Game Video Capture Software?

NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
edited December 2004 in Gaming
I'm wanting to capture some video footage of when I play Battlefield 1942 but I am not sure what kind of software I need. I know there is some out there but I am having problems finding any. Does anyone know of any good ones I could download for free?

Norge

Comments

• NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited March 2004
    Yeah... I kinda found some software called FRAPS almost right after I made this post. I feel like a moron but at least I found it now!

Norge
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited March 2004
    Are you making a funny bf1942 vid?

Please post it when its done. I love watching those funny vids :)
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Fraps is the daddy. Nuff 'said :D
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2004
    He was playing BF1942 and sing fraps so maybe he will.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    The problem I have had with fraps is that you can only record video at 640x480. If your screen resolution is any higher than that, then FRAPS only records the top right or top left portion of your screen equalling to 640x480.

I would use a DV cam or something, and run the TV out from your video card to the DV Cam and just do it all like that. FRAPS can really slow down even the best machines(except Dualies which seem to love it hehe)
  • Rot-KatzeRot-Katze Pensacola, Florida
    edited March 2004
    if you buy the full Fraps 2.0 it is a hell of a lot better

I think 1024x768 is supported, in fact
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited March 2004
    Yeah I found the full version of Fraps and it lets me record the entire screen instead of just a corner. So far it has been working really well. The only downside is that the files are huge. I took video of a 4 minute or so sniping spree I went on in Battlefield 1942 and it came out to 800 MB. I even had it set to half size instead of full. I encoded it down to about 33 MB but the quality is pretty crappy.

Well I wasn't planning on making a funny video but I suppose I could. I was mainly wanting it to record some of my sniping sprees that I go on. Yesterday I did pretty good and got 23 kills before I was spotted. Coulda done a lot better if I didn't have to take 5 minutes just to run to the nearest ammo crate whenever I ran out of ammo. It was still a fun run though since I found a good spot right above an enemy base. Woulda been great if I coulda captured some video of it.

Norge
  • rykoryko new york
    edited March 2004
    Try SnagIt 7. I think there is a free trial, but it is defintily worth purchasing. It can capture anything. DX, openGl, etc... Lot of options with it, so it might take some time to figure out what works best. Good luck!

Don't forget to post your video....
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited March 2004
    Ditto for Snagit. I use it at work for all kinds of captures, great to capture menus to e-mail to clients for tech support calls. Makes any size video capture in AVI.

Dexter...
  • CD7CD7
    edited July 2004
    Don't know if this helps but if you don't want to spend that much here is another one for only 10 bucks http://www.easyscreencapturevideo.com
  • SquillSquill Chesterfield, Va
    edited July 2004
    Me and some friends at a lan party put together a BF1942 Stunt video, with System of a Down's Chic 'N' Stew playing in the background. I used FRAPS to record it. It's a great app. I got it before you had to purchase it to use it. If I can find it on any of my CD's I'll post it. Only problem is it's like an 70-80meg file. So if anyone has somewhere i can post it let me know. If not I'll try to find a place myself.
  • edited December 2004
    Ok, here is another one.
    http://www.screenrecordersoftware.com
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited October 2013
    The nostalgia in this post is insane.
    Norge said:

I'm wanting to capture some video footage of when I play Battlefield 1942

Norge said:

I kinda found some software called FRAPS

In all seriousness though what's a decent capture program? I'm not a big fan of FRAPS

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    OBS has an option to save locally. I've not used the feature but it is there and free so probably worth a try.

-Digi
    MrTRiot
  • ezvid, just don't install the toolbar
    midga
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    obs is quite good. easy to set up and free
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    OBS does exactly what I want. Did a quick tester and it works almost perfectly with local save
    BobbyDigi
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    Almost 9 year necro. New record?
    primesuspect