What the f*ck is wrong with my internet

EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
edited June 2004 in Science & Tech
:rant: It has been crashing every now and then for about 2 weeks now. It started about the time that i got my new router, a Netgear DG834 yet some days everyting works ok. Can someone please tell me if that's what's causing this, some app i'm using or is the web so unstable because of all the worms going on and infecting the systems of idiots who hasn't patched them. :rant :rant: :banghead: :banghead:

All i know is that i'm sick and tired of this **** and feal like i could just as well sell the damn router and not bother with the internet. Now i'm of to Ut2k4. Hopefully i'll someday be able to play it online without being cut of from the web. :banghead: :banghead: :rant::mean:

Has anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    well if as you mention it only started happening when you got this router, then you already know the answer. i find that these consumer grade routers tend to suck big time and they only seemto work around 50%of the time, for me at least. I prefer to use linux as a router coupled with my d-link dss 5+ ethernet switch. never had a problem with that combo, going on two years now.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited May 2004
    Hmm, do you have cable or DSL? I would first start out by checking with my ISP, make sure that it isn't anything on the other end messing up. Also try switching back to your old router if possible. Try a different cable, anything you can think of to switch out. If you are on a network, do all the computers have this problem? If you have DSL check your DSL filters.

That is all I can come up with off the top of my head right now. Try some different things and get back with us.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    :rant: It has been crashing every now and then for about 2 weeks now. It started about the time that i got my new router, a Netgear DG834 yet some days everyting works ok. Can someone please tell me if that's what's causing this, some app i'm using or is the web so unstable because of all the worms going on and infecting the systems of idiots who hasn't patched them. :rant :rant: :banghead: :banghead:

All i know is that i'm sick and tired of this **** and feal like i could just as well sell the damn router and not bother with the internet. Now i'm of to Ut2k4. Hopefully i'll someday be able to play it online without being cut of from the web. :banghead: :banghead: :rant::mean:

Has anyone else experienced this?

Mike, I know what you mean. Problem is this-- probably right now it is junk load on your ISPs bandwidth that is playing havoc with gaming. PLUS, the router might not have a computer ID masq that your ISP knows to accept the connection routinely. You need to learn how to masq router to a legit machine ID that your ISP's routers KNOW.

IF it were just the router, all boxes on your LAN would go off net at once, probably. ditto for modem. Think about this-- do you have one box going off net while another box can still surf??? Does one particular box go off net more often??? Does putting one particular box online result in an internet service crash within 15 min of that box going online??? IF any of those are true, problem is not just router OR just modem. Tell me yes or no to those and I can help you drill down more.
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited May 2004
    I've been running kazaa and dc++ mostly and opera. dc seems to switch ip adress really often even when i don't turn of the router or reboot it. It's happened something like 5 times today yet both apps are running now without problem and have for 15 or so minutes.

It could be my isp that's having problems but the homepage doesn't mention it. BTW though the router might be what's causing this i did get it around the same time as sasser began spreading so it could be the web in general that's flaky. I noticed one user in dc++ saying something about a unstable line. BTW i'm using dsl.

Though i do have 2 boxes my old one is being prepaired to be sold by having win98 installed so i haven't tried surfing with it.

John_D wrote:
    PLUS, the router might not have a computer ID masq that your ISP knows to accept the connection routinely. You need to learn how to masq router to a legit machine ID that your ISP's routers KNOW.

How do i do this.
    John_D wrote:
    IF it were just the router, all boxes on your LAN would go off net at once, probably. ditto for modem. Think about this-- do you have one box going off net while another box can still surf??? Does one particular box go off net more often??? Does putting one particular box online result in an internet service crash within 15 min of that box going online??? IF any of those are true, problem is not just router OR just modem. Tell me yes or no to those and I can help you drill down more.

The router has built in modem and sometimes services did seem to scrash almost just after working again.

Clutch how do i check the filters.
    edited May 2004
    Ok. Unplug every phone in your house. So they only thing that should be using the line would be the DSL. Try running those apps, games, etc to test the connection to see if it drops, or if it stays stable. If it still is messing up then you know that it isn't one of the filters going south on you. If it stays connected, try plugging one phone in with filter to see what happens, if it drops out, then unplug that phone and plug in another phone. If you get one phone working with no connection loss and plug in the other phone and it starts then it could be that filter going bad, in this case you would need to contact your ISP to get another filter.

You might want to try switching out the telephone line from the modem to the wall just to be on the safe side. I know here in the states you can call the telco and get them to do a line check on your number to see if any static, etc could be your problem.

