If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

It's 2018. Are you serious?!

AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated.Meechigan Icrontian

Every now and then, I come across a document that was written less than 5 years ago and has something that is so jarringly out of date that (even if it makes sense when you really think about it) it takes me a second to process.

Today, I was browsing through the IBM Redbook on Power8 performance tuning and came across this gem:

Now, as I said, it makes sense when you think about it, as IBM (particularly in the AIX and i (AS/400) space) has to manage a LOT of legacy code, but the initial lolwut was fun.

So, yeah. Whatchagot?

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited 22 May

The software that is the backbone of our agency is web-based. No big deal, of course. It's still actively being developed. Also no big deal. Last update came in March.
    Software only runs on IE in compatibility mode, and uses... wait for it... ActiveX controls. To scan. And to print.

pigflipper
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

Fortran is still used in scientific computing. I've prefer Fortran90 though I've also maintained Fortran77 codebases. It is really good at what it does: language-intrinsic vector math (linear algebra).

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian

Yeah, I know. And COBOL is still really heavily in use in finance where they use mainframes, but it's still jarring to see it sometimes.

@Kwitko When I left the University in 2013, we still had vendor apps that REQUIRED IE6. I feel that pain.

• PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian

i work day to day in ruby on rails, which has its place but is basically looked at as ancient by any nerd under 30

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited 23 May

@PirateNinja said:
    i work day to day in ruby on rails, which has its place but is basically looked at as ancient by any nerd under 30

https://about.gitlab.com/jobs/#vacancies remote, pay NYC salary, works with Ruby

EDIT: I'm not saying you're wrong about nerds under 30, but you could say that about a lot of things that power core business features.

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian

These fuckin things are still used in 2018.

MAGIC
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited 24 May

@Canti said:
    These fuckin things are still used in 2018.

You have no idea how many checkbooks I've gone thru renovating this damn house. It's basically 50/50 these days whether you get "Here's my Stripe reader, done" or "I need a check for this deposit one week before work begins".

I think I used like 12 checks total before 2012, now I'm on like stack-o-checks #12.

PirateNinjaMAGIC
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian

I typically write 2 checks/month. Everything else is auto-pay or some other electronic means. I can see where projects like yours would necessitate it more than usual, though.

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

THESE FUCKING THINGS ARE STILL USED IN 2018!!!!

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Requiring FAX as if it is more secure than other options ^

My bank doesn't even provide checks, but can send one if I have an address and such.

• ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian

I work for a LARGE finance company, the customer system uses InfoLease software...no GUI. For perspective, I first worked with this software in 1996, and it looked old then.

I'm sure when we hire IT guys and they see it they must have similar reactions to the OP. We've been scheduled for an upgrade for years and years, it keeps getting put on the back burner.

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville with a "P" Icrontian
    edited 24 May

@Kwitko said:
    THESE FUCKING THINGS ARE STILL USED IN 2018!!!!

I fax quite a bit for different things. But on the more modern side, I use an app on my phone to do it instead of one of those old boat anchors.