Need help with what people currently like on home finishes, styles, etc.

Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy KnobPflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian

Moving in the next year and looking for input on what everyone likes style and finish wise in houses. I am in the Austin area with a 12 year old 3 BR, 2 bath with office, formal dining 1900+ SF. And going to do refresh on the place prior to selling. Any and all help is appreciated.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

In the Austin area, look at the decor in houses from Meritage and Milestone. They can barely keep up with demand, so they must be doing something right.

Mt_Goat
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian

@Mt_Goat

Just general refresh to stage for selling? Neutral paint colors, brushed nickel hardware/faucets/etc. Do you have any pictures of what the current house looks like? Have you met with a selling realtor yet? They usually give a lot of staging advice as well. But having had to stage/sell two houses, I'm glad to share some input too if I can see some pictures.

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian

@Thrax said:
    In the Austin area, look at the decor in houses from Meritage and Milestone. They can barely keep up with demand, so they must be doing something right.

Thanks for someone to look at. Then again, in the second hottest real estate market in the country it's kind of hard to do much wrong. ;)

edited March 2018

@WagsFTW

It is just a general refresh to sell. Some fresh paint, flooring, countertops and hardware. We just redid the front landscape last summer and now waiting for the greenery to fill back in after winter. Yes, we talked with 2 different realtors, who kind of contradicted each other on the hardware finishes and flooring. One said chrome door knobs and sink fixtures with wood floors. And the other said brushed nickel with ceramic floors.

@Mt_Goat you have a beautiful home!!

It looks like you already have some brushed nickel light fixtures, etc. - just continue with that. It doesn't show fingerprints/waterspots.

I don't know what's popular in Texas, but I'd prefer wood flooring in a house with simple/neutral area rugs. But I live in a cooler climate, and only like tile in kitchen/bathrooms - it's too cold for living areas.

Leave the bathroom white/light. Also, it looks like you're going to paint some darker colors - would not recommend. Go light/neutral. You have beautiful tall ceilings and lots of windows. Lighter paint colors (think cream/light/gray, etc.) will reflect the light and make the space look even bigger. And do light drapery (and make sure drapes/blinds are open during pictures/showings).

And I'm sure they've told you, but declutter big time for staging. Remove everything from above and on cabinets (maybe leave 1-3 simple vases, a bowl, or plant up there). Remove all personal family photos.

Some realtors will talk you into switching everything. Be cautious to not spend too much money updating if you're not going to get it back. Fixtures/paint will go a long way, but if the carpet is clean/good condition, you may want to leave it. Some people will also have their own tastes and want to switch some things. Just decluttering/simplifying and lighter/neutral paint colors will go a long away. Oh, and you may want to remove all signs of having pets when it comes to photos/showings. I hope that helps. Good luck!

Mt_Goat
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

From overhearing my wife watching home-selling shows, I know this: If you want the house to look better, all you have to do is knock down a wall.

WagsFTWBetsyDLinc
    edited March 2018

@WagsFTW
    Thank you. We replaced all the lighting when we moved in. There are now ceiling fans in every room which is a very big thing here. We also installed LED pot lighting in the kitchen and removed the pendants throughout the house. The ceilings are 10 ft throughout with a 5x5 chimney skylight in the kitchen. I'm thinking of leaving the kitchen cabinets and just replace the counter tops with granite and new light or white tile for the backsplash. The master bath will get a new all glass shower. We are leaning towards replacing the Hollywood lighting and mirror with individual lights and mirrors over each sink basin. Also both bathrooms have clamshell sinks that will be replaced with new more modern styles. Do people really like the bowl on counter style or are the shallow trough styles preferable?

Oh, the place will be empty except for professional staging when it goes to sale. :)

• BlueTattooBlueTattoo Boatbuilder Houston, TX Icrontian

For a good showing, make sure that the house is clean and uncluttered. Get rid of what you don't want to move now, rather than later, and hide the rest in temporary storage. Neutral color for the walls. New carpet unless they're in really good shape. New counter tops might pay for themselves, but I don't think I'd spend the money on that unless yours are damaged. The house is not old.

We are currently looking for a new house and my cues are from my wife, who has rejected a perfect place because the carpets were dirty and walls needed paint. I tried to get her to look beyond that, since it was priced about $15 or 20K low, but she would/could not do it. She may not be a unique house shopper.

Regardless, in this market it will sell fast, the variable is for how much. The number that your real estate agent will suggest is for them to make a very quick sell. Add $10-15,000 to it and take an extra week or two. You can always lower the price and claim to be a motivated seller if it doesn't don't get the interest it deserves.

Find a good book about how to sell a house and one about how to buy one. There are lots of things to know. Good luck selling and buying!

Mt_GoatWagsFTWGnomeQueen

@BlueTattoo said:
    For a good showing, make sure that the house is clean and uncluttered. Get rid of what you don't want to move now, rather than later, and hide the rest in temporary storage. Neutral color for the walls. New carpet unless they're in really good shape. New counter tops might pay for themselves, but I don't think I'd spend the money on that unless yours are damaged. The house is not old.

@Mt_Goat Yeah, counters... my parents saved a lot of money refacing laminate counters with a more modern laminate that almost looked like granite instead of spending the money on granite that might not be the style a new buyer wants! But a light/white backsplash would also look amazing and will help brighten up the kitchen. I also don't think you need new cupboards.

For the bathrooms, don't do bowl-type sinks or anything extravagant. Do an all-in-one vanity with sink/counter, or the counter/sink combination - those can look really nice and you can get ones that look similar to granite as well. Or just do a simple sink. I personally would hate a bowl-on-top sink.

Just my two-cents :)

Mt_Goat

**JUST A LITTLE CLARIFICAION. I AM LLOKING FOR STYLE CUES. I ALREADY KNOW ALL THE DO'S, DONTS AND TIPS FOR SELLING A HOME. ** After all I have done this several times before in my 63 years. I am just trying to tap into the fact that the average age of this forum is in the median buyers age of my area. We are going to move into our new home prior to listing this house for sale. So it will not be cluttered, dirty or have anyting personal in the house. Then it will be professionally staged before it is ever shown. I expect it to sell from the open house after multiple offers push the closed price up well beyond the asking price. :cool:

But I do appreciate all the good comments so far! Please keep the styling ideas coming, especially the minutia details.

WagsFTWBuddyJ

@WagsFTW said:

@BlueTattoo said:

@Mt_Goat Yeah, counters... my parents saved a lot of money refacing laminate counters with a more modern laminate that almost looked like granite instead of spending the money on granite that might not be the style a new buyer wants! But a light/white backsplash would also look amazing and will help brighten up the kitchen. I also don't think you need new cupboards.

For the bathrooms, don't do bowl-type sinks or anything extravagant. Do an all-in-one vanity with sink/counter, or the counter/sink combination - those can look really nice and you can get ones that look similar to granite as well. Or just do a simple sink. I personally would hate a bowl-on-top sink.

Just my two-cents :)

Outstanding info! Thank you very much. This is exactly the kind of info I am seeking!!!

WagsFTW
    edited March 2018

@WagsFTW
    Please ignore my rant. Itwas certainly not directed toward you. You have been spot on so far!!! ;)

WagsFTW

@Mt_Goat

Ooh - also, do under cabinet LED strip lighting if you haven't yet. If you do a shiny white backsplash, it will look amazing. We did that in our new kitchen and I LOVE it!! Really brightens it up, adds nice work-lighting in the kitchen and makes the space look taller under the cabinets.

Mt_Goat

Another idea - go tour some open houses and get some finishing / paint color / detail ideas, too! Or browse kitchen/bathroom showrooms.

Mt_Goat

@WagsFTW said:
    @Mt_Goat

Ooh - also, do under cabinet LED strip lighting if you haven't yet. If you do a shiny white backsplash, it will look amazing. We did that in our new kitchen and I LOVE it!! Really brightens it up, adds nice work-lighting in the kitchen and makes the space look taller under the cabinets.

That was the first thing we did when we moved in. Yes, it is one of the best things to do to a kitchen.

WagsFTW
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

I would say the brown/yellow palette is going to be a hurdle in Austin. It makes the house feel cramped and dark.

WagsFTW

@Thrax said:
    I would say the brown/yellow palette is going to be a hurdle in Austin. It makes the house feel cramped and dark.

That's exactly part of what we are getting rid of. We did that between purchase and move in as it needed paint then. Now it's time to move on and painting is basically cheap and easy. It is also one of the best things to sell quickly.

ThraxWagsFTW
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2018

Granite counters are old and tired; everyone is doing engineered quartz these days. Undermount sinks are always a solid choice. Single-basin sink in the kitchen unless you're operating commercially or don't have a dishwasher.

EDIT: if you don't have a dishwasher, get one of those first and then get a single-basin sink!

WagsFTW
    edited March 2018

@drasnor said:
    Granite counters are old and tired; everyone is doing engineered quartz these days. Undermount sinks are always a solid choice. Single-basin sink in the kitchen unless you're operating commercially or don't have a dishwasher.

