Weird stuff included with CNPS 7000A-CU

EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
edited May 2004 in Hardware
Well i recied my cpu cooler today so now i'm only waiting for case,psu and some stuff. After accomplising Mission Impossible :eek: (opening the package it came in) i read the manual and had a look at the stuff included.

What caught my interest was 2 things. One i id:ed as a case badge but the other bag says that it's silica-Gel. What's that? :scratch: Do i use it to clean the hsf or what?

Here's a pic.

Comments

• NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Silica gel is just to absorb the moisture from the box. It not for you to install ;)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Whatever you do, DO NOT EAT the silica gel.... :eek3:
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Yes, the no eating part is quite important.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2004
    I keep the little bags of silica gel I get and stick them in camera cases, boxes of spare computer parts, or anything else which might be susceptible to moisture damage or rust.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited May 2004
    A new pair of shoes often come with a small pack of silica-gel as well.
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited May 2004
    Ah so that's what it does. Thanks guys. :) But why doesn't the manual say so and why doesn't it mention the casebadge. Surely they'd wanna brag about their giveaways. BTW i did see the no eating sign and are not that hungry anyway. :D
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    EyesOnly wrote:
    Well i recied my cpu cooler today so now i'm only waiting for case,psu and some stuff. After accomplising Mission Impossible :eek: (opening the package it came in) i read the manual and had a look at the stuff included.

What caught my interest was 2 things. One i id:ed as a case badge but the other bag says that it's silica-Gel. What's that? :scratch: Do i use it to clean the hsf or what?

Here's a pic.

Let's say a mfr wants something not to corrode on the way to the customer. Silica Gel sucks up any fairly small amounts of moisture introduced into package from moist air as thing is packed. And can absorb some moisture that gets into packaging while sitting on shelf, in UPS package, on distributor's shelf, etc. Also, silica gel does not easily get static charged or gather and hold a static charge.

Problem is, introducing it into a human body will result in major drying of nearest body fluids and tissues and probably some chemical reactions that are absolutely unwanted. It's too good at what it is intended for to allow that.... :D

Not bragging about the little extras is the sign of a pro adn a pleasant surprise for some. Free gifts do not need to be advertised, and case badges on cases at a LAN prty, for example, are free advertising. They are just honest about it, do not need to take manual space, and besides if you make a batch of case badges and run out, would you want your customers to know what you are unable to include??? :D

Every CPU I buy at retail has a case sticker, every motherboard I've bought in last five years has one. But i buy for quality and reliability, not for case sticker or badge, and if I stick a case badge froma mfr on a case, it's 'cuz I want to show off what I think of the product I am paying for.... :D
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited May 2004
    John_D wrote:
    Let's say a mfr wants something not to corrode on the way to the customer. Silica Gel sucks up any fairly small amounts of moisture introduced into package from moist air as thing is packed. And can absorb some moisture that gets into packaging while sitting on shelf, in UPS package, on distributor's shelf, etc. Also, silica gel does not easily get static charged or gather and hold a static charge.

Problem is, introducing it into a human body will result in major drying of nearest body fluids and tissues and probably some chemical reactions that are absolutely unwanted. It's too good at what it is intended for to allow that.... :D

Not bragging about the little extras is the sign of a pro adn a pleasant surprise for some. Free gifts do not need to be advertised, and case badges on cases at a LAN prty, for example, are free advertising. They are just honest about it, do not need to take manual space, and besides if you make a batch of case badges and run out, would you want your customers to know what you are unable to include??? :D

Every CPU I buy at retail has a case sticker, every motherboard I've bought in last five years has one. But i buy for quality and reliability, not for case sticker or badge, and if I stick a case badge froma mfr on a case, it's 'cuz I want to show off what I think of the product I am paying for.... :D

Abit doesn't include case badges, quite annoying actually. :rant:
    You often see Asus users bragging about their "ugly?" case badges.
    The reason I'm calling them ugly is that often they are in a lot of different colors and doesn't go very well with most pc cases.
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited May 2004
    Hey Eyes
    Good to see you're so close to completing your new computer. :thumbsup:

As for folding, I think you're at the point of no return, as far as catching me goes. ;D I predict I'll still out-fold you by quite a bit; I'm running two instances of FAH on this rig. But that doesn't matter, fold on. Every bit helps!

-Rick
    :smokin:
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited May 2004
    MJO wrote:
    Abit doesn't include case badges, quite annoying actually. :rant:
    You often see Asus users bragging about their "ugly?" case badges.
    The reason I'm calling them ugly is that often they are in a lot of different colors and doesn't go very well with most pc cases.

Yeah since i have 3 i think i've started thinking about how to place them so that they'll look good on the sonata.

Gr81 i think your right. About every point counts that is. :D:rarr::eek2::)
    History will prove me right. :rarr: