If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Now that I have income, help me mod my car

13»

Comments

  • drasnordrasnor Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

    UPSLynx
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit, MI Icrontian

    @TheRedburn said:
    Geo exploded last night

    Context: I gave Aaron my old Passat (a bit of a repair bill magnet), so Aaron gave Kyle the Geo. He is still very protective of the Geo's reputation and was always a bit salty about giving up his "perfectly good car" that rarely needed repairs to keep running.

    Me: "I admit I feel a little better about this repair bill on the Passat now."

    Aaron, immediately: "Kyle probably did something wrong."

    ;D

    TheRedburnGHoosdumUPSLynxWagsFTW
  • TheRedburnTheRedburn Spaceman K Detroit, MI Icrontian

    Man, I did that car so much right, I can't even defend it anymore. I'm so upset

    LincWagsFTW
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

    I don't think anybody ever loved a shitty old Geo Prizm more than you did, bud.

    Cliff_ForsterUPSLynxWagsFTW
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Baltimore, MD Icrontian

    Reminds me of my old Dodge Omni. I was riding along one day and the bottom just kinda fell out. Seriously, the frame, it just broke doing 40 MPH. It sounds funny now, wasn't at the time. Imagine driving along, in your first beater piece of garbage and suddenly BANG and immediate stop. Basically a shock spring shot out, pressed against the frame, compromised a bad weld and the bottom literally came out of the car on Route 1. Tow truck comes, I get it to the shop, find out the repair cost.... own a Nissan pick up and an auto loan a week later.

    I got $125 for parts. I had to negotiate for the extra $25. That's what a garbage pile it was. At the time, felt like a disaster, as my Dad says, this too shall pass.

    TheRedburn
  • TheRedburnTheRedburn Spaceman K Detroit, MI Icrontian

    So, I bought my 1993 Celica back, and this time it's in full project-car mode. I've already fixed my alternator, have plans for all other systems in the car. However, my most pressing issue is that the radiator literally just dropped all of the coolant. I have no clue why. From what I know and can see, it's a new radiator, no cracks. Couldn't see really where it leaked from. Best guess is reservoir overflowed. I could hear bubbling, it was slightly steaming. Any help?

  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian

    Replace the thermostat and radiator cap. Check the top and bottom hoses for leaks. Sounds like the cooling system wasn't holding pressure.

  • aspieRommelaspieRommel Belkan Air Force 22nd Air Div. 4th Tactical Fighter Sqn. Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

    To add on to what @BuddyJ said, as well as check the hoses proper, check the hose connections and see if they're tight. Possibly one of the connections got loose and is allowing air into the hose.

  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian

    Definitely sounds like you blew a hose. :giggity:

  • TheRedburnTheRedburn Spaceman K Detroit, MI Icrontian

    Thanks guys. I'm also looking at rear windows for the convertible top, if anyone has recommendations for cheap but durable options I'd like to check them out.

  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic Virginia Icrontian

    @TheRedburn said:
    So, I bought my 1993 Celica back, and this time it's in full project-car mode. I've already fixed my alternator, have plans for all other systems in the car. However, my most pressing issue is that the radiator literally just dropped all of the coolant. I have no clue why. From what I know and can see, it's a new radiator, no cracks. Couldn't see really where it leaked from. Best guess is reservoir overflowed. I could hear bubbling, it was slightly steaming. Any help?

    I would just go ahead and replace those hoses anyway. They're cheap and easy.

  • maliamalia Sconnie Nation Icrontian

    @Sonorous said:

    @TheRedburn said:
    So, I bought my 1993 Celica back, and this time it's in full project-car mode. I've already fixed my alternator, have plans for all other systems in the car. However, my most pressing issue is that the radiator literally just dropped all of the coolant. I have no clue why. From what I know and can see, it's a new radiator, no cracks. Couldn't see really where it leaked from. Best guess is reservoir overflowed. I could hear bubbling, it was slightly steaming. Any help?

    I would just go ahead and replace those hoses anyway. They're cheap and easy.

    +1, and all the clamps. The same thing happened with the Lumina I drove in grad school; ended up being a crack in the clamp, so it wasn't holding the hose in place securely.

  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

    @Sonorous said:

    They're cheap and easy.

    TWSS

  • TheRedburnTheRedburn Spaceman K Detroit, MI Icrontian

    It was a fuse, or the fan relay. Either way, cooling fan wasn't running and I got it all fixed now. Now onto other things!

    aspieRommelGnomeQueen
  • aspieRommelaspieRommel Belkan Air Force 22nd Air Div. 4th Tactical Fighter Sqn. Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    edited 2 Oct

    @TheRedburn said:
    It was a fuse, or the fan relay. Either way, cooling fan wasn't running and I got it all fixed now. Now onto other things!

    While you're on the fuses, check the others as well and make sure they aren't blown. It'll save time and money in the long run if you replace any blown fuses now.

    The owners manual SHOULD have a layout of the fuse box and what fuses are connected to what system.

    Fuses around here (in Indianapolis) cost about $5-$10 a box. But it'll be best to buy about 3-5 boxes of each type of fuse you need, that way you have reserves in case one of the new fuses blow.

  • TheRedburnTheRedburn Spaceman K Detroit, MI Icrontian

    So I learned recently that my 1993 Celica Gt two-wheel drive has the engine harness of a 1992 Celica alltrac. Getting a new alternator for this vehicle has been a pain in my ass

  • TheRedburnTheRedburn Spaceman K Detroit, MI Icrontian

    Also, I'm fairly certain the MAFS is just gone. Aftermarket intake, mafs plug is just a placebo

  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic Virginia Icrontian

    @TheRedburn said:
    Also, I'm fairly certain the MAFS is just gone. Aftermarket intake, mafs plug is just a placebo

    If it were my car, I would go to a junkyard and find the stock air box and take the aftermarket part off. Cold air intakes really don't do anything other than look sort of cool when the hood is open. Also seeing as your car has a MAF system, your ECU is probably not able to calculate the proper fuel air mix, either robbing you of power, or wasting fuel. Cold air intakes usually create a lot of extra air turbulence that makes it hard for the MAF to determine the amount of air passing by the sensor.

  • TheRedburnTheRedburn Spaceman K Detroit, MI Icrontian

    @Sonorous said:

    @TheRedburn said:
    Also, I'm fairly certain the MAFS is just gone. Aftermarket intake, mafs plug is just a placebo

    If it were my car, I would go to a junkyard and find the stock air box and take the aftermarket part off. Cold air intakes really don't do anything other than look sort of cool when the hood is open. Also seeing as your car has a MAF system, your ECU is probably not able to calculate the proper fuel air mix, either robbing you of power, or wasting fuel. Cold air intakes usually create a lot of extra air turbulence that makes it hard for the MAF to determine the amount of air passing by the sensor.

    I'll look into that. I've only found one scrapyard Celica nearby, I'll give it another visit

13»
Sign In or Register to comment.