'm checking this out, I'm not sure if I can implement it on customer machines but I am going to consider as an option for sure.

Garg
  • @AlexDeGruven said:
    These arguments don't make my "7 is the new XP" argument any less true. The reason MS has been so aggressive (like it or not, that's not the bit I'm debating here) with 10 is to reduce the possibility of another XP situation, even though it's already beginning.

This is in part true, because Windows 8 was a disaster (like Vista)

To me the bigger part of it is the browser. Microsoft needs Edge to succeed. IE is a dinosaur that does nothing but make Microsoft look bad. Honestly with the November updates Edge has gone from being wonky to being a stellar performer. It's fast, supports modern standards, and it has some neat features that make it a great browser for both desktop and touch platforms, plus the mindshare advertising revenue Microsoft can drive through it if they can convince people that their stock browser is all you need.

_k
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian

Of Note: I've had two customers already this morning report "just turned my computer on and it was Windows 10"

-Digi

• FettBaconFettBacon Viscount Icrontian

Recently I built a new computer and the motherboard didn't support windows 7 unless it was from the CD so I upgraded to windows 10 and damn is it slick. Its a great operating system and I haven't had anything break on it.