I decided to do a thing ....and perhaps more.

Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy KnobPflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
edited February 2018 in Home & Auto

After the disappointment of being able to not do old school things to a new truck last year that I really got the bug to build a old muscle car for my cruising pleasure as well as make some 1/4 mile passes in the sub 10 seconds range. So a few months ago I got serious and decided on a 1965 Mercury Comet Cyclone. The plan is to remove factory subframe, shock towers and fuel tank and replace with 2x3 tube frame with Mustang II type front suspension, Moser 9 inch rear differential on four link suspension. Install an all aluminum custom built 351 Windsor stroked to 454cid. It will be Candy Apple Red Metallic with gold flake.

This is what I already have started on.

This is what I am going for.

This was an alternative hood style I like and will not go with.

SonorousBobbyDigiEMTBuddyJZanthianKwitkoRahnalH102Garg

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian

Oh BTW these cars aren't much bigger than a Mustang from the same year. And much smaller than any current muscle car.

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian

Excellent! I love it.

Mt_Goat
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

That low look is sweet.

Right now I have the pistons and rods together, cam, pistons, crank, lifters and heads installed. The body has been at the shop and has been media blasted, rust repaired and subframe, wheel wells and rear wheel enclosures removed. It is also primed and ready to have mods done. It will have a modern 6 speed auto from a newer F150 for a trans and 15 inch wide rear tires with 7 inches in front.

• ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian

This is a fun project. We need some pics along the way.

The block arrived like this.

Unboxing

Soooo light!

It came notched for long rod clearance

ZanthianBuddyJSonorous
  • BlueTattooBlueTattoo Boatbuilder Houston, TX Icrontian

Well, you got the color right. Have fun.

Just heard from the shop as they will be closed for the holidays. And they informed me that the full frame is complete as is the new front suspension. The new front inner fenders and rear tubs still need to be done along with the body work of making a recess for the installation of a Cobra (LeMans) style gas filler. Then it can be painted as the underside, engine compartment and interior will all be painted.

GargBuddyJ
    edited January 2018

I decided to ditch the carbs and go with an EFI system that will utilize the same intake manifold. Summit is taking the carbs back as an exchange for the new system as i have not broken the seals on the boxes and am spening more for the EFI. Here is a video on a single throttle body 4 barrel by Fi Tech. This is a self learning system that can be tweeked and maximizes performance with a lot less hassle. I am going with a 2x4 barrel setup capable of 1200+ HP.

BuddyJ
    edited January 2018

Since I now have some time on my hands I can post more details and pics.

This is a pic from the shop a while ago showing the difference in the rear tubs. The left side is the new size and the right side is stock. Note the relationship of the trunk hinge as a constant for reference.

This is the finished hood in initial primer. The scoops are fully functional and there is an airbox built into the hood that surrounds the air cleaner.

MAGIC

@Ryder said:
    I can only get so erect.

Was wondering how much skin I needed to show before you poped in. ;)

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian

I'm just gonna stay seated. Can somebody get me a glass of ice water?

This build is awesome!

Mt_GoatGarg

I am going to say right away my plans for the stance (rake by others) and wheel sizing and mixing selections will not be most peoples cup of cocoa. I plan on mixing a little '60s nostalgia street with modern funny car on the wheel combination, sizing and rake. I am putting 15" dia rims 12" wide with 29x15.5x15R tires on the rear and 17" dia rims 7" wide with 235x45x17R tires up front. The wheels will also be one design for front and another for the rear. The difference in sizes also helps 2 other things. It allows for larger brakes in the front and is how I plan to get most of the rake from front to rear. I know this is my build and ideas but was also looking for a bit of input on my idea with mixing the wheels.

These are the sizes compared with specs.

These are the front wheels.

These are the rear wheels.

BobbyDigi

Just went to paint. Watch for more details soon.

RyderHeroBasilMAGIC
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

Just remember, it is the racing stripes that makes cars go fast.

BuddyJ
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

Oh man, this is awesome.

BuddyJ
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited March 2018

The thinner spoke wheels on the smaller tires should looked balanced.
    Are you going for the 'high front end' ala Gasser look? Or are you going to put some rake into it?
    You are going to use a 5 or 6 spd trans so that you can road trip this right? Such as Power Tour.
    What comp ratio will you end up with (and what fuel)?
    What power are you expecting, 700hp? 750hp?

edited March 2018

@edcentric said:
    The thinner spoke wheels on the smaller tires should looked balanced.
    Are you going for the 'high front end' ala Gasser look? Or are you going to put some rake into it?
    You are going to use a 5 or 6 spd trans so that you can road trip this right? Such as Power Tour.
    What comp ratio will you end up with (and what fuel)?
    What power are you expecting, 700hp? 750hp?

Yes, the thinner spokes up front on the lower narrower tires up front and the deep heavier wheels on the massive rear tires is how I am going. Part of the plan is to incorporate the different rim diameters in the look and feel of the rake of the car. Since the wheel wells on the car are cut higher in the front than the rear I plan on matching the distance between the top edge of the rims front and rear by using the different rim diameters. They will be about 2 inches above the rims front and rear with a total rake of between 2 to 3 inches higher in the rear. So no gasser look. The front will be close to stock height with an overall slightly higher look.

I have a 6 speed auto that is The same as last year's F150 and Mustang feeding 4.56 gears and 29 inch tall rear tires.

The comp ratio is 11.2 and can run 89 octane and up thanks to the EFI on the engine. I plan on running 93 pump gas most of the time. The engine was dynoed and tuned 2 weeks ago with both 93 pump and 110 ULR. The results are 723hp/716lbf on 93 and 748/733 on 110 at the flywheel. The total weight of car components is now known @ 2764 lbs!!!

Edited: I put in the wrong axle ratio and now corrected.

BuddyJ
    edited April 2018

@d3k0y said:
    Just remember, it is the racing stripes that makes cars go fast.

And here is proof from a real race car driver that flames are better.

I love the Saturn V reference in the clip.