If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Anyone ever been to "Star Wars" canyon in Death Valley

Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy KnobPflugerville with a "P" Icrontian
edited 6 Sep in The Pub

I am considering going to watch and photograph the military jets doing low level close course training there. And was wondering if anyone has been and could shed some light on this or maybe go there. It appears to be about 3 1/2 hrs out of Vegas or 4+ from the LA area. I like watching the jets in flight and the distinct viewing perspective from level to and above the aircraft is really appealing to me.

Comments

• aspieRommelaspieRommel Icrontic politico Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

Are those F-35s? Ewwww...

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville with a "P" Icrontian
    edited 6 Sep

@aspieRommel said:

Raptors baby, Raptors. F22, the plane the F35 hopes to be.

However, anything currently flown can be see at this location. The clip above has many including F15C, F15E, F16, F/A18, F22, F35, Mig 31, Su27 and many more.

edited 6 Sep

Where's @drasnor? I bet you would be interested in going. And it's not far from home.

@Mt_Goat said:

@aspieRommel said:

Raptors baby, Raptors. F22, the plane the F35 hopes to be.

However, anything currently flown can be see at this location. The clip above has many including F15C, F15E, F16, F/A18, F22, F35, Mig 31, Su27 and many more.

I couldn’t tell from the frontal view. Looked like the bulge was where the singular engine of the 35 would be...

Its OK, I'm just being a jerkwad. But dont get me started about singular bulges vs double bulges. :pirate:

• ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian

@Mt_Goat said:
    Its OK, I'm just being a jerkwad. But dont get me started about singular bulges vs double bulges. :pirate:

OwO let's talk about bulges daddy

BobbyDigiCreeperbane2

@Thrax said:

@Mt_Goat said:

OwO let's talk about bulges daddy

I knew I could draw out the trolls. ;)

• ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian

I WILL ALWAYS TAKE THE BAIT. I CAN'T HELP IT.

KwitkoUPSLynxMt_Goat
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited 6 Sep

When you recognize the bulge.

BasilUPSLynxGargoyle
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx Top EA shill, The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian

I've never heard of this, but it sounds freaking amazing. A bit too much of a haul for me unfortunately. I hope you go and get some great shots, be sure and share them if ya do.

Basically this is America’s version of the Mach Loop...

Mt_Goat
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian

I have interest. You got a date range in mind? I presume there is a schedule of when they would be training. Sounds pretty awesome.

My stepfather worked on the F-22 and is now retired and likes to travel so I'll have to see if he and my mom would be interested in the trip also.

-Digi

@cola, We have wayz of making you Taco. Just think about it. -Digi

@BobbyDigi, I am thinking about going to the drag races in Vegas October 27 and 28. Then I was thinking of jet watching after that. My sis has a pass for me to get into SEMA from October 30 to November 2. And if I make that trip I will drive my pickup.

I understand that there is no set schedule that we can use. So they just show up and there is always the chance of nothing, a little or a lot.

Oooo... That week of Halloween is bad for me. I'll be in Vegas most of the week for a trade show and probably can't take time off after that for a few weeks then we are getting to holidays. Welp.

I'll step back with the "Post pics!" crowd.

-Digi

That's the same week I will be in Vegas.

Here's a link to some good info on the place.

https://www.rkellenaers-photography.nl/RainbowCanyon

Gargoyle

@BobbyDigi said:
    Oooo... That week of Halloween is bad for me. I'll be in Vegas most of the week for a trade show and probably can't take time off after that for a few weeks then we are getting to holidays. Welp.

I'll step back with the "Post pics!" crowd.

-Digi

SEMA????

Unfortunately not. It's a pool industry show and my company runs a tight schedule so I don't get free time or would be awesome to meet up

-Digi

@BobbyDigi said:
    Unfortunately not. It's a pool industry show and my company runs a tight schedule so I don't get free time or would be awesome to meet up

-Digi

:(

• drasnordrasnor Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

In for any organized shenanigans. I haven't been over there yet.

@drasnor said:
    In for any organized shenanigans. I haven't been over there yet.

In that case, PM me with your availability. I am still considering the week of Halloween.

• Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian

@Thrax said:
    I WILL ALWAYS TAKE THE BAIT. I CAN'T HELP IT.

So what you're saying is all we have to do is dangle a little meat for you....

It looks like I will be changing my schedule to try this in early February. I would be driving from the LA area if I get to go then.

Thrax

No worries, we'll be here. Might even be cool that time of year.

Mt_Goat

Hey @drasnor, your job doesn't give you a gate pass to Edwards? I have been reading about the test flight museum on base. It really sounds cool.

Tragically not. On the other hand, most of the on-base museums have tours though we'll probably have to apply well in advance. Looks like the February 2019 tour is full though: https://www.edwards.af.mil/Tours/