Try the filter things and then let me know how that works out.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    I've been running kazaa
    OK, this is off topic, but very important. Mr. Weatherly, if you are using Kazaa, you would be well served to cease and desist immediately, Sir. Do yourself and computer a big favor: download and install Kazaa Lite. Kazaa is a magnet for malware of every type.
    edited May 2004
    Hey leo i thought that you would tell me to not use p2p apps not that i'm downloading games or apps any longer. Of course that leaves only one thing, ebooks. :D And i do run k-lite. No way i'm installing regular kazaa, sorry for not being clear on that.

Clutch i can't switch out the wire from the modem to the wall since it's 10 metes long. I was told to connect the modem to the first jack in the house and thats in the hallway.

Anyway as i was typing this and checking some other threads k-lite has been working perfectly but dc++ noticed that my ip adress had changed and stopped downloading. Since that's what's been happening most i wonder if perhaps it's only there that's not working ok. BTW only the jack that has the modem connected has a filter in it.

Since these are the apps i usully run i'll leave them running while i have breakfeast and see what happens. I haven't tried any online gaming yet so that's not the cause.
    edited May 2004
    k-lite still working, dc++ noticed that my ip had changed again. :mean::rant: This is really starting to wear me down. I'll run ut2004 to strain the rig and see what happens. BTW there has been many storms lately so it could have been the weather causing this but that doesn't explain why i keep getting a new ip adress every now and then.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Clutch i can't switch out the wire from the modem to the wall since it's 10 metes long. I was told to connect the modem to the first jack in the house and thats in the hallway.

A long cord may be detrimetal to your connection speed, especially if it's not straight. I know that's not your probem right now, but w/e.
    BTW only the jack that has the modem connected has a filter in it.
    When I set up DSL @ my house, we put filters on everywhere BUT where the modem was.
    edited May 2004
    The manual said to put filter on it. Have now discovered invasion and how i suck at it. dc++ reported new ip (how surpricing) but k-lite is still working as is windows messenger. i noticed that while the internet went out wm stopped working but it hasn't now. Hmm why is my ip changing. The total blackouts could be because of the winds or general flakyness of the internet but that doesn't explain why the ip changes.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    One wierd thing I had happen, with the phone plugged in Downstairs my line had an SNR of 15dB, yet when I unplugged the phone, rather than the SNR increasing, it dropped to 8, which really makes no sence. So just an idea to see if your router tells you the SNR anyway.
    edited May 2004
    Can't find anything about SNR but i did notice that Upnp was on. I know i turned it of when i first set up the router. hmm could that be the cause. Oh and i'm connected to 2 DNS servers but that might be normal. Should i try to reset the router. It used to work just fine really but lately it hasn't.
    edited May 2004
    After reading through neatgears support pages i've come to realize that perhaps it's zonealarm or windows firewall that's causing this.

From http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101208.asp
    You should do this: Windows users should install all the latest critical updates. Link to Microsoft Windows Update. If you do not have a NETGEAR router with a firewall, run a firewall product. (Windows XP comes with a firewall.) If you have a NETGEAR firewall router, turn off the Windows XP firewall. (Windows may have turned it on without your knowledge.) If you have a portable computer, it should be protected by a firewall at all times.

Hmm i don't recall having all these problem before i installed zonalarm so that might be what's causing this. I know that hardware firewalls don't stop outgoing connections but how big a problem is that anyway. If a virus tries to connect you've got plenty of problems anyway even if a firewall blocks it.

BTW where do i find windows firewall. Hmm looked in help. Still can't find it. Could be that it can't be activated since i don't have a internet connection just a local network. If so then zonelalarms is the bad guy. Checked for spyware to and nothing there so that's not the cause.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited May 2004
    i'm not sure if this is the cause of it, but seeing you seem to be running kazaa and dc most of the time, perhaps your router simply can't handle all the connections. i know for my dlink di604+ that if i start overnet and my upload goes above 20kB/sec, even though my max upload is about 45kB/sec, i can't surf the internet at ALL, then the router crashes totally. personally i think the overnet code itself is to blame, but oh well. you may want to see if you can reduce the amount of connections kazaa runs, or if it changes when you close those programs.
    edited May 2004
    Hmm k-lite has been running more downloads after i turned of dc so you might be right. i also noticed that the newest build of shareaza royaly screwed up the internet. If that would run know i wouldn't be able to post this. So all these problems are due to an overloaded router. Hmm if so there's a quick fix. Run one app at the time.

This still quite doesn't explain why my ip adress keeps changing. or could that too be related to this. Thoughts please.
    edited May 2004
    To see if you have the windows firewall on do the following.

Start>Connect To>Show All connections>right click on local area connection>left click on properties>select the Advanced tab. This is where the settings is for this.

When we setup DSL we put a filter on every phone device in the house, fax, security system that uses the number, direct tv, etc except for the line going to the DSL modem, odd.

The weather could have something to do with this, unless your phone lines are underground and not above, rain, etc..does bad things to phone lines. But this wouldn't change your ip address, unless you were loosing connection to your ISP because of weather and your router connecting you again.
    edited May 2004
    Clutch wrote:
    To see if you have the windows firewall on do the following.

Start>Connect To>Show All connections>right click on local area connection>left click on properties>select the Advanced tab. This is where the settings is for this.

I can't find that tab nor meny but then again as i said i have no "internet" connection just local network as far as the computer is concered. Of course one of the network ports are connected to the router but the computer doesn't know that. So windows firewall can't be activated hence why i think that if any firewall is messing up it's zonealarm. Can someone tell me if just having hardware firewall would be bad from a security point.
    Clutch wrote:
    When we setup DSL we put a filter on every phone device in the house, fax, security system that uses the number, direct tv, etc except for the line going to the DSL modem, odd.
    Yes that is odd.
    Clutch wrote:
    The weather could have something to do with this, unless your phone lines are underground and not above, rain, etc..does bad things to phone lines. But this wouldn't change your ip address, unless you were loosing connection to your ISP because of weather and your router connecting you again.

All lines from the house goes underground. But internet seem to work just fine. BTW no connection drops has occured that i know of.
    edited May 2004
    Can you get into "My network places" if so look on the left and you will see view network connections. This is where you will see the local area connection. This is also where you can set a static ip or set your nic to obtain an ip address automatically.

Is that other box finished installing win98 so you can try to test the connection on that one?

I still cannont think of why DC is saying your ip address has changed, let me do some more digging to see what I can come up with. We will get you straight one way or the other, haha.
    edited May 2004
    i'm thinking it's an overloaded router. mainly what you're worried about if that's the case is your UPLOAD speed. i can download at around 350 kBytes / sec and that extra 10 or 15 is enough to browse reasonably quickly. if my upload on overnet gets to 20, my entire connection on all the computers just drops out. firstly, because it's relatively easy, try lowering your upload speed on any/all of those programs. and try not running any. as for the ip changing, i can't think of any reason it should change *while* you're actively using it, otherwise you would lose your connection. it could also be that your isp is blocking certain things and/or limiting your kbps per hour?? (p.s. - shareaza messed with the internet because it connected to the overnet/edonkey network, and most routers can't handle it )
    edited May 2004
    Could be Entr0py. Michael, have you tried just running DC to see if your IP changes?
    edited May 2004
    Clutch wrote:
    Can you get into "My network places" if so look on the left and you will see view network

connections. This is where you will see the local area connection. This is also where you can set a static

ip or set your nic to obtain an ip address automatically.

I know now what you mean but i have no such options because i don't really have a connection to the internet

just local since the modem is in the router. If i had a modem outside of the router connected to the computer

then i would have had such a connection but now that is taken care of by the router so windows firewall can't

be activated.
    Clutch wrote:
    Is that other box finished installing win98 so you can try to test the connection on that one?

Yes it's finished but won't reboot after i've run the setting up a small network wizard. It just hangs so i

don't use it much. I think i'll start over on it then just sell it. It did feel nice to have a second rig for

a while untill i tried installing win98 on it which takes just forever, yet win98 came with that box before i

installed xp so it's much more capable of running it. I also have an other issue that i need to check out on

the box but that's for another thread if i can't solve it. Please look at http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?p=139404#post139404.

Clutch wrote:
    I still cannont think of why DC is saying your ip address has changed, let me do some more digging to see

what I can come up with. We will get you straight one way or the other, haha.

Thnaks that would be nice. :D

entr0py wrote:
    i'm thinking it's an overloaded router. mainly what you're worried about if that's the case is

your UPLOAD speed. i can download at around 350 kBytes / sec and that extra 10 or 15 is enough to browse

reasonably quickly. if my upload on overnet gets to 20, my entire connection on all the computers just drops

out. firstly, because it's relatively easy, try lowering your upload speed on any/all of those programs. and

try not running any. as for the ip changing, i can't think of any reason it should change *while* you're

actively using it, otherwise you would lose your connection. it could also be that your isp is blocking

certain things and/or limiting your kbps per hour?? (p.s. - shareaza messed with the internet because it

connected to the overnet/edonkey network, and most routers can't handle it )

Hmm that edonkey thing sounds bad. You might be on to something with that upload speed thing since i noticed that while k'lite where working on many files at the same time, opera would open webpages more slowly. I need a faster router.

I don't either understand why my ip would change yet my connection remain. Isn't there any networking guru in this place that can tell me what's going on.
    Clutch wrote:
    Could be Entr0py. Michael, have you tried just running DC to see if your IP changes?
    No not yet. I'll try the router logs and see if i find anything.
    edited May 2004
    Michael: Check in your router logs for "PADT tag received" or something of that sort. This could be your ISP making your connection drop. Have you tried doing a firmware upgrade to the modem/router? If not, then reset it and then do a firmware upgrade.
    edited May 2004
    It's got the newest firmware already. Hmm the only log i can find is the security log. There's some mentening about a syslog but it was set to disable. There's no info in the manual for any other kinds of logs and no info in the log about that tag.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Try turning on the syslog. Do you have dialup DSL, or is it always-on??? ISPs, for security reasons and expansion and refitting hardware purposes, can also change IP assignments at the wildest-seeming times. Down here, that happens mostly on Saturdays, evening (HUH??? Busiest time for folks to surf here, you want to change my IP THEN???) or Sunday morning when the servers are not busy and they CAN push new IPs.

Now that you have been in the router, every once in a while when you have to reset it look afterward, see if the IP has changed. IF so, contact the ISP and make sure they have the right modem def associated to your modem on their servers, if you get a lot in 24-48 hours like this. I have had isolated cases like this, though they are so TIRED of me talking at them about the wrong modem def file being used that it is now written down and checked by them and it rarely happens, but, might be worth a check.

It has happened to me with 3 brands of modem, and I exchanged 6 modems before buying my own and called on average every other week with that one until it got to the point where I now get third level tech support whenever I ask for tech support. I didn't swear, just kept calling back until things got fixed, mentioned how long I was on hold each time, and over a couple years had a service log for my account that half the time HANDED them the answer as to what was up THIS time.

They finally figured out that their lease update server local to me kept thinking I had a Toshiba modem, I actually have a Zoom-- they'd reset the def to Zoom of my modem's kind, server would detect Toshiba when deciding how to program the modem, things would go fubar, I woudl call (and local Comcast office is STILL trying to figure out how I got a ComCast PRIORITY WEEKEND response trouble ticket written out of a Comcast 800 number response center dedicated to KENTUCKY ComCast customers (answer, Florida ComCast number was long distance, over next two weeks they got troble reports for my little account from 5 states worth of call-in centers for ComCast). My IP and lease renews now come from a lease server in a state halfway up the east coast of the US-- this was ARRANGED and SET UP by Comcast.... IT knows how to talk to my Zoom, REAL well.

Adivce, build a trouble log with trouble reports. MAKE them log them, call back, have supervisor see if your call is in the log if techs seem not to be able to look up your past history. Some problems get solved by more and more symptoms being reported over time untila tech looks at log and says-- hmmm... what's LEFT that is possible MIGHT be this, and dang if it does not fix it sometimes that way when the user is tearing hair out again and again. And keeps saying REPEAT PROBLEM, STILL NOT FIXED, until it DOES get fixed.
    edited May 2004
    entr0py wrote:
    (p.s. - shareaza messed with the internet because it connected to the overnet/edonkey network, and most routers can't handle it )

so that means i can't use it. to bad really. i'm looking for song made by an artist called michael b tretow. he has done many kinda weird song and he likes using his voice in different pitches or mix in other weird sounds. unfortnualty his songs are pretty impossible to come by in the stores hence why i'm trying to download it. Shareaza is by for the best place to look but for that to work i have to have edonkey since it's the biggest network.

it should be noted that dc has been running for almost 20 minutes without changing ip, then again it hasn't been downloading anything nor do i have any other apps using the internet other than opera that are downloading that zipfile for ut2004. i had apparently aborted the download yesterday. as soon as it's complete in about an hour i'll try running shareaza again and see if i can get it to work without crashing the internet.
    edited May 2004
    the code in edonky/overnet protocol seems to pretty sporadic. for absolutely no reason i'll get wide open status, hundeds of bytes per second, then i'll try it the next day and be firewalled and get 4kB per second. all they ever say at overnet forums is "oh, sorry, you must have a bad router" ... blame the problems on anything BUT their own code.
    edited June 2004
    Problem solved router removed. Not sure what to do with it so i'll keep it for now. Have no issues running any of the apps i mentioned before. At least my old modem still works.
    edited June 2004
    Well at least you have it fixed now. You could always Ebay the router.