Backing up and Ripping DVDs

PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
edited August 2003 in Internet & Media
Anyone know of a good reliable software program that can make copies of DVDs? I want to make backup copies of some of my Anime DVDs. I'm buying a Pioneer DVR-A05. It comes with:

-Sonic MyDVD 4.0 VideoSuite
-Sonic CinePlayer 1.5 DVD Video Player
-Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.3 Basic for CD & DVD data recording
-Pinnacle InstantWrite

None of which seem to be able to make copies of commercial DVDs. I was thinking of DVD X Copy, but it hasn't gotten very good ratings. Would Nero work?

Also, I'd like to learn to "rip" copies to my hard drive so I can watch them on a laptop during travel as opposed to bringing 20 plus DVDs for certain Anime series (Kenshin). Anybody know of a good program to do that as well as a site with beginner-level directions?

Preach

Comments

• EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I'm also interested in this answer. I did it once with a friend when we were having all kinds of trouble playing DVDs the regular way, I think we used a program called SmartRipper to make the video normal when playing the vob's from hard disk. I have no idea on encoding/compressing though.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    This answer is so damn long and complex that I'd have an easier time coming to wherever you are and showing you in about 3 hours of work:

Better though, just go to www.vcdhelp.com. They'll teach you everything you need to know in their picture-driven tutorials. But here's a list of things you need

-Nimo's codec pack
    -DiVX 5.0.5
    -Koepi's XViD build
    -Nero
    -TMPGEnc
    -Virtualdub
    -SSRC
    -tooLAME
    -DiVX 5 BRC
    -XViD BRC
    -MyFlix
    -DVDx
    -DVD Decrypter
    -AVIchop

DVD2ONE + DVD Decrypter is a superb solution.
  • khankhan New
    edited July 2003
    thrax's way works, no doubt, but i have a simpler solution, methinks. while surfing the nether regions of mIRC channels, i discovered a single installer that contains all the programs you need, and a tutorial that walks you through the use of each program. pop me a PM and i'll hook you up.
    edited July 2003
    If you speak of gordian knot, it's far more complex than what the situation requires.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited July 2003
    I've used GordianKnot in the past and it seemed fairly straight-forward and simple.

If that is more complex than what needs to be, please let us in on exactly what you do Thrax. Anything to make ripping a DVD easier is worth a look at in my book!
    Thrax said
    If you speak of gordian knot, it's far more complex than what the situation requires.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    khan,
    YGPM.

I'm also intrigued, Thrax. I've just started reading the FAQ for Gordian Knot and it seems very capable.
    edited July 2003
    If you only need to compress from a retail DVD to DVD-R: DVD Decrypter and DVD2ONE requires about 9 clicks to get it to 4.2GB, and then a few more clicks with nero to actually burn it.

If you need to compress to DiVX, well I guess I can whip-up a picture driven tutorial using 3 programs that makes it easier than gordian knot :)

Gordian knot's certainly capable, it's just a few more programs and steps than necessary.

To DiVX OR XViD, it only needs to be DVD Decrypter and DVDx (And those interfaces are really simple to use).
    edited July 2003
    A friend recommended me FlasKMPEG DeCSS which is encoding my movie right now. DVD Decrypter, SmartRipper, and TMPGEnc were unsuccessful.
  • Red-DawnRed-Dawn Been kidnapped and being held hostage in Edinburgh
    edited July 2003
    some1 recemended dvd x-copy plus at least i think thats what it was, he said he'd copyed a few dvds almost all of em without any trouble, might give it a go later on see what its like
    edited July 2003
    Thrax,
    I would be eternally grateful. I imagine many people on Short-Media would be interested as well.
    edited July 2003
    Guess I'll get crackin' this evening.

//EDIT:

It'll be done tomorrow.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited July 2003
    Awesome, Thrax!

Much appreciated.
    Thrax said
    Guess I'll get crackin' this evening.

//EDIT:

It'll be done tomorrow.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    If someone has linked this already, I'm sorry for the repitition. I'm about to go to bed and didn't have time to read the whole thread. :(

Digital Ferret has a simple and easy to follow guide. Doesn't explain what all the options do, but it'll work.

http://www.digitalferret.com/sections.php?name=Guides&rop=showcontent&id=5
  • sforzasforza SPAIN
    edited July 2003
    www.doom9.org has some good guides too. Quite manually ones, compared to the ones Preacher said at the first post, though.
  • polarys425polarys425 Harrisonburg, VA
    edited July 2003
    excellent forum for all your CD/DVD backup needs.

i myself use DVD Decrypter + DVD2one + Copy2DVD.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/
    edited July 2003
    Got all the pictures done, working on the text now. Will have the tutorial for DVD -> DiVX online by 7 PM EST.
    edited July 2003
    Cool, Thrax. Thanks for doing it, from all us who don't know what we're doing :)

This thread will be a good reference also...
    edited July 2003
    To immortalize Thrax's efforts as well as prevent duplication of my Noob request, what about making this thread and/or the guide a sticky?
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited August 2003
    Personally I use dvd xcopy or dvd xcopy express. Express will burn just the movie without menus or special features, and it puts a 10 warning about blah dont copy dvds blah.

dvd copy will burn speacial features and menus, but most movies require 2 dvd+r discs to fit all that on and it still puts the warning about how its illeagle to copy dvds.

Also I usually order blank dvd cases off ebay 100 for $30 and go to http://www.cdcovers.cc/covers.php to download and print covers for all your dvd backups. Works awesome.