If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Adventures in bourbon - Bottled in Bond

2»

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian

Went to a blind bourbon tasting this weekend. The winner out of the 10 was my #2, but my #1 was the EH Taylor Single Barrel Bonded. A little more on the pricey side, but really good stuff.

GHoosdum
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    edited 27 Mar

EH Taylor is gooooood stuff. What was the 'winner'?

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian

Old Weller Antique. That was my #2. Elijah Craig took #2 overall.

UPSLynx
  • doabarrellrolldoabarrellroll San Jose, CA Icrontian

@UPSLynx I didn't know you were a Bourbon guy! We have a lot to talk about.

GHoosdumUPSLynx
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx Top EA shill, The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian

@doabarrellroll said:

I've been a whiskey fan for a long time, but only over the last 3 or 4 years have I really started digging into bourbon. I used to be hardcore scotch whisky, but these days I've been buying more bourbon than anything else (with the exception of beer, of course).

Dude we need to hang out, drink bourbon and talk about Porsche.

• UPSLynxUPSLynx Top EA shill, The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited 17 Apr

Henry McKenna time!

Finally got around to trying the Henry McKenna 10 year Bottled in Bond. For a 10 year 100 proof whiskey, this is an amazing purchase for the price. I found this bottle for $26 bucks, and man, it tastes like a $40+ whiskey.

The first sip hits you with huge caramel and butterscotch notes. There's a hint of vanilla in it, and then the finish it TONS of oaken wood. The oak lingers for a very long time, and the heat sneaks in. Man, the booze heat is big on this one. A splash of water won't hurt you with this whiskey, but for the truly bold, drinking this neat is an experience.

This whiskey isn't particularly nuanced. It has it's strengths but doesn't stray far from them. It's not the best bourbon I've had, but it's damn hard to beat at the price point. Highly recommended.

Also it's so weird to think that when this whiskey was distilled and barreled, Half-Life 2 was a new game and I was in college playing it, and TF2 wasn't even a thing yet.

ThraxGHoosdum
  • drasnordrasnor Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

@UPSLynx said:
    Also it's so weird to think that when this whiskey was distilled and barreled, Half-Life 2 was a new game and I was in college playing it, and TF2 wasn't even a thing yet.

Would you say that it has a nostalgic flavor?

• doabarrellrolldoabarrellroll San Jose, CA Icrontian

@UPSLynx said:

@doabarrellroll said:

I've been a whiskey fan for a long time, but only over the last 3 or 4 years have I really started digging into bourbon. I used to be hardcore scotch whisky, but these days I've been buying more bourbon than anything else (with the exception of beer, of course).

Dude we need to hang out, drink bourbon and talk about Porsche.

I'm trying to go to the Icrontic thing in June but yea man, I've got an open bottle of Blanton's on my bar cart anytime you want.

GHoosdum
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

I just picked up a bottle of the Henry McKenna BiB 10 year for 28 dollars yesterday. It really is a fantastic value.

UPSLynx

Finally got around to posting a review of this. I've had this bottle since late June thanks to @FettBacon who hand delivered it to me in Detroit during expo. This whiskey is so goddam good that I killed most of the bottle in a month and had to pump the brakes to enjoy it a little longer. It nails everything I love in a bourbon.

The taste is heavy on caramel, vanilla, and super oaky. The mouthfeel is full and oily, accompanied by a long lasting alcohol burn and spicy tongue. It's incredibly well balanced, and shows its age well across the palette. A splash of water really opens this bourbon up but honestly, it's not needed. Drink it straight and live the dream.

This is a ~$50 bottle of bourbon and let me tell you, it is worth it. If you're looking to splurge on an absolutely superb bourbon whiskey, this is the one to do it with.

RyanMM
  • FettBaconFettBacon Viscount Icrontian

I've recently gone in on this and I wasn't super fond of it at first but I think that's because it's my first bourbon after Old Forester. Now I'm about half finished and its really grown on me with is rich flavors and goodness.

2»