topics in digital media thread

maxanonmaxanon Montreal
edited July 2003 in Internet & Media
I'm just wondering if discussing films, in terms of plot and "amazingness" is relevant to this thread. I always thought it was an OT type of thing.

I understand talking about technical details of a film. Can anyone clarify?

And, to ask a question: Does anyone think that DLP (or something similar, be it DLP2, 3...) will replace CRT projectors in cinemas?

max.

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I think part of Mack's intent in getting this section made was to split off movie discussion from the Pub, so I think giving intelligent opinions of them is perfectly admissible. :)

On your second question: Probably yes, but very very very very slowly.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I'm surprised at how fast the theatres in my area are adopting digital projectors. Every major theatre in the area has at least two screens that are DLP, some have all DLP.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited July 2003
    maxanon said
    I'm just wondering if discussing films, in terms of plot and "amazingness" is relevant to this thread. I always thought it was an OT type of thing.

I understand talking about technical details of a film. Can anyone clarify?

And, to ask a question: Does anyone think that DLP (or something similar, be it DLP2, 3...) will replace CRT projectors in cinemas?

max.

I too have wondered why discussing a film's plot was relevant to the digital media forum. It seems more like a thread that belongs on the IMDB discussion forums. Perhaps if enough people want to talk about movies, there should be a movie-talk forum as a sub from the Pub. Talking about things like how did they accomplish certain special effects or animation may be relevant here, but plot discussion, how hot the lead actress is, rumours of who may star in sequels...that is not digital media.

As someone who has made a living working with digital media for over 10 years now, I would be happy to see in here discussions on any technical aspect of digital media in it's true definition: digital meaning 1's and 0's comprising data streams and/or files, and media - meaning a method of mass communication for advertising, entertainment and informational purposes, primarily referring video and audio media, but also encompassing printed matter, the internet, etc.

As per your question about DLP's, I recently had the opportunity (through my work) to tour the projection booths of a large, modern cineplex in order to gain an insight into their practices and technology, and to see how my company's technology can best be integrated with their operation. In a 16 screen complex, they had 1 DLP. Some of their locations have 2 DLPs. The biggest drawback to them is $$$$$. They cost about 4 times as much as a really good film projector, but the theatre really can't charge you more at the box office to see a digital movie, especially if you have the choice of going somewhere else and seeing the film version of it for less money. (Granted, some techno-purists will go out of their way to see the digital version just so they can blog about it on their website of choice:), but most people will break it down to the cost/value) So, now it takes the theatre operator 4 times longer to pay off their investment in the technology. Only a limited number of movies come out each year in digital format, so after the initial run of a movie slows down, that DLP theatre can often see limited use until the next big digital release. Empty theatre seats = less money in theatre operators' pockets. And although eliminating the film prints from the distribution process is supposed to cut filmmaker's costs, at this point digitizing the film is still quite costly, since so few movies are being released full digital. Plus, the films are usually distributed via broadband satellite transfer, which also costs theatres money in terms of hardware and data usage costs.

All this will change as the technology becomes less cost-prohibitive. When DLP projectors come down in cost to the point that theatre operators can better justify switching over more film booths to digital ones, when more movies are slated for digital release reducing digitizing and distribution costs and also ensuring theatres stay full year round, then you will see more DLPs and less film projectors in modern cineplexes.

Cheers,

Dexter...
  • maxanonmaxanon Montreal
    edited July 2003
    Dexter: Are most theatres using regular projectors (a la cinema paradiso)?

I agree that DLP is very expensive and probably not very good for large cinemas. We have a DLP2 projector at my company and they have a special (glass beads) screen. You don't need a dark room to see the image clearly.

The greatest problem is the chicken and the egg problem. The studios won't release fully digital (or even e-reels) unless there are enough theatres that ask for them and the theatres won't invest unless they're get enough digital prints. It's going to be a long time coming.

And with home theatre components getting cheaper, less people are going to the cinemas. Imagine if they start streaming first runs through video on demand. Then I think a lot of theatres are going to go out of business.

..max..

PS: I still don't agree with hyping movies in the DM thread.
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited July 2003
    Are most theatres using regular projectors (a la cinema paradiso)?

Yes, the majority of cinema screens in North America are good old-fashioned film reels, the re-looping style that remove the need to rewind.
    I agree that DLP is very expensive and probably not very good for large cinemas.

Actually, the DLP units used in cinemas are very good quality.....and they should be, as they ring in around a quarter of a million bucks for the while setup (projector, storage array, satellite rig, etc.) They are so good that most people cannot tell the difference between a film projection and a digital projection...and there lays the rub. If the average movie-goer cannot tell the difference, why should the theatre outlay that kind of capital for no extra return on investment??
    And with home theatre components getting cheaper, less people are going to the cinemas. Imagine if they start streaming first runs through video on demand. Then I think a lot of theatres are going to go out of business.

I disagree. People started saying that in the 80's when Betamax machines came out. 20 + years later, and people are still going to the theatres. Yes, many people have cut back their excursions to the theatre, and have waited till the VHS or DVD comes out. That means that theatres have had to turn going to the movies into an "experience", with amazing (and often far too loud) sound, more options in what you can eat (pizza by the slice, tacos, burgers and fries), added entertainment options (video arcades, birthday party rooms), better seating (softer, wider seats, big drink holders, more room between aisles, auditorium style seating for better viewing angles), etc. And for the privilege of this "experience", your ticket price went from $4 or $5 in the 80's to $10 - $12 in the late 90's, far in excess of the cost of living/inflation increase. But people will still go to the theatres, to see the initial release of the movie instead of waiting months for the video release.

DLP is a natural progression along this "experience" path, as the technology gets better (and cheaper) people will be better able to see the difference in resolution - sharper images instead of that good old film "softness." There is a problem with that too though. When you watch special effects on a movie screen, they look pretty good. When you watch them on DVD, they often look cheesy. That is because the digital image is sharper, and you can see the edges of the animated character as he is pasted into the scene, or you can see that the shadows of the actor chroma-keyed over a background are not quite right. DLP projection has that same problem, it is "too clear" and "too real." There were reports that after initial viewings of Star Wars 2 in digital, Lucasfilm quietly asked cinemas to soften the focus on the DLP's ever so slightly, to soften the picture so the effects would not be so glaringly obvious. DLP rasies the bar for movie producers to spend more money to make the effects more realistic, so that they are harder to see. So now it costs just a little bit more to make the movie too :rolleyes:

It all comes down to $$$. I think you will see that as more theatres move to DLP, the ticket prices will continue to rise. I don't know about other people here, but I have a family of 4, and although the baby would get in free, it costs me over $30 to take us out to a movie at the megaplex, and by the time you add in popcorn and drinks, it's $50+. A DVD costs $5 to rent. We only go out to 5 or 6 movies a year as a result, but we rent DVD's every week :)
    PS: I still don't agree with hyping movies in the DM thread.

Ditto. I think that if people want to discuss plot details, actor/actress rumours, etc, they should be doing so at a movie forum, not a technology forum. Just my opinion, not looking for a flame war :cool:

Dexter...