hard disk problem

RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
edited April 2004 in Hardware
i have a friend who has recently bought a 200GB hdd. He then formatted and installed windows in it.. however the space detected by windows is only 137GB. How would i fix this problem?
btw hes using an asus p4s 333-m.. not sure about the bios version though.. would this affect the problem?

thanks in advance,

Comments

• NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    Update to the latest bios version. Also I heard somewhere that if he is using Windows XP you have to have SP1 installed for it to recognise a drive larger than that.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited April 2004
    he needs the latest service pack for windows
  • RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    thanks for the tips.. ill try these asap !
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2004
    Had a friend with this problem. SP1 should do it for most mobos. If not then try a BIOS update.
    edited April 2004
    Guys, ive tried SP 1 and the latest bios update (1007) .. the hard disk is still detected as around 137 GB in windows!! And when inspected in the windows partition setup (using windows xp cd) and fdisk (i used option 4 which is display information or something.. hope thats right) it still detects as around that size with no unallocated space

what wrong ?! could the vendor just have conned him? or is there something im missing out? need help asap !!
    edited April 2004
    oh yea just to add.. the HDD's size is detected correctly in bios.. but still wrong in windows.
    edited April 2004
    haha got this fixed.. used the disk management utilty under administrative tools.. it detected and made the remaining 70gb partition
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited April 2004
    i good tip with partitoning is to make the partition that contains windows only about 15 gigs or so, and the rest for all your apps, if windows gets corrupted u wont loose any of you apps data, and vice versa, you wont loose windows :)