xp pro can't logon to network domain @ work

croc_croc_ New
edited May 2004 in Hardware
We are running an NT 4.0 server here at work. All the other computers are running win98/ME and can log onto the domain just fine, but my computer (the only one running xp pro) cannot. Any suggestions?

Comments

• croc_croc_ New
    edited May 2004
    Just some random info:

I tried logging in to existing accounts and new accounts, I gave full permissions and no permissions. Nothing seems to work. You would think I could just type in the domain, and login with the username/password .....
  • -tk-tk Detroit, MI USA Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    did you go throught the whole process of joining it to the domain?
    i.e. right click my computer->properties->Computer Name->Network ID. That wizard should take you through the whole bit.
    Also, is the NT4 server set up as a domain controller or are all the computers just members of the same workgroup?
    If you can, I would suggest upgrading your NT4 server to Win2k server so you can use active directory, its a hell of a lot easier than NT4.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited May 2004
    Yeah I did the wizard. We have a workgroup "GROUP" and a domain with a different name. I am not sure what the server is set up as, but all the win98/me boxes logon to the domain just fine. I didn't setup the server, I don't really know NT4 (and they wont convert to win2k) ... how would I check to find out if its setup as a domain controller?
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Ok, couple of questions.

1. Has it ever worked or is it new? (im guessing new)
    2. Are you running DHCP or do you have static IP's?
    3. If you are running DHCP does your machine get an IP address?
    4. If you are using static ip's do you have one assigned?
    5. Check that your machine's account is set up on the server. If not then it wont logon.
    6. Do you have domain admins on the server (this will make life easier fixing it)
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited May 2004
    Ok, couple of questions.

1. Has it ever worked or is it new? (im guessing new)
    2. Are you running DHCP or do you have static IP's?
    3. If you are running DHCP does your machine get an IP address?
    4. If you are using static ip's do you have one assigned?
    5. Check that your machine's account is set up on the server. If not then it wont logon.
    6. Do you have domain admins on the server (this will make life easier fixing it)

1. Never worked on this XP pro machine.
    2. DHCP.
    3. Yes (I can get in the workgroup fine and access other computers).
    4. N/A.
    5. Yes, I set it up myself. I also tried logging in other accounts.
    6. Yes.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited May 2004
    Well, I have 30 mins left at work .... I guess I can figure it out tomorrow.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited May 2004
    nobody has any other suggestions?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Is the NT4 server actually set up as a PDC (Primary Domain Controller)? And you're sure the XP box is joined to the domain? You say the 98/ME boxes can log into the domain, but that's not really true since Win98/ME CAN'T "join" a domain per se... You have to add a computer account for the XP box to the server.. It's been about 5 years since I've even seen an NT4 server, so I'm gonna say that I don't remember off the top of my head, but it's something like server manager or something like that. You need to add the XP computer name to that area. It's not like Win2K where it creates a computer account for you automatically upon joining.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited May 2004
    I'm not too familiar with NT4 either, all I know is the 98/me boxers can "login" or "access" the domain, and on the server there is a user manager that I use to setup the users. Basically all it allows you to do is setup "users" with passwords, and then assign them permissions to the various server directories and functions (through the actualy directories and funtions, not the manager). I will check in the morning if it is in fact the PDC. And no the xp box isn't joined to the domain, because it wont let me join it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Right, there's a user manager, but what I'm saying is that there is ALSO a "server manager" (I think that's what it's called) where you need to add a computer account. There are seperate accounts for users and computers. You don't give the computer any permissions, per se, but you still need to manually add it.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    The name of the file is srvmgr.exe. If it was 2k it would add the account for you but NT4 is crap at stuff like that.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited May 2004
    Ah, ok. I haven't had to add computers for the 98/me boxes for new accounts/boxes ... but I guess that would be explained when you said 98/me can't join the domain. I'll try the srvmgr.exe right now. Thx guys. :)
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2004
    Right, there's a user manager, but what I'm saying is that there is ALSO a "server manager" (I think that's what it's called) where you need to add a computer account. There are seperate accounts for users and computers. You don't give the computer any permissions, per se, but you still need to manually add it.

