Can't see SATA controller in Abit KV7

floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
edited January 2007 in Hardware
I've just set up an Abit KV7 board with a DVD-ROM drive only in IDE 1 & a WD SATA 120Gb HDD connected to Sata 1.

The manual tells me I can run two seperate Sata HDD's on the board connectors and to set 'On Chip Sata Device' to enabled in Bios.

Trouble is, I don't seem to have that option, it just isn't there.

It should be under Integrated Peripherals >> On Chip IDE Device >> On Chip SATA Device but it no can be seen. It's there in the manual.

Flashed to latest Bios V13, still no luck.

Other settings referring to the onboard Sata RAID controller are in Intergrated Peripherals >> On Chip PCI Device >> On Chip Sata Raid Bios and Advanced BIOS Features >> Bootable add-in device >> either PCI Slot Device or Onchip Sata RAID.

I've tried both on, both off and all combinations, still no luck in seeing the option for enabling On Chip Sata device.

I've connected the HDD to both slot one and slot two, but I haven't tried different jumper settings on HDD, but I didn't think that was relevant.

Initially this board wouldn't POST, I had to leave Cmos battery out overnight before it would do that. Everything else seems OK, it's recognising the DVD-ROM drive in the Bios, temps are good.

I'm really at a loss here, any ideas?

Comments

• floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited April 2004
    Sorted. In fact it was to do with the HDD jumper settings.

Apparently it's a common issue with WD drives, jumper settings are fussy.

In this instance, I took the jumper off completely and the drive was recognised.

Which makes me, er, pleased :D
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited April 2004
    Glad you got it sorted matey. :thumbsup:
  • edited May 2005
    Hey floppybootstomp,
    I am having similar issues with my new wd raptor 10000rpm HD and KV7 board. I tried taking the jumper off with no luck. Did you finally get the OnChip Sata Device option to show up in your BIOS when you did this??

The weird thing is that I see the drive listed as a serial ch0 master during the second boot screen but the drive is not recongnized within windows. I have tried flashing the bios also. Another interesting occurrence is that my machine restarts when I enable the Sata RAID controller in the device manager.

I will try some more jumper settings.

Any help would be wonderful.

Thx
  • maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited May 2005
    chr0n24 try installing the sata drivers for your version of windows. also are you trying to install windows on the hard drive or just add it as extra disk space?
  • edited May 2005
    Right now I am just using it as extra space, but I will eventually put windows on it.
    Thx for the help, I will make sure the drivers are correct.
  • edited June 2005
    Ok i have this problem too. with wd raptor 10 000 s-ata and kv7.

Tried to take of that jumper. but it does not show in the bios.

Its frusterating. cant us the pc. i only have this one wd raptor sata.

did u figure it out chr0n24?
  • edited June 2005
    No resapons here?

Well this has happened this far.

I had to call support. and they tryed to help. even if it was a gift. (so my bro bought it)

On supports call i tried tu update the bios. (att this point the support lost his phone connection)

but i had the info about how to uppgrade the bios.
    then in the midel of the uppgrade. it stops. asks for me to write path and a spesefic file!!
    i run to my other pc. surf to abit. and found the file and name.
    run back to the othe pc and starts to write it down. (supose to be on the bios floppy i made)
    But no. its not posibel to write any... att all.

so i run back to abit web. and se that i cane make another floppy there. called bios flash. make it put it in the floppy... waits.. waits.. nothing happens...
    run back to web. and se that this bios flash is normaly only used on older bios. like before 2001....

tryed to call support. phone line still down.... gaah.

send them a mail. with all info. hoping to geet a new one...

And i thougt i cud "play" with a new computer to day :bawling:
  • edited January 2007
    I've had the same problem, with the abit kv7, it's a real bugger, i think it's a problem with the bios, i,ve tried updating mine, i was on bios id14, tried to update to id20, but had problems with memory dump error messages, i've just bulit another computer, with an elite nforce4m-a mainboard with 2 western digital 250gb sata drives, that works fine, drives detected ect, if i were you i'd get a new mainboard, and dump the abit!
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    chr0n24 wrote:
    ...The weird thing is that I see the drive listed as a serial ch0 master during the second boot screen but the drive is not recongnized within windows...
    Please, boot into Windows w/ the drive installed.

Do you see the drive in:
    ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS\COMPUTER MANAGEMENT\STORAGE\DISK MANAGEMENT?

If you see the drive in DISK MANAGEMENT, then it needs to be formatted.
  • edited January 2007
    :respect: i believe there is a software problem with the bios (ID14) on the KV7 board, there is no option for enabling sata controller, only the raid driver option, even after clearing cmos i could'nt see the drives, so i gave up and built a new computer using a Elite mainboard, everything works fine, i don't think it's worth the pain, you'll be messing about with the KV7 to try and get it working:respect: , but it's just a dog!
  • edited January 2007
    Tjukken wrote:
    No resapons here?

Well this has happened this far.

I had to call support. and they tryed to help. even if it was a gift. (so my bro bought it)

On supports call i tried tu update the bios. (att this point the support lost his phone connection)

but i had the info about how to uppgrade the bios.
    then in the midel of the uppgrade. it stops. asks for me to write path and a spesefic file!!
    i run to my other pc. surf to abit. and found the file and name.
    run back to the othe pc and starts to write it down. (supose to be on the bios floppy i made)
    But no. its not posibel to write any... att all.

so i run back to abit web. and se that i cane make another floppy there. called bios flash. make it put it in the floppy... waits.. waits.. nothing happens...
    run back to web. and se that this bios flash is normaly only used on older bios. like before 2001....

tryed to call support. phone line still down.... gaah.

send them a mail. with all info. hoping to geet a new one...

And i thougt i cud "play" with a new computer to day :bawling:

Oh long time since ive been in this forum.. i realy must remember to continue in forums i start posting in :)

I called the dealer and they sendt me an asus a7v600-x instead.
    ofc this is kinda long time ago :) tleast that asus worked instantly.no fus.

Now i have a new project for my bro :) but that dosent belong in this tread..
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    Tjukken wrote:
    Oh long time since ive been in this forum.. i realy must remember to continue in forums i start posting in :)

I called the dealer and they sendt me an asus a7v600-x instead.
    ofc this is kinda long time ago :) tleast that asus worked instantly.no fus.

Now i have a new project for my bro :) but that dosent belong in this tread..
    Glad you got it sorted out Tjukken! :thumbsup:

IMPORTANT NOTE:
    Please, be sure to start your own thread when you would like help w/ any issue you are experiencing, though. Posting in someone else's thread makes it difficult for those helping to follow what is going on w/ ea. person who is having problems. That's why we keep them seperate. :smiles: