Recording Sounds

Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
Hey all,

I am in search of a good program that can record sound off a video file and save the sound clip as .wav or .mp3. Any suggestions?

I miss Coasters app download thread.:(

Comments

• LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    What soundcard? Creative had a recorder out that would let you control the source (mp3, cd, spdif, etc) and I believe it allowed you to save as wav/mp3
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    I know the program TMPGEnc splits video and audio so they can be made into an mpg file for burning. Might want to look into that.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Bad_Karma said
    I miss Coasters app download thread.:(

pssssst.... Coaster.... you there? ;)
  • Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited June 2003
    Thanks for the suggestions guy. LawnMM I tried to install the recorder for my sb live! 5.1 but I am using hacked Audigy2 Drivers and the recorder doesn't recognize the sound card. (need to hack the file me thinks) I just need like a 4 second sound clip so I didn't bother with TMPGEnc but thanks for letting me know the program can do that mmonnin.
    After about 30 mins of scouring google results I found something that fits what I need. Its called Super Mp3 Recorder Professional. It records from lots of sources and it even gives you the ability to edit the sound file.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    Bad_Karma said
    Thanks for the suggestions guy. LawnMM I tried to install the recorder for my sb live! 5.1 but I am using hacked Audigy2 Drivers and the recorder doesn't recognize the sound card. (need to hack the file me thinks) I just need like a 4 second sound clip so I didn't bother with TMPGEnc but thanks for letting me know the program can do that mmonnin.
    After about 30 mins of scouring google results I found something that fits what I need. Its called Super Mp3 Recorder Professional. It records from lots of sources and it even gives you the ability to edit the sound file.

Aight, no worries then as long as you've got it sorted!
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    There is a program called Cool Edit Pro, loads of options and huge file type support, and it also lets you open video files and it opens them like a normal sound file, just giving you the audio so you dont need to record it manually, which is highly useful, ask the Donkey where to find it.

NS
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    Soundforge is another versatile audio editor which will be able to meet your needs.
  • MERRICKMERRICK In the studio or on a stage
    edited June 2003
    Both Sond Forge And Cool Edit Pro are excellent. Price wise I have to say go with Cool Edit Pro basically it offers a bit more for less money. The downside is that syntrillium the parent company just got aquired by adobe :mad: Sound Forge parent company is owned by rock solid Sonic Foundry. I'd say download both demos.
  • edited June 2003
    http://www.sound-recorder.com/

The free trial should do what you want it to do for now.. but me thinks you got it sorted anyways :)
    Audio MP3/WMA Recorder makes a complete sound recorder studio of your computer. With it you can record sound from Microphone, Line-in, streaming audio from the Internet, or music played by Winamp, Windows Media Player, Quick Time, Real Player, DVD player, Flash, games, etc.

Audio MP3/WMA Recorder is able to automatically detect the recording formats your sound card supports and then set the application's parameters for the best possible performance.
  • MERRICKMERRICK In the studio or on a stage
    edited June 2003
    Speaking of streaming, last night I clicked on a link that said I would hear some music but I should wait 5 minutes. Sure enough it played. I got curious as in "Can I save that music?" So I did a Start>Find>Content.IE5 and searched for any files tthat looked musical. I found the file as an MP3 clicked it and my MP3 player started up. I was able to save the file.

I figure if one wants to save streaming audio, they could first delete their content.ie5 subfolders and start streaming and then browse the newly made content.ie5 subfolders for any media files and save 'em. Does this make sense?