I don't have Magic on the schedule, but here's a few things I can organize impromptu in the boardgaming area.
(I'm happy to teach anyone to play Magic! It takes about an hour and needs to be before dinner.)
General house rules:
- I'll provide the cards. No fee. I keep the cards. Provided sleeves are required.
- I'll provide basic deck building tips so you can't go too far afield.
- We'll just play 3 games (technically "3 rounds of 1 game each"). This isn't a great measure of skill, but it does go twice as fast and we're maximizing fun not tournament grading.
- Free mulligans if you draw 0, 1, 6, or 7 lands. (This & the next house rule are to offset the 1-game rounds format.)
- Scry 2 at the start of each game regardless of mulligan. (Look at the top 2 cards of your library. You may put those cards on the top of your library or the bottom in any order/combination.)
- These formats are in order of card quality we'll use, time investment, and fun level (IMO). As in, the first format takes the most time, but it's also the most fun with the best cards. (Personally I think Pack Wars is most fun with garbage sets.)
- Fast Draft: 4-8 players, 2-3 hours. We pick-and-pass from 3 packs each and build a deck.
- Fast Sealed: 2-8 players, 1.5-2 hours. We each get 6 packs and built a deck from those cards.
- Pack Wars: 2 players, 1-1.5 hours. We each get 3 packs & shuffle in land without looking.
Would I play a proper draft or sealed tournament if folks want to? Of course. Just be aware that's 4-5 hours.
Lastly, a few rules about cards generally:
- Be super careful with drinks while playing.
- Don't put drinks on the large shelves that hold my card binders in the pub room.
- Ask me before taking out any binders (EACH TIME). Never remove singles from them.
- I may provide you packs to play Pack Wars without me if you ask nicely.