asus m6ne notebook overheating

edited July 2004 in Hardware
i just got a brand new asus m6ne notebook with a dothan 1.7Ghz cpu 1GB pc2700 ram 60GB HD and a mobility radeon 9700. now im having a problem with this thing overheating. im running asus probe and it seems that when i leave the comuter idle the temp will start off around 52C then slowly climb until about 68C where the cpu fan finally turns on. problem is sometimes when it reaches this temp windows will restart or errors start coming up. especially when i run a demanding application the temp will skyrocket into the mid 70s before shutting down. if theres anyway to make the cpu fan turn on earlier or just make it run all the time that would be great. ive already looked threw the bios and updated bios. no luck. thanks guys. :mean:

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2004
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sSpec=SL7EP&ProcFam=942&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=5003

It's not overheating. The CPU is spec'd for 100*C. Either the cpu temperature protection is kicking in too early, or there's another problem.
  • edited July 2004
    if its not overheating what else could cause the sudden restarts and program errors under high load?
    edited July 2004
    I'm not sure, but since it's spec'd for 100*C and it's (apparently) only hitting 70*C, it shouldn't be a heat issue. However, it certainly seems like it's overheating from the symptoms you describe. But, like I said, it *shouldn't* be overheating...

Anyhow, when you say "brand new", how old is it exactly- a few days, a week, a month? If it's more than a week or two old, it could be dust buildup on the heatsink (laptops are especially sensitive to this). Let me see if I can find some pictures of the notebook and possibly come up with a better solution.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Just because it's spec'd for 100*C, doesn't mean it's happy at 70*C, Geeky.

Humans are spec'd to about 109*F internal. Brain damage can start at 107*F. Not a direct analogy, but it makes a bit of sense.
    edited July 2004
    True, true. But I'm assuming that Intel is realistic with these things (which is a tall order, I know). However, AMD is (as far as I can tell) realistic... you saw my thread with that palomino running @ >90*C...
  • edited July 2004
    its about 3 days old. no dust whatsoever ive been looking around inside. ive gone through 3 winxp installations so far, the first 2 gave me several different errors, one of the more common was "irql not less than or equal", this third install seems to be a bit more stable but i still cant run anything demanding without the app closing. and ive only had it restart on me once so far today.
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited July 2004
    Maybe it's the memory? where's prime to charm in with the memtest86 recommendation.

Try this: http://www.memtest86.com/#download1

If that says you have memory errors then we know what we need to fix... otherwise maybe it is just overheating. Have you talk to the people from where you bought it? Any hopes of getting it looked at?

I doubt this'll help but good luck.
  • edited July 2004
    how do you create a cd image with the memtest? i dont have a floppy in this thing. oh, somehow i got the fan to go continuously, the temp stayed around 40C but the same thing happened. so we can rule out overheating for sure.
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited July 2004
    I'm not the best with imaging but this is a longshot maybe nero can help you out?
  • edited July 2004
    hey guys, i ran the mem test, turns out that both of my 512mb sticks had errors in them. never buying K-Byte again. anyways i got another stick of mine back from a friend and its working great now even at 70C, anyways thanks for the help.
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited July 2004
    another victory for memtest! :P. With memory its always good to spend the couple extra bucks for retail packaged brand name memory if you actually care about the machine working. I managed to get a steal on some 512 MB Kingston PC2700 -C2 so-dimms for $125 cdn (<$100 US) for my lappy from ramstore.ca, but YMMV.