If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Prime's Ryzen build

124»

Comments

• ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian

@AlexDeGruven said:
    So, that's my question. Would I put in 3000 on the 3000 RAM, or down-clock it to 2666?

When I say OC, I mean in the context of making the CPU run faster than it's base spec.

Base spec is 2667 for Ryzen. Motherboard specs would officially allow you to run faster if you buy from an approved list.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian
    edited 17 Mar

Ok, so I can pump up the clock on the RAM if the board supports it without touching the CPU base clock. That's what I was looking for.

Does the 16GB DIMM version follow that as well?

I'm seeing the non-RGB 2x16GB TridentZ (it's under my desk and I already have a crapton of blue in the case), but it's 38, not 36.

• ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian

Check the memory list for the specific motherboard you want if you want to use 16GB DIMMs.

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Baltimore, MD Icrontian

MicroCenter currently has the Ryzen 1700X for $369 with an extra $50 credit for an AM4 motherboard. You can score a killer sixteen thread CPU and board for less than the flagship CPU alone right now.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian

primesuspect
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Your reservation is ready, NATHAN ANDREWS

It's like those recordings that have variables in them.

Today's weather will be... SUNNY... with a... CHANCE OF... RAIN... after... NINE... THIRTY... P.. M.

Sonorous

And last reply on this thread, since it's not really mine.

I went with the 2x8GB Corsair mentioned earlier. Decent price, and I can still go 32GB later.

Seems to be running smooth at 3200-ish

Looks fine. Reference clock on Intel and AMD is 100MHz (x32 for DDR4-3200), but that reference clock can fluctuate from 98-102MHz.

Yep, that's what I figured. I wouldn't be concerned unless it varied widely from what I would expect from the 32x multiplier.

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Baltimore, MD Icrontian

I've read some good things about KLEVV RAM actually hitting almost 3K holding at 1.2 volts on certain Ryzen boards but you can't seem to buy it anywhere in the US right now.

124»