"Failure Imminent" should i continue?

edited July 2004 in Hardware
Ok, a few weeks ago, my BIOS chip died, so I ordered a new one.
I have a ASUS P4S533 motherboard (it's like 1 1/2 years old). I
started the comp, everything worked, except for the CD and DVD ROMS.
Turns out, before I found out it was the BIOS that was dead, I had
taken it to a computer store to have it looked at. Without even asking
if they could start work on it, they switched a bunch of wires around
and never pulgged the power cords back into the CD drives but they DID
plug in the floppy, HD, and MB (with the 4 pin rectangular
connectors).
So I tried to plug them back in. I switched them around to try and get
them all to fit into the 2 CD drives, the floppy, the HD, and the MB
and couldn't. I then called ASUS and they said that the motherboard
had something like EASY power or something (Im not sure) and that I
didn't need to have the 4 pin plugged into the MB. So i unplugged it
and reset the RAM just incase.
I started the comp and got a message that read SMART predicts that a
failure is imminent blah blah blah.
Now that didnt show up before i switch the wires. Could that be the
cause? Should I just hit "f1" and continue? or should I do something
else? I WAS getting a different error before that. it read "failed to
write ESCD." So im not really sure what to do here. I've got alot of
important crap on there.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2004
    Get the test utility from your hard drive manufacturer and see what it says.

As for this:
    ...I WAS fetting a different error before that. it read "failed to
    write ESCD." ...
    You could try a new cmos battery for just a few bucks. If that error persists you may have a bad MB.
  • edited July 2004
    profdlp wrote:
    Get the test utility from your hard drive manufacturer and see what it says.

As for this:

You could try a new cmos battery for just a few bucks. If that error persists you may have a bad MB.

how do i do that?
    edited July 2004
    Go the the HD company's website and look in the Support section. Tell me what brand and I'll find you a link.

For the battery, take the old one to Radio Shack (or whatever is nearby); they should be able to match it for you. :)
  • edited July 2004
    profdlp wrote:
    Go the the HD company's website and look in the Support section. Tell me what brand and I'll find you a link.

For the battery, take the old one to Radio Shack (or whatever is nearby); they should be able to match it for you. :)

yeah i hit F1 to continue and it wont get past the windows (load) screen. it doersnt freeze...it just keeps loading. i either get the message for f1 or some other message "failed to write ESCD." im gonna go re-check the wireing. thanx tho.
    edited July 2004
    What brand is your hard drive?
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2004
    Try first verifying the bios has all the ide devices set to "auto" and that the shop didnt jack with those settings.

If its ok then shutdown for now and unplug where the cdroms are plugged in from the motherboard and lets see if we can just get windows to boot clean. Its really confused and we don't know right now what all the nitwits at the shop have done to you.

If you can boot then do a chkdsk and shutdown and plug the cdroms back in and make sure they have their jumpers set to "cable select" or cd first !!!

Tex
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2004
    In your BIOS, there might be an option for "clear/reset ESCD." Try reseting this in order to remove the ESCD error message. I used to get this message on an old soyo p4 board i used to have. I would get the ESCD message after a power outage or something similar.

Also, i would absolutely keep the 4-pin power connector connected to your mobo...it is neccessary. I think the folks at asus were refering to the 6-pin aux mobo connector which is un-needed on some newer boards.
  • edited July 2004
    ryko wrote:
    In your BIOS, there might be an option for "clear/reset ESCD." Try reseting this in order to remove the ESCD error message. I used to get this message on an old soyo p4 board i used to have. I would get the ESCD message after a power outage or something similar.

Also, i would absolutely keep the 4-pin power connector connected to your mobo...it is neccessary. I think the folks at asus were refering to the 6-pin aux mobo connector which is un-needed on some newer boards.

...actually it's not required. besides, it's impossible to plug in my motherboard, 2 CD drives, floppy, and HD...the plugs won't reach. the motherboard was never plugged in anyway.
    how do i clear/reset escd?
    anyway i brought it to some guy who checked it out...he hooked it up to 3 different computers and couldnt get in to even back uo the files. the HD spins but it keeps saying that there's a bad track or something. :banghead:
  • edited July 2004
    Tex wrote:
    Try first verifying the bios has all the ide devices set to "auto" and that the shop didnt jack with those settings.

