March madness

StackStack Sassy and short Icrontian

Anyone in here make a bracket. I did this year with about 10% knowledge on these teams. I primarily did it for work but was curious to know if anyone else had done one.

Comments

• pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian

I did one at work as well, but I don't care that much about the overall bracket as long as my Noles make a deep run.

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian

nope, I didn't do it this year.
    You saw Warren Buffet's offer? Any employee of BH that can pick the sweet 16 correctly gets $1M/yr for life.
    Does that tell you what the odds are?

• RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Icrontian

@edcentric said:
    nope, I didn't do it this year.
    You saw Warren Buffet's offer? Any employee of BH that can pick the sweet 16 correctly gets $1M/yr for life.

So what you're saying is I need to get a job at BH as a professional March Madness player.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

@edcentric said:

Nope, but this did.

1:9,223,372,036,854,775,808 chance

-Digi

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

@BobbyDigi said:

@edcentric said:

Nope, but this did.

1:9,223,372,036,854,775,808 chance

-Digi

The odds are a bit better than that. That's the odds of getting every game right. Which you don't have to do to win Warren Buffet's money, just the sweet 16. Which means you can even ignore all the games previous to it as long as you get the right sweet 16. Since 1 in 4 teams makes the sweet 16 each team has 25% chance of making the sweet 16.

So if you're just guessing the sweet 16 randomly it's more 0.25^16 which is 2.32830644x10^-10 which is still stupidly small.

You can do some other adjustments. Like no 16 seed has ever beaten a 1 seed and that is likely to continue.