GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 LifeAkron, PA Icrontian
edited July 2004 in Hardware
OK LETS START AT THE BEGINNING.

in the last couple days my A64 3200+
1 gig Kingston hyperx 3500
9800pro
msi k8tneo fis2r

had turned itself on a couple times.

today I came home my 9800xt was there!! w00t!
so i turn it off. Undo the water block throw the original fan on. throw it back to see if it works . apparently something went. the 9800 pro gives me artifacts when it POST and it stops at the post screen. I throw the 9800xt in NO artifacts when post but still comes to a stop. Got an electrical burn smell. Now hte last week Ive had my pc on and we have had some hellacios thunder / electrical storms. Thats why i have it on an APC 500 batt backup.

/me is lost!

if my mobo is dead ill order an msi K8N and replace it then RMA this one and sell it. BUT i wanna play with my 9800xt!1 wahaaaaaa!!!!11 :bawling:

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Dude, that sucks.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    ok threw the 9800 pro in on my NF2 3000+ artifacts when post. 9800xt no artifacts took the 9600 pro from the NF2 setup threw it on he MSi board. No artifacts but still wont go past post screen even after clear cmos.

1 problem figured out. Time to RMA a 9800pro and refund a d00ds money ( or do a best buy switcharoo)
    edited July 2004
    any ideas on the mobo?
    edited July 2004
    ok ok got it to boot outside the case. hmmm I am gonna reinsert it on the mobo tray and see if it boots. then see if it boots with a 9800xt in it.
    edited July 2004
    ok no go

reflashed the bios with the latest bios and still no go.
    I can't get into the bios for the life of me. I hit delete it comes up with 4 options. netboot flash recovery setup and something not important( cant remember)

I hit delete for the setup and my keyboards 3 lights flash and no reponse.

this happened before the flash. I was hoping the flahs would fix it.

anyone got any ideas? I am desperate
  • edited July 2004
    Sounds like mobo rma time to me. :bawling:

Looks like you will be in the market for a new mobo I take it. What do you plan to get, a board using the nf3 250gb chipset?
    edited July 2004
    I did what i could to get them to replace it with either the abit or the new msi K8N

But to no avail they said no so i will be waiting to replace this one.

I am on the Voodoo 5 5500 and hte amd A xp 2000+ machine now. Sucks but still cool to mess around with my old voodoo 5
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited July 2004
    if it booted outside the case, but refused to boot once it was in the case I'd suspect it was shorting on something... have you checked the board isn't touching the tray at some point?
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited July 2004
    deicist wrote:
    if it booted outside the case, but refused to boot once it was in the case I'd suspect it was shorting on something... have you checked the board isn't touching the tray at some point?

Good point.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Sounds like the mobo. If there are damaged traces the stress of mounting it may be enough to open a trace. You might try booting it out of hte case and then flexing the mobo slightly. I'll bet that it barffs.
  • edited July 2004
    Well what part of the PC was smoking? If it was one of the wires check that, if its one of the chips then your mobo is prolly gone
    edited July 2004
    the video card smoked. then it boots outside the case but to no avial not into windows nad cant get into bios. smae thing inside the case no
  • Omatic810Omatic810 Gainesville, FL
    edited July 2004
    Yeah, it sounds like it's gonna be a new mobo for you...

Maybe you clipped something when you were working on it internally?