blur and around text

edited July 2004 in Hardware
there seems to have developed a funny blur and faint lines next to text now on my screem. really pissing me off. What could be causing this? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Is your monitor old, irregularly degaussed, or near speakers?
  • edited June 2004
    no, no and yes but they computer speakers....
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Does it maybe have something to do with ClearText? Are you using Windows XP?

Cleartext makes things look sort of blurry on a non-lcd monitor.
    edited June 2004
    The computer speakers MAY be a culprit. Move them away for a week and see if the problem resolves.

Also, as prime said, be sure to check to see if cleartext is enabled. It looks lame on a CRT.

/me rubs his chin

But having cleartext enabled wouldn't explain the faint lines next to the text.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    And if you do have an LCD, make sure that the display resolution is set to the native resolution of the LCD, otherwise it'll look crappy.
  • edited June 2004
    i have a CTR and cleartext is disabled. One thing i have noticed but might not have anything to do with the problem, on the on-screen display of the monitor is says my refresh rate is 85hzs but in the windows display options it is set at 100hzs... I know my monitor supports up to 100hzs on my resolution so how come it is saying it is lower. In games it reports it correctly as 120hzs but just not on the desktop. This is only something i have noticed since i have got an ati card.
  • edited June 2004
    strangely things seem to look better with ClearText enabled.... strange.
    edited June 2004
    If you set the monitor to a lower/higher refresh rate, does it go away?
  • edited June 2004
    nope, but it has been decreased quite a lot by enabling cleartext
  • edited June 2004
    ok now this just takes the piss, my whole screen has gone black...

all i can see is icons... what the ****?
    edited June 2004
    do you have another monitor to test with?
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2004
    monitor's on the way out, I suspect... Could be the video card, but I'd suspect the monitor first.
  • edited June 2004
    nope, i just made a new user and the blackness has gone... lines are still there though...
    edited June 2004
    I suspect the video system without a shadow of a doubt, now.

Step number one is to reseat the video cable at the video card end, and at the monitor end if your monitor is like that.

Second step is to test a new video card (As having one of those lying around is more probable), and third is to try a new monitor.
  • HotrodsunHotrodsun Salem, OR
    edited June 2004
    I had a radeon 9000 pro and it had the lines and blurriness that you have. It turned out to be that card. I replaced it and all the wierdness when away.
  • edited June 2004
    well this is starting to get stupid, it went away, now has come back strongly... I tested it with a LCD monitor and everything seems fine... I am dreading testing the the old monitor with another system because a new monitor will be a lot more expensive than rma the video card back.... Could it be anything else? Direct X version, drivers, chipset drivers....? anything other than the monitor. Especially as it is a really nice LG 19" flat panel CTR...
  • edited June 2004
    now i just plugged in the monitor to another system with an nvidia graphics card, the problem has gone away.... This is really stupid. I guess i could just get both of the items changed (just found out my monitor has a 3 year waranty)(i think)... anyone have any suggestions?
  • edited June 2004
    i think it might be because of over heating.... no-one else have suggestions?
  • edited July 2004
    well an update on the situation, i RMA'd the card and they said there was a problem with it and sent me a new one, the new one worked fine for a day and then guess what the same problem has come back. This is well starting to piss me off. What is the posssibility that this problem could have occured twice on different cards?!
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited July 2004
    have you tryed playing around with the cable on the moniter

also are you using cable extension or an adeptor
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited July 2004
    also does this happen in safe mode

try opening the case and use an floor fan

might be heat
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited July 2004
    -animal- wrote:
    well an update on the situation, i RMA'd the card and they said there was a problem with it and sent me a new one, the new one worked fine for a day and then guess what the same problem has come back. This is well starting to piss me off. What is the posssibility that this problem could have occured twice on different cards?!

Well, I suppose a bad motherboard could be screwing up the video card?
  • edited July 2004
    well i took everything out of the case and unplugged everything apart from the cpu and graphics card and i still had the problem, so i don't think the psu is being overloaded and i also don't think it is a heat problem now so it seems to me that there must be a problem with radeon 9800 pro and my agp slot... the g3 ti200 seems to be fine in it... could the system memory be causing this problem aswell?

one thing i have noticed on my motherboard is that with the other nf7-s i installed in some-one system had a little clip on the agp slot to clip the graphics card in.... mine however does not seem to have one and i can't remember it ever having one... is this clip vital?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    No, the clip is not vital. Some new motherboards don't even have the clip. It's just there as an added measure for the physical integrity of the system.