Nintendo is delightfully weird.

I'm not sure what to make of it?

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

Rewinding to kid @drasnor, I would have been all about this. I would be even more about it if there were obvious ways to extend and expand it just by cutting my imagined thing out of cardboard without having to think about software. Or, maybe I have to think about software too but it's framed in a development paradigm that makes sense for a kid whose creative skills are at the macaroni art and cardboard cutout level.

I'm not seeing anywhere a story to extend LABO's capabilities though so it seems like it wouldn't have the lasting fun factor of, say, LEGOs.

Cliff_Forster
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

My mind was blown by all the possibilities, especially if, as @drasnor says, the platform is extensible.

Cliff_Forster
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited January 2018

Nintendo is the only company that sees all the childlike wonder in gaming. Everyone else, is ESPORTS, SHOW OFF YOUR DOPE MOVES ON TWITCH, VR, MORE POWER!!!! But Nintendo is like, let's build toys out of cardboard.... It counters everything you have come to expect. I don't know what to make of it. I don't own a switch, but my grandson digs it and the idea of building a robot costume together that he can interact with is appealing.

Only Nintendo and cats can make cardboard fun.

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

I foresee a lot of really annoyed parents putting these together for their kids next xmas.

pigflipper
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian

And just as annoyed when they're destroyed in 11 minutes, because cardboard

GnomeQueenMassalinie
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited January 2018

Don't be down on cardboard. I had an MRO account with a Weyerhaeuser corrugated plant near where I grew up in Dundalk MD. I sold them tools and fasteners so I'd get in the plant once a week, walk around, see the workers, see the product. They make real sheets of reinforced high strength corrugated that a grown man might have trouble ripping in half much less a kid. If Nintendo is releasing it you know they play tested it. It isn't Microsoft guys. Have some faith.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

I once built a 12" x 3" x 3" hollow pillar out of 20 lb bond paper that weighed ~4 oz and supported an 80 lb compressive load. It was disqualified from the competition because the footprint was slightly too small; in which young drasnor learned about manufacturing tolerances.

Cliff_Forster
  • DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian