Computer hangs at post.

EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
edited June 2004 in Hardware
My old rig hangs for some time while searching for connected devices at post. That's when harddrives and such get listed. It's been doing that ever since i removed the second harddrive from that rig yet i've also cleared cmos yet it still does it.

It takes something like 2 minutes before it continues booting. What could be wrong. I've checked the cables and they're seated properly. Could they be broken. it should be noticed that i switched those cables less than a year ago so they are not old. Oh and i don't have the old harddrive so i can't put it back.

Please help me. That rig will be sold or prehaps turned into a folding rig. i'm not sure yet. It does take up some space. I don't want to sell it in it's present state though. :banghead:

Comments

• ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited May 2004
    The first thing I would do is to check to see if the hdd is the first boot device in bios. Next, switch out the ide cable. Even though you replaced it less than a year ago, that is like saying "well my car was running fine yesterday, but now it will not crank" that is they way I look at it anyway.
  • edited May 2004
    You can also try changing the hard drive jumper to cable select and see if that helps, if you have the jumper set as primary or single.
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited May 2004
    it's set as second bootdevice, floppy being the first. I'll try that cable select thing. I know for sure it's set as master since it was that before but i'll change anyway then i'll think of changing cable. I had forgotten about this thread. :banghead:
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited June 2004
    Well problem solved. :) I put the jumper as cable select without switching cable and now it's working. :celebrate:

It's now my dedicated folding rig. :fold::rarr:
  • edited June 2004
    That's great to hear, Mike! :) I'm glad that cable select worked for you.