If its ok then shutdown for now and unplug where the cdroms are plugged in from the motherboard and lets see if we can just get windows to boot clean. Its really confused and we don't know right now what all the nitwits at the shop have done to you.

If you can boot then do a chkdsk and shutdown and plug the cdroms back in and make sure they have their jumpers set to "cable select" or cd first !!!

Tex
    everything is set to auto.
  • edited July 2004
    profdlp wrote:
    What brand is your hard drive?
    it's a Western Digital Caviar...and it's still under warranty...but WD sux...they have no support center, and they wont help u back up your files (even if u were to pay them)
    edited July 2004
    it's a Western Digital Caviar...and it's still under warranty...but WD sux...they have no support center, and they wont help u back up your files (even if u were to pay them)
    Run the Data LifeGuard test just to be sure that it's the drive. WD will need it for the RMA, anyway.

As far as the data is concerned, you might have luck by installing the drive in another computer and trying to copy what you can to another drive. Good Luck! :)
    edited July 2004
    profdlp wrote:
    Run the Data LifeGuard test just to be sure that it's the drive. WD will need it for the RMA, anyway.

As far as the data is concerned, you might have luck by installing the drive in another computer and trying to copy what you can to another drive. Good Luck! :)

He said a computer shop tried it in three differant computers and they couldn't ever even see anything.

Everytime you power that drive up and down right now your chances of getting anything off if its really failing diminishs. I just recovered some of the data off a failing drive from another forum user that they could not get their computer to even see anymore a few weeks ago. The friggin recovery took like 5 full days as it was having so much trouble reading the disk. Just slow as all get out and it would hang in one spot for 30 minutes and then start again and crap like that. I got back maybe 60 or 70 percent of the critical stuff he really wanted back. emails, family pictures etc.. If I can get it to spin up and act right for even a few hours where the only problem was a trashed filesystem I could get a bunch of it. If it won't spin up you get nothing. If its electrics and thats often the smart related errors then success rate varies on how long I can get it to act half way decent.

If you can't afford to lose the data and you give up, then email me and we can work something out.

How big is the drive and whats the exact model number and stuff?

tex
    edited July 2004
    Tex wrote:
    He said a computer shop tried it in three differant computers and they couldn't ever even see anything.
    He said he took it to "some guy". I have fixed a lot of computers which "some guy" had pronounced dead. :)

If it was your friends brother-in-laws cousin who "knows everything about computers" I would get a second opinion. If it was a reputable computer place that said that, your next step is full-blown data recovery from a pro. You'd be in good hands with Tex. :thumbsup:
    edited July 2004
    Your right. I guess I was flashing back to the "i took it to a computer store" line and even then thats a crap shoot half the time.

Tex
  • edited July 2004
    Tex wrote:

Everytime you power that drive up and down right now your chances of getting anything off if its really failing diminishs. I just recovered some of the data off a failing drive from another forum user that they could not get their computer to even see anymore a few weeks ago. The friggin recovery took like 5 full days as it was having so much trouble reading the disk. Just slow as all get out and it would hang in one spot for 30 minutes and then start again and crap like that. I got back maybe 60 or 70 percent of the critical stuff he really wanted back. emails, family pictures etc.. If I can get it to spin up and act right for even a few hours where the only problem was a trashed filesystem I could get a bunch of it. If it won't spin up you get nothing. If its electrics and thats often the smart related errors then success rate varies on how long I can get it to act half way decent.

If you can't afford to lose the data and you give up, then email me and we can work something out.

How big is the drive and whats the exact model number and stuff?

tex
    well this guy was nice and stuff. anyway, it's a WD caviar 100GB 8MB. im not at home so i dont have the model #. but i wouldnt have any money to pay you. plus, it's still under warranty...if anyone opens it, i get charged for the one i have on the way (about $80).
    -Lindsay
    edited July 2004
    I don't open drives. You simply pay shipping each way.

Tex
  • edited July 2004
    Tex wrote:
    I don't open drives. You simply pay shipping each way.

Tex

thanx, but my new one;s on the way and i cant afford to have the old one get lost in the mail or anything. thank you for the offer tho. :)
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited July 2004
    brings back memorys of freazing older drives to get info off of them:)