Sapphire Radeon 9500 Softmod worth the risk?

edited July 2004 in Hardware
i recently read about how 9500's with L shaped ram can be softmodded to a 9700 np. I read that this http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/product.asp?dept_id=124&pid=6538&ad=pwatch# radeon 9500 can softmod to a 9700. I can get this exact same card, or a black sapphire one that is said to work here.... http://softmod.ocfaq.com/faq.php off of ebay for less than $100. I know that softmodding isn't guaranteed to work. Knowing this, is it still worth it to get this card? (could u still get a good oc out of it?, im running on a 9200 se with speeds 288 core and 198 memory) :skeptic:

Comments

• JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited July 2004
    I didn't think peeps had too much luck with the black pcb one's; mine was a red pcb sapphire and it soft modded like a charm. However it died after 11 months, dont know wether that was down to the soft mod or not.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited July 2004
    Sapphire offered 2 versions of the Radeon 9500: Both black & red PCB.

Both of them, as long as they have their memory modules arranged in the "L" layout (like the 9700's) will be able to be soft-modded to 9700 NP's, but that does NOT guarantee that they will successfully softmod.

To get to 9700 Pro level, you'll need to overclock, but YMMV.

Quite honestly, it isn't worth it. You can find Radeon 9800 Pro's on sale occasionally for $199.00 USD, which would be a much better investment than a 9500 that may (or may not) soft mod correctly.

Hell, just yesterday NewEgg had refurbed Sapphire 9800 Pro's for $166.00 and brand-new MSI 9800 Pro's for $190.00 USD.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I agree and disagree with you. If you're looking for a low cost solution with 8 pipelines, check out trading forums, and look for a 9500P that has already been soft-modded. You can find them for anywhere from $75 - 120. ($120 is overpriced in my book.)

I just sold one yesterday. For the $85 range, you cannot find another video card that will come close to an overclocked, 8-pipe, 9500Pro. That card will competently play any game out in the market today.

Quadomatic, if you are really interested, PM me, and I'll point you in the right direction to find a used, already-modded 9500Pro.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited July 2004
    I suppose if you can get one that's guaranteed to softmod it's worth it (such as buying used), but when you're just purchasing one off a website hoping it will softmod, it's kind of like playing ATI Roulette with a loaded chamber.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    You just bolstered my point, SimGuy.

I need to hedge a little on "That card will competently play any game out in the market today". Doom 3 might give it a struggle if the card isn't overclocked. But then, that's why we do the soft mod!

Doom 3 System Requirements