Yeah, Computer account lets you set up pure IP addressing side and\or fully qualified domain name specific access with or without an in-common workgroup membership, to let boxes in multiple IP segments DO a log in to a single server. User sets up authentication at server end and client end so they match, also. NT4 and NT4+Novell I have worked with, but been so long I would have to look up details and might miss steps.

NT does things this way, in quick summary:

User can login from any box that is connected and set up as valid for LAN with Computer setup. Technically, if WAN links are set up as valid with segmenting, a user with a server account could log in with remotely.

The mask determines the potential number of sequential addresses that a server can serve. I will not write that book, but put simply, the address range POSSIBLE for a segement less 2 IPs per segment (top and bottom IPs possible for segment range are special use IPs) is determined by mask. NT4 server as default setup with no further networking config lets one segment in. Computer accounts let you specify out of segment connects using the User account for auth and statign a specific IP and mask that matches computer settings or in theory you can set up DHCP to feed by computer and domain or workgroup name and then user authentication does security. I hope Novell NetWare is not also in use, that would complexify things a lot, especially if a Novell Domain controller were in use-- so far no sign of that here, will skip any depth on this topic of Novell+NT4.

Easiest quick addon is a specific IP if mask is fully loaded with assigned boxes. You might set up XP as specific IP and then let the server have that data in matching form to XP, with a computer specific setup for access, for now, but eventually you might want to look at how to mask for better security. If you want a quickie, the calc steps to calc a mask are available on the web, lookup 'TCP\IP +mask' and look through the hits. Some will be on Cisco's knowledge bases.

See if you can set up DHCP first, if not you might have to do a partial segment reconfig or add on the server also to work. Assuming DHCP IS really feeding, mask and IP given should be within DHCP ranges allowed for on server.

William R. Stanek wrote a book that is part of the Microsoft Press Administrator's Pocket Consultant subseries. It covers authentication and security and howto with the NT4 O\S specifically. ISBN 0-7356-0574-2 if it is still in print. Since the book I have is copyright 1999, it might or might not be still in print, but what it covers would address the kind of need Croc has, along with some understanding of masks obtained on the web.

I got mine from the BooksAMillion website (http://www.bamm.com/ ) or from Microsoft Press directly-- do not remember which, three and a half years ago, and it is priced $29.99 new. The outlines are by specific howto, with some illustrations of screen shots of dialogs, etc. you probably could find it used if the used book sellers and overstock book sellers have not sold out on it, AND it is not in print. VERY well worth having as a reference book to NT 4.0 setup and maintainance innards.
    edited May 2004
    right.... so croc_, did you get your issue worked out?
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited May 2004
    Thank you tk, prime, necro and john.

I had to add the computer name in the server manager (as you guys said above). It still had issues joining the doman, but I managed to get on it. I wish I could convince them to upgrade to win2k. Oh well, thanks again!!
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited May 2004
    Now I have a separate issue, how do I import my current settnigs/files to my user account which is joined to the domain? I have having to switch to the domain user account when I have to open a customers account or lookup a phone number in the server.
    edited May 2004
    croc_ wrote:
    Now I have a separate issue, how do I import my current settnigs/files to my user account which is joined to the domain? I have having to switch to the domain user account when I have to open a customers account or lookup a phone number in the server.

are you talking about Desktop icons, My Documents, stuff like that?
    if so, first log in as administrator, then set you your folder views to show all hidden files and folders. Then go into C:\Documents and Settings, You'll see some folders that are named for the user accounts that login to that machine. Those folders are the user profiles. You can't just copy one whole profile into another, but you can browse through your old account profile and move stuff into your new one.
    You can also do this with the profile manager(right click mycomputer->properties->advanced-user profiles) but I never use it, for me its quicker to just do it manually. Unless the user haas a ton of mapped drives and printers.