new ipods

bake2bake2 well, its near....aww, you wouldnt know anyways
edited June 2003 in Hardware
just wondering what everyone thought about the new ipods. i just bought the 15 gb version, and i have to say, its nice :) i dont know, there is something satisfying in knowing i can cary almost any cd i could ever want, in my pocket. and the touch pad/scroll wheel is nice. the overall feel is good. and who can forget the best thing: windows support. of course, you need a firewire card, right now. usb 2.0 support is coming, though. luckly, my new laptop has firewire built in. thats just my observations. what do you guys think?

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    a couple of my friends @ school have them. They're pretty durn cool. It's also really nice that you can use them as external HD's. I really like the scroll wheel thing. I also like how thin they are :D
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    20030528l.gif

NS
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    Penny Arcade is the shiznit! I laughed out load at that one! MP3 CD players don't skip either.... :)
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    I've yet to own a CD player that doesn't skip. Sitting on the seat in your car doesn't count as shock protection...jog with the thing and tell me it doesn't skip.

/me invested in the Nomad Muvo...no regrets
    edited June 2003
    I can shake mine as much as humanly possible and it doesnt skip, it doesnt skip ever.

NS
  • bake2bake2 well, its near....aww, you wouldnt know anyways
    edited June 2003
    actually, i would recomend any hard dive based mp3 player. i chose the i pod, because i liked the looks and i always wanted an ipod. of course its pricy, but look how small the damn thing is! no matter how small cd players get, they are still limited by the size of a cd. and another drawback of cd players is having to deal with the cd's themselvs. even if you do have an mp3 cd. i dont know, just my 2 cents

;)
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    those damn iPod are just so damn sexy, they are plain, but nice, really slick, i love them, even though i never owned one, but i would like one

/me goes to set up a donation named LeiShi85 iPod buying association
  • TobinTobin Philadelphia, PA
    edited June 2003
    I'm very seriously considering purchansing a 15 GB iPod myself. I've heard nothing but praise about them. And it meets my needs for both an MP3 player and an external hard drive for my PowerBook.

**dodges stones being thrown toward me, a Mac user**

In case you care, http://www.thinksecret.com/ is reporting that Apple is considering an Organic-LED screen for the next iPod upgrade sometime next year.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    NightShade737 said
    I can shake mine as much as humanly possible and it doesnt skip, it doesnt skip ever.

NS

What brand?
  • LeadSaladLeadSalad East Bay Cali
    edited June 2003
    Tobin... did you happen to play Myth and Myth II way back in the day? If so, did you know of VR?
  • TobinTobin Philadelphia, PA
    edited June 2003
    Sorry, LeadSalad, no to both. If you're wondering, I chose "Tobin" from Dax's second host on DS9.
  • hitokirihitokiri NYC
    edited June 2003
    Tobin said

In case you care, http://www.thinksecret.com/ is reporting that Apple is considering an Organic-LED screen for the next iPod upgrade sometime next year.

Whoa, thats awesome...
    The new iPods are freaking awesome. But since i don't have much money to burn, I got me a Zen...

I want to see this possible Organic-LED iPod :wow:
  • bake2bake2 well, its near....aww, you wouldnt know anyways
    edited June 2003
    that site is really interesting. damn, think how small the next gen. will be with a smaller lcd! (or OLED, i guess ;) )
    edited June 2003
    LawnMM said
    NightShade737 said

NS

What brand?

Sony.

NS
  • hprhpr :o hi o:
    edited June 2003
    i was thinking about getitng on of those 15gb ipods too sometime this summer, they sure are nice looking :D
  • NixxerNixxer Nottingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    When I got my walkman I chose Sony's top of the line NetMD Minidisc recorder. Its rather nifty. Its jog proof, has a little lit remote and loads of other features. Also connects to a USB port and can transfer music onto it rather than record in real time. Can transfer a 3 hour album in about 10 minutes :D. Its like an MP3 player but with cheap removable media.

I'm looking into Ipods, but I'm rather happy with this at the moment.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    I have a sony too! It skips...:mad:
    NightShade737 said
    LawnMM said
    NightShade737 said

NS

What brand?

Sony.

NS
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    LawnMM said

Stop jogging! :P

Also I said MP3 when Playing MP3s my CD player never skips either. :)

I wouldn't trust a hard drive or CD based player while jogging. For that level of activity you need a memory card based player
  • maxanonmaxanon Montreal
    edited June 2003
    My biggest beef about those card based players is that you cna upgrade the memory (I know its probably because they want people buying more stuff).

I wonder how those HD players survive jogging? I'm assuming they're using a special HD (laptop type) wil liquid absorbers. They look really nice. Especially the iPod. My firend has one and she really likes it. One very elegant piece of machinary. She also has the new MAC (with the cinema LCD) and that looks amazing.

As a piece of functional furniture, Macs rule. If I didn't game I would be on a mac (IMO).
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    Omega65 said
    LawnMM said

Stop jogging! :P

Also I said MP3 when Playing MP3s my CD player never skips either. :)

I wouldn't trust a hard drive or CD based player while jogging. For that level of activity you need a memory card based player

Agreed, hence the Nomad Muvo...

Stop jogging!? :eek:
    maxanon said
    My biggest beef about those card based players is that you cna upgrade the memory (I know its probably because they want people buying more stuff).

I wonder how those HD players survive jogging? I'm assuming they're using a special HD (laptop type) wil liquid absorbers. They look really nice. Especially the iPod. My firend has one and she really likes it. One very elegant piece of machinary. She also has the new MAC (with the cinema LCD) and that looks amazing.

As a piece of functional furniture, Macs rule. If I didn't game I would be on a mac (IMO).

Well yeah...I think everybody would buy a mac if they were just looking for a cute and froofy looking computer! Most people like performance though, so much for mac! :rolleyes: