Keyboard problems at work

oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French CanadianMontréal, Québec. Icrontian

So i just got a new desk at work with a new pc, and the guy using it told me "hey be careful the caps lock key is kinda broken"

So the problem is basically that caps lock is always on, and shift toggles the caps. I have tried 5 different keyboards, same problem. I've made sure to check for sticky keys, and the advance setting for what actually is suposed to toggle caps lock.

Any clue wtf is going on?

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2016

I assume you have tried hitting the caps lock key and that does not turn it off? American keyboards alternate caps lock on and off with the caps lock key itself and use shift to toggle without locking it.

PS, the default for caps lock on or off is set in some computer BIOSs BTW. I had to turn mine off in my Lenovo laptop's main BIOS, defaulted to on from the factory

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

As silly as it sounds, make sure the keyboard layout in OS (windows?) matches the actual keyboard type. E.g. if you have an English US QWERTY keyboard, make sure that is the setting in your OS. You'll have to google how to find that for whatever version is on there.

• oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian

I have checked the layout. We are using remote desktop (to connect to the server) and this happen ONLY on that desktop pc. On the laptop it doesnt.
    Also like i said, i tried several other keyboards, and they all do the same

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Is there a reason they won't just reimage the machine to make sure it's not an issue in the OS somewhere?

I don't understand the "Here's a new computer, but beware, it's kind of broken" mentality here.

@AlexDeGruven said:
    Is there a reason they won't just reimage the machine to make sure it's not an issue in the OS somewhere?

I don't understand the "Here's a new computer, but beware, it's kind of broken" mentality here.

Welp new to me. It's an "old" machine.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

But still. Redeploying hardware with a known issue is kind of a Bad Thing™

_kCBoni_dels

@AlexDeGruven said:
    But still. Redeploying hardware with a known issue is kind of a Bad Thing™

The struggles of a small business... also they pretty much said "you're good with computer, you'll figure it out".

Obviously i didn't.
    The weirdest thing is that this problem doesn't behave the same way on the remote desktop that it does on regular one.