Can't figure out what's wrong

Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
edited July 2004 in Hardware
I keep having some various problems, and I think they all might be related.

1. When I'm using both of my monitors, usually after a few minutes, I'll move the mouse pointer from my main monitor to my secondary one, and the screen will just freeze and I'll have to restart.

2. Periodically my audio will just all of a sudden stop working, after I restart it is fine again.

3. There seem to be a few other audio problems, like I can't seem to be able to get audio in from my Winfast TV 2000 XP. DVD sound also seems to hiccup every two seconds or so.

Everything worked fine a while ago. I set up my raid array this past christmas, and I've had the dvd audio problem since then. I can't quite remember when everything else started messing up.

I'm using bios 24. I have the latest drivers from nvidia as well.

Here are my specs:
Abit NF7-S rev 2.0
barton 2500
Antec 300W
1 gig of samsung pc 2700
2x WD 80 gb in raid 1
Geforce 2 ultra (agp)
Radeon SDR (pci)
pioneer 4x dvd-r/rw

Comments

• Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
    edited June 2004
    No ideas?
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited June 2004
    what power supply?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    www.memtest.org

//edit: memtest.org is cooler :D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I agree with thrax... Try memtest first
    edited July 2004
    Ran memtest, reported 0 errors after 3 passes. Anything else?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2004
    Dumb question (my specialty), but have you cleaned out the vid and mouse drivers and reinstalled them?
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    also have you cleaned out the inside of the case lately?
    what are your cpu and sys temps like?
    edited July 2004
    Just to make sure, I uninstalled and reinstalled the video drivers. I ended up pulling the pci radeon out b/c it kept giving me problems when I tried to make my flat panel the primary monitor.

cpu tem is at 51, sys is at 37
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    that idle temp??

if it is, then that might be your problem.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2004
    load temps i hope?
    edited July 2004
    that's with norton, AIM, and MYIE2 running
    edited July 2004
    so that's basically nto load temp.

try running folding or prime95 and see what kind of temps u get.
    edited July 2004
    Didn't have either of those so I just went into Maya and rendered one of my heavier images. Took about 6 mins to render, not sure if I need to run something that will take longer, but it got up to 40 sys and 56.5 cpu.
    edited July 2004
    download prime 95 or folding, and let it run for like 10 mins, and then that should be prety much your load temp.

and then report back, even with 56.5C on your CPU is little high.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    40 C case temp is high also, by about 4-6 C. Lower case some, the CPU should go back down if no dust in CPU HS spaces between fins. With a 30 C case temp here, floating to 32, my old Barton 2500+ CPU went from 44-47 C under load. Add 10 C on case temp, it was that high too-- needless to say, case got more fanning.

Nolf, your RENDER is a good test, equiv to folding, which is doing same basic thing. Lower CASE temp, CPU temp should drop unless you are water cooling, then I would check for air bubbles or low coolant in reservoir, or pressure leaks in WC system. But that case is high temp inside case itself.
    edited July 2004
    I'm pretty sure its not an overheating problem. All I had running right now was musicmatch and AIM. Sys was at 33C and CPU was 38.5C. Musicmatch all of a sudden locked up mid-song, as it normally does, and my audio stopped both in musicmatch and aim. I just happen to check the nvidia NVmixer utility and through the speaker wizard for my 5.1 setup. I can hear everything fine while doing this, but when I go back to mmjb there is still no sound. Someone mentioned to me something about an IRQ problem. Could that be right?
  • edited July 2004
    I'm not an expert but had similar hardlock problems mainly but not always involving wintv go. I came to suspect irq conflicts, moved capture card, sound card, network card to various pcis but it didn't seem to help. Finally out of desparation I reinstalled acpi drivers. Device manager - computer, picked let me choose driver, and picked "advanced configuration and power interface (acpi) pc". Been rock solid ever since, may have to do with resetting interrupts, not sure. i would image your drive and backup data before attemping. And be prepared to reinstall. May not work for you, may not be your problem. My temps run higher than yours, my cpu is 45.5C, system is 35C right now as reported by Abit EQ, fairly idle.

Good luck