new 9800

MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
edited March 2004 in Hardware
I just got my new Radeon 9800 today. I took off the heatsink to examine the core and it said it is a R360. Isn't this a 9800XT core? If so, is there a anything I can do with this? It has Samsung memory. How much should this thing overclock?

Comments

• FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited March 2004
    Dude I ordered that same card. Should be here today I am so stoked!!!
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited March 2004
    From what I've found, it is a 9800XT core. I can flash the bios to the XT bios, but from what I've read I'll need better cooling on the card. The XT bios basically just ups the voltage so it can overclock higher. That also means the added voltage will generate more heat.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited March 2004
    Madball wrote:
    From what I've found, it is a 9800XT core. I can flash the bios to the XT bios, but from what I've read I'll need better cooling on the card. The XT bios basically just ups the voltage so it can overclock higher. That also means the added voltage will generate more heat.

I flashed my Saphire 9800pro to the xt bios without any additional cooling it worked fine. Having said that its now watercooled so I cant comment on long term stability.

Regards

Jim
    edited March 2004
    Jimborae, what was you clock settings with the XT bios on the stock air cooling?
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited March 2004
    Madball wrote:
    Jimborae, what was you clock settings with the XT bios on the stock air cooling?

Um 411 on the core & 365 on the memory if I remember correctly.

Regards

Jim
  • rykoryko new york
    edited March 2004
    does anybody have the sapphire 9800xt 128mb BIOS file?

Please post if you do..........i have the same card from newegg and would like to give it a try.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2004
    The R360 is the R9800 core.
    edited March 2004
  • rykoryko new york
    edited March 2004
    Thanks Madball!

Have you successfully completed the flash? Which version from that page did you use? What kinda cooling did you use? 3dMark03 scores before and after?
    edited March 2004
    Use this file and read the instructios. I am using stock cooling and have the bios to set the clocks at 411 core and 365 mem.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited March 2004
    Cool, i will try that later today after work. Did you use artic silver on the stock hsf? Are you getting any artifacts?
    edited March 2004
    I used artic silver 5, and no artifacts at all. You can use one of the bios editor's to change the clock settings if you like.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited March 2004
    Awesome!!!

I will use this flash the first chance I get.

Also I threw one of those Arctic Cooling VGA Silencers on it. Does that look sufficient for cooling at and above XT speeds?
  • edited March 2004
    Actually, H.I.S. use that same cooler on their 9800XT so I'd say it's fine for yours.