Things I loved:
- The movie
- More realistic, less idealistic
- We knew they would all die in the end AND THEY DID.
- TIL Death Star can fire weakly
- Vader going ham at the end
- CGI actors getting almost perfect. Uncanny valley has been solved
- Movie ends RIGHT at the point of going into New Hope.
Things I made a face at:
- Imperial architecture and engineering MAKES NO SENSE. Hey let's put a control for the antenna four fucking miles in the air on a platform jutting out 300 meters for some reason, right guys?
- Too much Tarkin screen time. CGI mouth still not perfect. They overutilized the tech
- Hey guys, let's put the master switch for the comms on a platform in the middle of a field? For some reason?
- Maybe the Empire needs to stop offing their engineers so they can fix their ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE UI
- Data banks need to be accessed PHYSICALLY by a set of weird robot arms? For some reason?
Things I actively disliked:
- The icon of all icons, the music and the opening crawl RIP
- Too much CGI ships, not enough practical effects like VII had
- VADER MAKING A PUN? FUCK OFF, THAT IS SO OUT OF CHARACTER IT'S RIDICULOUS
- Retcon "bothans". Many.... something... died to bring us this information. They never mentioned Bothans once. RIP lore
All in all I loved the movie. It was great to see the fleshing out of the story that we all sort of knew. Villains were appropriately Imperial and the movie does a great job of nailing the period of time when the Empire was just coming into the full blush of their power. I'm SUPER glad they didn't shy away from the obvious, look, they all die. You know it, I know it, they did it. If they had figured out some kind of bullshit way to shoehorn a happy ending in there it would have sucked.
Vader making a pun was straight-up cringey awful. Fuck that. WHY DID THEY DO THAT WHY.