EDIT: if you don't have a dishwasher, get one of those first and then get a single-basin sink!

Actually we have a real nice dishwasher and I just ordered a stainless front panel for it. It is currently black and new as of about a year ago. Since it was over $2K and boasts 22db noise level that I can chuck dried on egg plates that come out clean I didn't see replacing it.

We also have disposal that is rated at 1.25 up and under 40db. But I am wondering why I keep hearing single sink. I currently have a composite with one huge side and a normal basin twin size on the other side. Also, what is the current desirable high end sink material? Typically in the past stainless has been the low end. And I was thinking undermount.??

Edit: I had real nice engineered quartz counter tops in the last house and they were horrible for staining.

@Mt_Goat said:
    We also have disposal that is rated at 1.25 up and under 40db. But I am wondering why I keep hearing single sink. I currently have a composite with one huge side and a normal basin twin size on the other side. Also, what is the current desirable high end sink material? Typically in the past stainless has been the low end. And I was thinking undermount.??

Edit: I had real nice engineered quartz counter tops in the last house and they were horrible for staining.

I personally have a 2-basin sink and I love it. I have one small side and one big side (small side has garbage disposal, big side for washing dishes). Stainless steel (very squared look and undermount) is very popular and what we have, a really deep one - we get tons of compliments on it when people come over. But some people like white, too. It's preference.

Quartz has come along way now. I've never had issues with staining so far on ours. It's more stone than resin now. You can get white/gray quartz that looks remarkably like marble. That's popular, but like I said, Quartz and granite is expensive. Weigh out your options and see if you really need to do it, or just reface with a new laminate. I think people are liking lighter/quartz counters now rather than dark granite anymore. People like bright and cheerful kitchens. And I'd do a light (maybe light gray with some white and brown tones to pull in the wood) counter if you're going to do white backsplash.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

The nice thing about the single basin is that you can get your stock pot, broiler pan, or wok completely in there for cleaning without whacking it against the divider constantly. If your double is big enough to do that then you're in good shape. I went stainless for mine with noise-damping material on the back. Mine isn't installed yet but mom has the same thing and hers is pretty quiet and really helps with clean-as-you-go on large items.

This is the sink we have and I absolutely love it. I can fit quite a bit in the large basin. If you have a wider cabinet, you can get even wider - we were a little constrained, but this one just fit. :)

https://www.lowes.com/pd/VIGO-29-in-x-20-in-Stainless-Steel-Double-Basin-Stainless-Steel-Undermount-Commercial-Residential-Kitchen-Sink/3432424

WagsFTW
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

I don't mean to beat to death topics that have already been covered, but your home is beautiful. I think the biggest bang for your buck will be a neutral paint scheme, followed by the minor kitchen updates (backsplash and maybe/maybe not counters). Going much further may not really have much ROI. I don't think the house will remain on the market very long if your price is in market range.

WagsFTW

According to a sales marketing agent last night, a 28K investment will yield a 45K+ ROI if done tastefully. The floor is worn, kitchen countertops are scratched up, master shower and both bathroom sinks need replaced in addition to paint to sell well. If our house wasn't the best elevation of the most popular original and resale model located on one of the 5 best lots in the subdivision we wouldn't be as concerned.

GHoosdum

Well, a lot has happened since the first post. We are now considering staying put instead of moving to Florida. But we are still doing some remodeling to a broader scope than originally planned on the house. Instead of under 30K we are now putting in about 45K. This includes removal of the brown 12"tile and all the brown carpet. And replacing it with new almost white 18" square porcelain tile installed on a 45° angle. There was a pony wall separating the entry from the dining area that is now gone. The mantle has been removed from the fireplace as well as the brown tiles. We are installing 32" square high polished espresso tiles from the floor to the 10' high ceiling. The TV is coming off the fireplace and the bedroom door next to it is being moved to the other side of the fireplace. The walls will all be painted light tones. Both bathrooms gutted with tub and shower in master turned into a massive 9' by 42" shower with heads and controls at both ends. High end granite that we got a steal of a deal on for the new espresso double sink vanity. Then going with a nice tub in the other bath and same new granite top. Here are demo pics.

Sample of new flooring.

SonorousThraxWagsFTW
    edited November 2018

About 10 days since demo day and staying in a hotel. We are finally looking to get to go home tomorrow. Our fingers are crossed.

Oh BTW, going home doesn't mean its finished or even livable. But at $300 a day for hotel and boarding 3 dogs it was adding up fast and coming from the Reno budget.

Thrax