SPOILERS HERE - StarWars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi Post Viewing Extravaganza - SPOILERS HERE

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

RE: Phasma

General Grievous was SUPER FUCKING COOL, his character made little to no sense, had no backstory or build-up, and just went out in a blaze of glory. He served as a foil to Obi-Wan, that was it.

Phasma is this for Finn.

CantiGarg
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

My prediction for the last movie: there will be an epic last fight between rey and kylo, and in the end he in a moment of clarity he will ask her to kill him, because he can't change and become good

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

@Cliff_Forster said:
    I have a theory on why Yoda seemed so physical, why Luke could physically hand Leia Han's Dice from light years away... Ahch-To is a sort of time space warping force hole. The pit there, where the light and dark collide, the moment with multiple Rey's... It's a deeper science fiction kind of 4th dimension thing. Ahch-To, the rules of normal time space don't apply, that's why Yoda can suddenly do stuff in the physical world, why Luke can transport himself through time space to actually physically hand Leia something and actually touch her one last time. Ahch-To, that pit on the planet, it's a special place where time space is bent.

You heard it here first. That's my theory.

However:

When Kylo Ren picks up the dice in the base on Crait after they abandon it....

The dice ghost away and disappear in his hands.

They were also an illusion.

Massalinie
  • It's real, just not in the same dimension??

I'm not 100% sure how to explain it, but I'm fairly confident Luke can't do that, and Yoda can't touch Luke unless they are on Ahch-To. That pit, where light and dark collide, it's the source of immense power that a Jedi can tap into. Use it to create an alternate reality of sorts. In Science Fiction what we might typically refer to as the 4th dimension. It seems like something Rian Johnson would be into, I think he sees Star Wars as a science fiction canvas as much as a fantasy one. I've always felt that Star Wars had more in common with Tolkien than Star Trek. A Long Time Ago in a Galaxy Far Far Away.... It's a fairy tale more than a hard science fiction story, but what if Johnson saw that as limiting, maybe a little too simplistic, and he decided, what Star Wars needs is a little more sci fi, something to get the viewer thinking a bit more about what is going on.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

I don't see this as a problem.

When Luke wanted it to, his force-projection of himself could interact with the environment (handing the dice to Leia, battling with Kylo Ren, etc), and not interact the same way.

So when Luke becomes one with the force, anything he left to manifest itself physically disappears.

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian

@primesuspect said:
    RE: Phasma

General Grievous was SUPER FUCKING COOL, his character made little to no sense, had no backstory or build-up, and just went out in a blaze of glory. He served as a foil to Obi-Wan, that was it.

Phasma is this for Finn.

The Star Wars Clone Wars animated series that took place between "Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of the Sith" told a good story on how General Grievous rose to power.

BobbyDigi
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited December 2017

Try to make an awesome scene, cause confusion...

It seems enough people thought the scene of silence was an audio issue that AMC put up spoiler ridden signs in 660 theaters to explain their sound system was not a problem.

Link

-Digi

GnomeQueenCliff_ForsterMassalinie
  • @BobbyDigi said:
    Try to make an awesome scene, cause confusion...

It seems enough people thought the scene of silence was an audio issue that AMC put up spoiler ridden signs in 660 theaters to explain their sound system was not a problem.

Link

-Digi

I was so impressed by that. It's kind of like that neat sound effect in the asteroid chase scene in Attack of the Clones when Jango Fett is dropping these charges to clear the way and the burst of light silent followed by this sort of ripple of sound out in the distance. I thought it was effective, made the moment feel more intense somehow.

• I'm going to do my second viewing this weekend, finally get around to taking the kids (The one thing about a Christmas release is there is just too much to do)....

I have good reason to think I'll enjoy it more now. That initial emotional kind of shock will have worn off and I'll just be more willing to accept it for what it is, but then... I got to thinking.

This has been an incredible year for film hasn't it? I mean 2017 winding down and I've seen at least ten films this year that may be better than a Star Wars film and that's not a bad thing.

Blade Runner 2049 may have been my favorite film this year, but consider what Logan did for the comic hero genre, think about how fun the new Guardians, Spider-Man and Thor installments were. Hell even M. Night Shayamalan made a good film this year with Split. Baby Driver, IT, Get Out, Dunkirk, Wonder Woman, The Shape of Water... 2017 was the year for fantastic film. Other than Justice League I can't say I went to the theater and saw a movie that was awful.

primesuspect
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian

@Cliff_Forster said:
    Most importantly I realized how brilliant Mark Hamill was in this. That moment that really upset me the first time around, the idea that my hero would ever for even a second consider murdering someone in his sleep... I got something out of the performance this time, something that I couldn't realize in the shock of the first viewing. Hamill was perfect, although the milk scene grossed my wife out, which I considered a bonus.

That was the absolute biggest takeaway for me. Mark Hamill was perfect. Performance of his career/life. It was incredible.

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited January 2018

Forgive me if this has come up before... but what was the third lesson? First is the force does not belong to the Jedi. The 2nd is that the Jedi Order's legacy was failure. Did I miss the third or was it intestinally left out so Force ghost Luke and Rey have a reason to chat in the next film?

edited January 2018

I think it's hilarious that people are so tied up in continuous stimulation that even a short silence makes them think something is wrong. Even when you think about the fact that sound effects in space is actually a problem.

I was so completely blown away by that scene, and the total lack of sound for that moment is part of what makes it so perfect. I can't help but feel a little disappointed in humanity that the impact of that decision was lost on so many.

Cliff_ForsterGHoosdum
  • I thought of it as lightning. You see it first off in the distance, then you hear it roll off. Plus, there was a precedent for this in a Star Wars film already.

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2018

@AlexDeGruven said:
    I can't help but feel a little disappointed in humanity that the impact of that decision was lost on so many.

Anecdotally, both theaters I saw it in (in different states) were suitably silently awed by it.

MiracleManSbright

@Linc said:

@AlexDeGruven said:
    I can't help but feel a little disappointed in humanity that the impact of that decision was lost on so many.

Anecdotally, both theaters I saw it in (in different states) were suitably silently awed by it.

Same here, fortunately. I'm not sure I want to live somewhere that this was a problem.

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited January 2018

Noticed in first viewing, fully caught in second, fully enjoyed in the third:

Kylo: The supreme ruler is dead.

Hux: Long live the supreme ruler.

Also noticed during third viewing: Rey leaving before her training is done paralleling Luke doing the same in Empire.

-Digi

Cliff_Forster
    edited January 2018

@BobbyDigi said:
    Noticed in first viewing, fully caught in second, fully enjoyed in the third:

Kylo: The supreme ruler is dead.

Hux: Long live the supreme ruler.

Also noticed during third viewing: Rey leaving before her training is done paralleling Luke doing the same in Empire.

-Digi

I think it's cute how many outlandish internet conspiracy theory's there are around the death of Snoke. It's simple, Ren blocks his mind control, kills him to assume control. Control is what he desires, not a father figure, not a mentor. Han, Luke, Snoke all let him down and now he is in charge. There would be zero point in taking the story anywhere else. Snoke is dead, he didn't perform some force trick to hop in another body, or isn't some projection to fool Rey or anyone else. It was a natural progression of the story. Student kills Dad, one mentor directly, another indirectly. It's who Kylo Ren is. That scene is simple but effective. It establishes the new chain of command as if there were any doubt.

My bet is Kylo Ren will force choke Hux to death early on in the next one, but I really, really want to see a Rathtar eat him while he is reading some kind of intergalactic Jack Welch type management book on the toilet. That is how I would do it. Disney, call me.

Kwitko
  • MassalinieMassalinie _k's Waifu Texas Icrontian
    edited January 2018

The silence reminded me of Firefly. Star Wars has always done sounds in space, even in this film. So I guess I get why people found it strange, although it seemed perfect to me.

Yeah. This, and the shock-grenade scene from Clones are the only 2 instances where I can really recall total silence in a Star Wars space scene. There's always the rumble of engines, or laser blasts, or music every other time. The impact of that total silence was immense.

• DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

AlexDeGruven
  • DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian