Captain Marvel SPOILER discussion

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian

They went all-in on Captain Marvel being the most powerful superhero, hands-down, and it's awesome. She's basically primed to be the anti-Thanos and I'm here for it. Since she is essentially the blue Infinity Stone personified, I wonder how she'll react/interact with Thanos' gauntlet when the time comes.

The post-credits scene where she is just suddenly "there" with the Avengers was fantastic. No pomp, no explosive entry... just... I'm here, where's Fury?

Also, KITTY

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

Repeat after me...

"I will feed my cat whenever it asks"

primesuspectCliff_Forster
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

I'll give you $50 to turn into a Venus Flytrap!

Movie was amazing. I can't wait for Endgame.

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

Flerken cat is best cat.

mertesn
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited March 2019

So good. So much fun. Such a great story.

I was a little taken aback at the beginning when they portrayed the Kree as this utopian technocracy, since they were already set up to be the bad guys in Guardians vol 1. It's an interesting take on them, and it was cool to see Ronan rounding out the circle of the movies.

Very cool switcharoo with the Skrulls just being refugees and the Kree being oppressors.

The Stan Lee tribute in the Marvel splash was awesome except for the person in the row behind me cutting onions.

End credits scenes were fantastic. Agreed that her just popping up ready to get to work was perfect. Anyone who's owned a cat knows the terror of that sound. Fortunately, not everyone has had a cat that swallowed a tesseract.

Older kids went with the wife last night. She called me from the theater asking if I wanted to go today and she bought tickets for the 5 of us before she even left.

As we were waiting for the end credits scenes, the oldest was asking if we could go again tomorrow.

Edit: Minn-Erva is new waifu. Change my mind.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Thought it was decent, maybe mid-tier for an MCU character intro movie. I like her character, though. She's likeable.

Wasn't wowed, but glad I saw it.

MAGICDontCallMeKelso
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@AlexDeGruven said:
    Minn-Erva is new waifu. Change my mind.

You misspelled Brie Larson

• Captain Marvel subverted expectations in a grand way.

I thought it was one of the most creative origin stories they have ever done. Let's face it, the character intro origin stories have been a bit formulaic. Hell Iron Man and Dr. Strange are pretty much the same film, a good film mind you, but the same.

I had low expectations for this based on the trailers. Captain Marvel was not only another win for the MCU, it's one of the better films they have done.

It's got some depth if you allow yourself to see it. Her humanity, her imperfection, her emotion, it's what makes her heroic, and what makes the cold ultra logical Cree and Thanos villainous. That moment when she keeps getting up after falling down, it got to me man. I'm a softie.

Plus cool music because the 90's were awesome.

RyanMMTushon
  • DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

I'm with Thrax on this. Saw Captain Marvel, it was alright, it was a good buddy cop movie, but it felt like a really short movie compared to the other character intro movies. I wish it had been a bit longer and delved into a bit more, maybe showed her helping the Skrulls find a new homeworld.

• DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA Icrontian

AlexDeGruvenChoochCliff_Forster
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

All cats in the Marvel Universe are flergens, headcanon accepted.

Cliff_Forster

Anyone who's ever been a cat owner instinctively panicked a tiny bit during the end-credits. That sound is unmistakable.

mertesnCliff_Forster
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2019

@primesuspect said:
    They went all-in on Captain Marvel being the most powerful superhero, hands-down, and it's awesome.

Seen it twice now and while I enjoyed the movie, this has become my biggest issue with it.

You mean to tell me that for 20+ years, Fury has known she's out there and willing to help, and he waits until Thanos has snapped before he presses the call button? It just doesn't make sense to me that despite all this terrible stuff going on, cities being destroyed, people dying, Fury just doesn't bother to call for help when they could have clearly used it.

I get that the Avengers initiative was designed to protect Earth from these new other-worldly threats without the need for Captain Marvel being there, but they clearly weren't getting the job done once Thanos showed up. She should have been the first one he called in.

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian

So I'm with you, I thought the same thing.

2 things I've told myself:
    1) it's a comic book, after all, that's how these goofy things work
    2) maybe Thanos isn't the issue I think he is, he's not the bigbad that Fury's holding the ace-up-the-sleeve for

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

Do we know what Fury has even been up to? Does he even know what Thanos is up to?

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

@GnomeQueen said:
    Do we know what Fury has even been up to? Does he even know what Thanos is up to?

Fury doesn't know shit. He dead. snap

• RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian

Yeah, I mean, the timeline in Infinity War is pretty compressed. It takes place over like what, a day or two? Fury doesn't have the resources he used to have, so even if he was looped in on what was going on, doubt there's fuck-all he could have done but brought a helicarrier to Wakanda to get nuked by those spaceships.

The Avengers were probably scrambling after the encounter with the Children in New York to locate Vision, maybe he helped with that and did some other shit behind the scenes, doubt it was much.

One thing that's been pointed out is we don't know that this is the first time Fury used the pager. He may have previously to no effect. Or he thought this was the first time the Avengers couldn't do it alone.

TiberiusLazarus

I thought Super Carlin Brothers did a pretty good rundown of why he didn't use it until then: