Ily makes Maps! (Dungeons and Dragons)

IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy CanadianToronto, Ontario Icrontian

So I've been recruited by some buddies of mine to run a game of Savage Worlds for them in the near future, specifically Deadlands Reloaded.

Normally I've made do with hand-drawn maps and physical description but this time I figured I'd put something better together for my players now that we've migrated to Fantasy Grounds as its a neat tool plus with few of us able to meet in person it allows me to run virtual dice alongside having interactive maps and the like.

So another tool I've been using in preparation is Dungeon Painter Studio its a neat tool for putting together maps but altogether the asset library isn't very good so I tried hopping into photoshop and seeing if I could make my own, YMMV.

This pseudo temple is my first attempt at making a map using purely vanilla DPS assets.

My first attempt with workshop mods at making a river

My attempt at making my own river in PS after I got fed up with the DPS assets looking like crap (This is the only thing I made myself rather than pieced assets together)

My most recent map utilizing higher quality assets (Yes I pieced this together but I'm still happy with it, if I were to put together everything manually itd never get done.)

CBThraxprimesuspectdrasnorBuddyJBobbyDigiGHoosdum

Comments

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

@CB ran our Sunday night D&D sessions on Fantasy Grounds for years so he might be a good resource if you have any questions. Also, I miss playing, so if you need any more players once you get started I'd be interested.

GHoosdum
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

@CrazyJoe said:
    @CB ran our Sunday night D&D sessions on Fantasy Grounds for years so he might be a good resource if you have any questions. Also, I miss playing, so if you need any more players once you get started I'd be interested.

I'd really appreciate some tips about how the program works, I've been trying to figure out how to use story templates and either its not terribly intuitive or I'm misunderstanding how to put things together within it. (Something about loot tables and random encounter tables that could help add some differentiation to my sessions)

Also if my buddies like this attempt enough I might consider re-running it for a few IC peeps provided there's interest for it.

• sazboomsazboom White Lake MI Icrontian

I like your maps @Ilriyas, especially the desert one. Maps like these are the reason I love running games on VTT apps like Fantasy Grounds and Roll20, it really brings the world into focus for the players.

So as for FG, its a difficult app to get working right. I had a year long campaign in it up to a couple months ago and just quit it for Roll20 because I was fed up with how hard everything was to do that I wanted to do. To be fair, FG's combat automation tools are FAR superior to R20, but that comes at a cost of limited flexibility. So I switched back to R20 and haven't looked back. But I still know a few tricks in FG if you wanted to post or DM me any questions, Ill try to answer them if I can.