Battlefield Vietnam released today

CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
edited March 2004 in Gaming
Anyone know the min. system req. for it?

Comments

• kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    from the best buy website:

Minimum PC System Requirements

PC Video 64MB 3D-accelerated GeForce 3 video card

PC Processor Speed 933MHz

PC Processor Type Intel® Pentium® III processor

PC System Memory 256MB RAM

PC Additional Requirements Internet service required to access online features

PC Drive Type and Speed CD-ROM 16x

PC Hard Drive Space 1.5GB

PC Operating System Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me), Windows 2000, Windows XP
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited March 2004
    Thanks Kanez!! Which means my lamea$$ GeForce3 lives to fight another day! W00t freakin' w00t!!!!! :celebrate
    edited March 2004
    it's hard to believe that they are saying you need a 1Ghz cpu to play this game. do you realize how far we've come in such short time? I mean i remember when the original unreal came out and I read the box and it said you needed something like 400MB of drive space to install it and I was like OMFG 400 MB of drive space!!!?!??!??!? I went to a friend's house to play it because he had a PII with a voodoo 2 card and man did that game look spectacular on his computer. my measley amd 166 with a voodoo 1 was so choppy with that game. i installed it on my computer about 2 months ago to see how good it would look. it looks like crap by today's standard, the characters are all so blocky. I wonder what games are gonna look like in another 6-8 years.
    edited March 2004
    i don't know dude, usually the minimum requirements are just that, in other words i wouldn't look for more than 10-20 fps, but let us know how you get along.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    The original Unreal flew on my Voodoo 3 3000 (16mb with glide baby!) :D
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Taken from the read me of my startup folder of Battlefield Vietnam :vimp::
    Minimum:
    933 Mhz CPU
    Directx 9.0b
    3D accelerated GeForce3 64 MB or equivalent DirectX9 compatible videocard
    256 Megabytes of RAM
    2 GB free hard drive space
    (additional space required for Windows swap-file and
    DirectX 9.0b installation)
    16x CD-ROM drive
    Directx 9.0b Compatible Sound Card
    MS compatible mouse
    Keyboard

Recommended:
    1.2 Ghz CPU
    Directx 9.0b
    3D accelerated GeForce3 64 MB or equivalent DirectX9 compatible videocard
    512 Megabytes of RAM
    16x CD-ROM drive
    MS compatible mouse
    Keyboard

Recommended for optimum performance:
    2.0 Ghz CPU
    Directx 9.0b
    Geforce 4 128 MB (Not MX) or equivalent DirectX9 compatible videocard
    512 Megabytes of RAM
    16x CD-ROM drive
    MS compatible mouse
    Keyboard

Think of it like a supped up version of the BF1942 mod Eve of Destruction. It's mostly about infantry combat. They threw in some DC feel into it, better looking engine and lots of new stuff that help the gameplay. The soundtrack is really sweet too. My only rant is that right now the game runs like crap on my system and from what I read, most people with ATi cards are having performance poblem too.

If anyone wants to know my system specs are:

AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2ghz)
    Asus A78NX (ND)
    768mb Samsung DDR333
    ATi Radeon 9700 NP (w/ Cat3.7's)
    Windows XP
  • ginipigginipig OH, NOES
    edited March 2004
    From what I read, most people with ATi cards are having performance poblem too.

Well that just blows...

I have similar specs, which means I got :Pwned:
  • edited March 2004
    Was I asleep at the wheel for this or what? I can't believe I missed the rollout of the game I had been anticipating for quite a while. I guess I'll have to go on an all-night binge of DC to cure this one. Darn it.

KingFish
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited March 2004
    It will run fine, but it will just not look as purty. I already gave you my suggestion. Those radeons make battlefield SOOOO purty compared to the geforce i used to run it on.
  • edited March 2004
    I'm waiting for the demo before I commit to buying the game myself.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    FormFactor wrote:
    It will run fine, but it will just not look as purty. I already gave you my suggestion. Those radeons make battlefield SOOOO purty compared to the geforce i used to run it on.
    Well not this time. Seems we're gonna have to wait for a patch and some new drivers.
    madmat wrote:
    I'm waiting for the demo before I commit to buying the game myself.
    AFAIK there isn't gonna be a demo.
  • edited March 2004
    That's too bad, if I can't try it (unless it's majorly cheap or I find it used for cheap) I won't buy it.
    edited March 2004
    Not worth downloading either cause if you don't have a legit cd key, you can't play online and single player sucks after playing for more than an hour. I suggest you try Battlefield 1942 w/ Eve of Destruction first since it should be cheaper now cause it's already 2yrs old.
  • edited March 2004
    Got B.F. '42 and E.O.D. and I wouldn't D/L B.F. Vietnam anyways...I'd rather have a legit copy. We have a decent used game dealer here, I'll probably find a used copy for $20 in 6 mo.s there.
    edited March 2004
    from what I read, most people with ATi cards are having performance poblem too.

It runs great on my Radeon9700pro.

And looks gorgeous.
    edited March 2004
    Well it runs like crap on mine. I can play at 1024x768 w/ high details but I get alot of stuttering.
  • edited March 2004
    VoE, the single player takes a lot more oomph since it has to run the AI. I bet your multiplayer experience will be better if your internet connection is good.

KingFish
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    So... so... does that mean my trusty old GeForce 2 Ultra won't play the game????? :sad2: What a travesty!!!

And I can't afford to get a new video card for a while!!!!

Oh noes!!!!

~Cyrix
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited March 2004
    Runs OK on GeForce3, I'm even using drivers that he game tells me are not supported. I have had some lockups, unsure what that's about...need to do some more digging, and maybe *GASP* actually update a driver! :)
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited March 2004
    I went out and bought the game last night. Tis good fun so far.

Norge
  • edited March 2004
    I have the newly purchased game in my hot little hands but haven't had a chance to install it yet due to the wife's insistence that we have an all day spring cleaning session. As soon as I finish tying her up and locking her in the closet I'll give my impressions.

KingFish
  • WorriedWorried STOCKPORT UK
    edited March 2004
    over here in the uk we have got Battlefield Vietnam out and i think Far Cry comes out tomorow.
    which one to buy first????
    p.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited March 2004
    BF:V runs rather crappy here.
    It lags and stutters badly, and it is reading of the harddrive constantly.

Can't wait for a decent patch.
    edited March 2004
    There's a lag patch at bf-v.com and what I did for the crappy performance, was use the latest Omega drivers (ATi), set the detail to medium and disable shadows and lighting. I now play at 1280x1024 with an average of 75-95fps depending on the map. You won't notice that much diffrence in quality.
    edited March 2004
    Worried wrote:
    over here in the uk we have got Battlefield Vietnam out and i think Far Cry comes out tomorow.
    which one to buy first????
    p.

I say BFVN but I havn't played farcry yet.