Whats a good budget Heatsink?

LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
edited July 2004 in Hardware
I need a heatsink for a socket A mobo, cpu is not being overclocked, its a 1.53gh chip I believe. Just something that does a better job than crappy retail heatsinks that come stock on machines. Somethin in the 30 dollar range or so? Suggestions?

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Thermalright SLK-800A ...get a Thermaltake SmartFan 2 to go with it and you're in business.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited July 2004
    csimon wrote:
    Thermalright SLK-800A ...get a Thermaltake SmartFan 2 to go with it and you're in business.

They came down to the 30s already?! Damn...I'm not payin attention.
  • edited July 2004
    SVC has the Thermalright ALX800 heatsinks for $16; they're an aluminum version of the SLK800 I believe. You can't find the SLK800A too easily any more and neither Newegg or SVC has them. If you aren't overclocking it, I would think the ALX800 and a TT SmartFan 2 should suit your needs.
    edited July 2004
    LawnMM wrote:
    They came down to the 30s already?! Damn...I'm not payin attention.
    Yeah if you look around I'm sure you can find one that cheap. I just found this slk-900a for $29.95.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited July 2004
    muddocktor wrote:
    SVC has the Thermalright ALX800 heatsinks for $16; they're an aluminum version of the SLK800 I believe. You can't find the SLK800A too easily any more and neither Newegg or SVC has them. If you aren't overclocking it, I would think the ALX800 and a TT SmartFan 2 should suit your needs.

I was just looking at those ALX800s...they look decent and the price is very right. I think I'll go with one of those.

Whats good about the TT smartfans? Whats the gimmick/advantage?
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited July 2004
    They move a lot of air (I think ~78cfm at ~55db, i forget te exact specs), they come with a manual fan speed adjuster thingy and you can set it to automatically adjust it's own speed based on temperature. :thumbsup:
  • edited July 2004
    They come with a variable speed potentiometer so that you can vary the fan speed from dead quiet and not much airflow to pretty noisy and almost as much airflow as a Delta 80. They also come with a thermistor if you want to control fan speed that way, with the thermistor mounted on the side of the processor slug. I just use the potentiometer to adjust the fan speed/noise ratio to my liking. It's one of the few TT products I wholeheartedly endorse.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2004
    Don't waste your money on the Thermalrights. Those heatsinks I linked you to perform nearly as well. There's no reason to spend the extra money on the Thermalright stuff in a stock or even moderately overclocked system
  • edited July 2004
    That all copper one you linked to might make a decent cooler, Geeky. I can personally tell you about the Falconrock; it's a piece of crap IMO. A buddy of mine bought one and it couldn't keep his stock clocked 2500 under 125 degrees when folding. The all copper one looks like it might do better though.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2004
    I'm surprised by that mudd. The falconrock is supposed to be an excellent heatsink.

However, 125*F is warm, but nowhere near hot enough to be concerned about. Either way, the 1800 (if it's a tbred) will only put out about 45w of heat, vs 75 for the 2500.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    ALX-800 performs better than the SLK-800. Just food for thought.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited July 2004
    Add my vote for the ALX800 ($16 +SH). Check my sig for details... :)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Here's the ALX-800 for $9.99 on sale right now:

http://www.bestbyte.net/Product.cfm?ProductID=1458&CategoryID=6&Keyword=

I bought 2 of 'em and they were at my house within a week. Their shipping is flat rate $5, so it's still cheaper than SVC. Also, SVC won't notify you that something is out of stock until long after they run out, because they take orders until somebody notices on the back end that they can't put any more heatsinks in boxes 'cause they're not on the shelf. I waited 2 months for SVC to fill my order for an SP-97, and finally had to cancel it because they were taking so long. Then again, SVC has been fine for all my other orders...
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited July 2004
    Awesome find Gh, just ordered two of 'em shipped for 25. If they perform as well as everyone says it should help alleviate cooling woes on two machines. Though the best thing for the HP would be to scrap it, thats not really an option for money reasons. So I just have to try and up the cooling on that POS.

The other machine I put together is doing fine, but the heatsink I robbed off the other HP is junk so I'm going to replace it with one of these. Thanks guys, quick and informed responses. Well done.
    edited July 2004
    I hope you get good luck with 'em, Lawn. I'm going to try mine this weekend.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited July 2004
    GHoosdum wrote:
    I hope you get good luck with 'em, Lawn. I'm going to try mine this weekend.

