If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Which Kong is King for you?

Mt_GoatMt_Goat I am the hatchet man, look over your shoulder Icrontian
edited 28 Mar in The Pub

After seeing Kong Skull Island this weekend I have now seen a total of 8 movies featuring the giant hairball. This now makes a span of 84 years of the big guy, which is a long time for a run of movies. I won't say much about Skull Island except it was entertaining with good effects, as to be expected these days. I actually look forward to the future release of Godzilla vs. Kong. I personally put the original 1933 movie and the 2005 release as my favorites. So what's your favorite?

Which Kong is King for you? 4 votes

King Kong 1933
75%
GHoosdumMiracleManSCliff_Forster 3 votes
Son of Kong 1933
0%
King Kong vs. Godzilla 1962
0%
King Kong Escapes 1967
0%
King Kong 1976
0%
King Kong Lives 1986
0%
King Kong 2005
25%
Mt_Goat 1 vote
Kong; Skull Island 2017
0%
Cliff_Forster

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    edited 29 Mar
    King Kong 1933

I think the first film is a master class in imagination. They were so limited yet figured out a way to tell this huge story. Honestly without it, where would modern film be?

I dig the Peter Jackson take as well, even Jack Black which seems to be the dig most people have on the film, I actually think he is one of the best things about it. He embraces that style, hamming it up like an actor from a previous era. It like every Peter Jackson film is too long though.

Mt_Goat
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat I am the hatchet man, look over your shoulder Icrontian
    edited 29 Mar
    King Kong 2005

@Cliff_Forster said:
    I think the first film is a master class in imagination. They were so limited yet figured out a way to tell this huge story. Honestly without it, where would modern film be?

I dig the Peter Jackson take as well, even Jack Black which seems to be the dig most people have on the film, I actually think he is one of the best things about it. He embraces that style, hamming it up like an actor from a previous era. It like every Peter Jackson film is too long though.

I whole heartedly agree. The original was just so far ahead of its time. And even the effects for the time made the movie such a masterpiece. Then with the newer version with Jack Black with the modern effects and still sticking so well to the plot and mystery. Then the maniacal single focused character as only a few like Jack Black could portray like he did really put a lot of feeling into it. I feel that this was a part made for him instead of being a dig. The same film also by the work of the actors felt more like a throwback to the era of the original. I also liked how they made Kong have emotions similar to gorillas. This is why I am really split on liking both films almost equally.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ @TheButterflyman Icrontian

This time I'm the guy who has not seen any of these films. I don't get to be that guy very often. ;)

• MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    King Kong 1933

The fact that the 1976 version is even included in this poll makes me sad. It was a shade of the original.

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    King Kong 1933

@CB said:
    This time I'm the guy who has not seen any of these films. I don't get to be that guy very often. ;)

The 1933 film is a marvel. It's almost like one of those STEM engineering tests where someone hands you a few straws, some rubber bands, and tongue depressors and says, build me the strongest tower except they made an incredible film.

My favorite DVD commentary ever is from the original Richard Donner Superman where Donner sits down with his FX lead and talks all the technical stuff on how to make that stuff work in the 70's, for example the Sun about to blow at the beginning is just a 55 Gal drum of oil lit on fire and they do a neat trick with how they move the camera across it and slow the frames down and it looks like a star instead... Film making was so much harder then, now imagine it's 1933 and someone says, let's make a giant Gorilla Climb the Empire State building with a pretty girl in his hand... The incredible amount of technical creativity that had to require is mind blowing.

Mt_Goat
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat I am the hatchet man, look over your shoulder Icrontian
    edited 29 Mar
    King Kong 2005

@MiracleManS said:
    The fact that the 1976 version is even included in this poll makes me sad. It was a shade of the original.

I only remember it because of Jessica Lange. The whole time Kong is running with her you keep waiting for a wardrobe slip. Then the movie is over without a thrill. :p

• ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian

MT, there's a shot somewhere where Kong's finger pulls her top down a little :P

wtf, I never even heard of King Kong Lives (1986) before. Musta been a real award winner.