copying digital media

maxanonmaxanon Montreal
edited July 2003 in Internet & Media
Mods: If this doesn't belong here, please move to OT.

Topic: With the death of Dean C. Dunlavey I starting pondering the copying of digital media (for background, read:betamax ).

Is it still legal to copy media for personal use? Even if it is digital media? If I have a DVD that I would like to copy (because I want a back-up) can I do it?

We used to be able to dub tapes and movies and CDs, but with the knowledge that a lot of the quality would be missing. However, these days, its possible to make almost perfect copies. Original media companies (software, music, film, etc) are now saying that we shouldn't be allowed to copy anything at all.

If one says its okay to copy from radio since the quality sucks, that doesn't hold water since digital radio has arrived. Also, digital cable feeds are available as well.

Just wondering what people thought. I'm putting it here because I think a lot of originators (or people who work for originating companies) look at this section and their income depends on people buying their stuff.

Comments

• kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    under some law (don't remember which one) you are allowed to make copies of your tapes, be it movies or music, I don't know that said law covers CDs or DVDs, but it doesn't really matter since the studios are trying to make that illegal anyways, or just make it hard to copy using anti-piracy software. the bottom line is piracy is here to stay.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    My Opp -

If its yours, you can copy it to whatever you want and however much you want.

NS