I'm not gonna get em till sometime next week =/ Should do a nice job on the NF7-S rig I put together for the woman. I hope the TT fan and upgraded heatsink will be enough to solve her sister's woes. These frickin HP cases are designed horribly.

They're cramped as hell and there's almost no airflow. There's a 92mm fan spinning at about 1000rpms as an intake fan...its in the BACK...up HIGH. It blows the hot air its sucking in from the PSU directly above through a little plastic duct onto this chincy HS with a 60mm fan that my chipset fan puts to shame.

Its a wonder the damn thing hasn't caught on fire...

What are you stickin' yours on?
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited July 2004
    There is no heatsink more budget than the ramsinks on my Radeon 9600 np =D
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Now that's inventive! ;D Did you lap the nail screw heads?
    edited July 2004
    nicely innovative!!! WWJD???
    edited July 2004
    JChretien wrote:
    There is no heatsink more budget than the ramsinks on my Radeon 9600 np =D
    :thumbsup:

You better be careful when changing the memory of CPU though! ;)

Also I love that case, I get them for $30 locally. Cut out those 2 rear fan mounts and install a 120mm blowhole and it's perfect (& cheap)
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited July 2004
    Leonardo wrote:
    Now that's inventive! ;D Did you lap the nail screw heads?
    What do you mean by "lap the nail screw heads?" 0.o Could you explain?
    edited July 2004
    Lapping = polishing to a smooth (& hopefully) flat surface
    edited July 2004
    LawnMM wrote:
    I'm not gonna get em till sometime next week =/ Should do a nice job on the NF7-S rig I put together for the woman. I hope the TT fan and upgraded heatsink will be enough to solve her sister's woes. These frickin HP cases are designed horribly.

They're cramped as hell and there's almost no airflow. There's a 92mm fan spinning at about 1000rpms as an intake fan...its in the BACK...up HIGH. It blows the hot air its sucking in from the PSU directly above through a little plastic duct onto this chincy HS with a 60mm fan that my chipset fan puts to shame.

Its a wonder the damn thing hasn't caught on fire...

What are you stickin' yours on?

It seems like ambient temps are going to be a concern, but I think the ALX800 will keep the CPU from overheating, even with such bad airflow in the case.

I've got mine on my XP-M 2400+ on an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard. I think there's something wrong with this motherboard because there was a sticky substance covering some of the mobo traces when it showed up, and the sound doesn't work and it won't boot in BIOS safe mode when an OC doesn't work.

However, the system is running at 42C full load with a 53CFM Mechatronics fan on the ALX800. The CPU is currently OC'd to 2.2GHz at 1.775 VCore. That's a lot more VCore than I needed on my NF7-S even with the NB fan out, so I really think it's RMA time for this board. The temp is fairly comparable with what I got with my SLK-900A on the thing before. Overall, I'm very happy with this $10 heatsink. The finish on the bottom of the ALX was the best I've seen on any Thermalright I've bought new - almost no machine marks at all.
    edited July 2004
    However, the system is running at 42C full load
    I think Asus is lieing to you to the tune of 10*C. Nevertheless, even if the temp is is understimated by 10*, you are doing well.
    edited July 2004
    Leonardo wrote:
    I think Asus is lieing to you to the tune of 10*C. Nevertheless, even if the temp is is understimated by 10*, you are doing well.

Really? Why would it run 10C hotter than my old Abit did at the same settings? The only real difference is the HS, ALX800 rather than SLK900A.

//edit, the HS and .025 VCore more, that is.
    edited July 2004
    Well, if your Abit board and and Asus mobo are reporting the same temps under the same settings, I'd say the readings are fairly accurate. 42*C under full load is very good. Do you have the ZIFF socket thermistor pressed up firmly against the bottom of the heatsink? I guess I'm just surprised that your temps are that good, if as you say, the case ventilation is not so good.
    edited July 2004
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. My first statement about the case ventilation referred to the case that LawnMM is going to be putting the ALX800 in; my case is an Antec Sonata, which has pretty decent airflow. There's a 120MM exhaust fan about 1.5 inches from the CPU HSF.