I'd like to help; can someone help me join?

chipatkinsonchipatkinson San Antonio Texas
edited July 2004 in Folding@Home
Hello all!

I learned about the folding effort through the people helping me with the HJT log analysis. I'd like to help. I've got two computers here at home that I can set up to help.

I've read some through the forum and your site, but I must be dense because I can't find anything that tells me how to join. Do I sign up somewhere? Is there software I need to download?

Guess I need a mentor to help me through the process!

Any volunteers?

Thanks!
Chip Atkinson

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    First of all you will need the Folding client ...which operating system are you using?
    If you are using Windows XP I have the file you need right here.
    Now once you download it don't install it yet ...get back to this thread and let me know and I will try and help you out.

In order to join the team all you have to do is enter the team number 93 when promted and you're in.
  • chipatkinsonchipatkinson San Antonio Texas
    edited July 2004
    I'm using windows xp home
    edited July 2004
    Ok ...create a folder someplace like c:\program files\F@H and set the file in there.
    edited July 2004
    created the folder c:/program files/F@H but don't know what file you are talking about placing in it.
    edited July 2004
    edited July 2004
    Now once you've done that you need to start the program and it will ask you questions so that you can configure it.

go to:
    start
    run...
    c:\program files\F@H\FAH4Console.exe

Follow the prompts and the only thing you change differently than mine is the user name (ie chipatkinson) and set the team number to 93.

Once you're completed then the console client will be running in the background if you minimize it ...just let it run.

A little later we can help you set it up as a service so that you don't even know it's there.
    edited July 2004
    Thanks for your help!

I'm signing up now. It asks about asking permission before sending or taking work and if it should use internet explorer settings...???
    edited July 2004
    The only thing you should have different than the config I just posted is the user name.
    edited July 2004
    User name: chipatkinson
    Team Number: 93
    Ask before fetching/sending work: no (unles you are on dialup or don't have a 24/7 connection)
    Use Internet Explorer Settings: no
    Use Proxy: no
    Change advanced options: yes
    Client type: fah
    Core priority: idle
    Cpu usage requested: 100
    Disable highly optimized assembly code: no
    Interval, in minutes, between checkpoints: 30
    Ignore deadline information: no
    Machine ID: 1

and that's it for now.

We'll look at your task manager processes next.

What cpu are you using ...is it an intel p4 hyperthreaded by any chance?
    edited July 2004
    Thanks!

I did it and minimized it. Now do I leave it running in background? My wife also uses this computer. If she inadvertently closes it, does it still run or do I need to do something to run it?

sorry for all the questions, but I'm very new to this concept.

Thanks again for your help!!!!
    Chip
    edited July 2004
    First tell me what kind of processor you use ...

and check your task manager process to make sure you are using 100% cpu.

open task manager
    click processes tab
    click cpu tab twice and fah_core should be at the top and should show 99%
    edited July 2004
    Once the minimize client window gets closed then F@H will shut down ...once we work throught these other things I can show you how to set it as a service ...and that way it will run as long as your machine is on ...and you won't even have to be logged in.
    edited July 2004
    It shows 99 percent

I have a AMD Anthon XP 2800
    2.08 GHZ
    448 MB of RAM
    edited July 2004
    My typo...is AMD Athlon 2800+
    edited July 2004
    Anything else I need to do? How do I set it up to run on its own?

Thanks.
    Chip
    edited July 2004
    ok with the athlon you are set with one client so you're fine

there are a few ways to set up as a service ...let me look at something real quick
    edited July 2004
    ok ready?
    I'm borrowing the following instructions from a fellow folding team (amdmb pond) so hang in there. Keep refering to this post as I will keep updating it ...you'll probably need to stop the client now to get started.

Lets get started.

There are several reasons that you might want to run Folding@Home as a Windows service, rather than as a normal application. The most obvious is that it gets rid of the taskbar button, reducing clutter. The second is if you prefer, for whatever reason, to run the client in "stealth" mode, i.e., not visible to casual viewers. The final and possibly most useful reason is that when Folding is running as a service, you are no longer required to be logged in to the machine for Folding to run. This means that if something causes the machine to reboot, genome will resume processing even sitting at the Windows login screen. The following takes you through the process of setting up a standard Folding@Home client to run as a Windows service.

In addition to your Folding@Home installation, you will need the two small Microsoft programs in order to set up your service. Instsrv.exe is the program used to create a Windows service, and Srvany.exe is a program that allows almost any other program to run as a service. These files are available in Microsoft's Windows Resource Kit, at various internet sites, or you can just download them both here.

Finally, before we get started, a quick disclaimer: This procedure involves editing the Windows registry, which, by nature, involves some risk. If you are unfamiliar with editing your registry, DON'T DO IT. I cannot and will not be responsible for any damage caused by a hacked registry entry. Secondly, while I have tested this procedure in Windows XP, and it has worked fine in every environment that I've tested, I cannot not be held responsible if it doesn't work for you.

Step 1.
    Put Instsrv.exe and Srvany.exe in your Folding@Home directory.

Step 2.
    From the Start button, go to Programs->Accessories, then click on Command Prompt. This will open a command window, where you'll need to change to your Folding directory by typing cd\ (press ENTER) - cd program files (press ENTER) - cd F@H (press ENTER).

Step 3.
    Type instsrv Folding c:\program files\F@H\srvany.exe and press ENTER. This will create a service called "Folding". You can substitute a different service name if you wish. If the process is successful, you'll see the following message:

CreateService SUCCESS at creating:

Folding

You must now go to the Registry and the Services applet in the
    Control Panel and edit them as per the instructions.

When you're done, just minimize the command window, as we'll be returning to it later in the process.

Step 4.
    Open Regedit by clicking Start->Run, then typing regedit and pressing ENTER.

Step 5.
    Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Folding

Step 6.
    In the left pane of the registry window, click on the Folding key. Then, in the right pane, right-click and choose NEW -> KEY. Name the key Parameters

Step 7.
    In the newly-created Parameters key, right-click and choose NEW -> STRING VALUE. Name the value AppDirectory

Step 8.
    Repeat Step 7 to create a second new string value. Name it Application

Step 9.
    Repeat Step 7 to create a third new string value. Name it AppParameters

Step 10.
    Double-click on the String Value "AppDirectory". This will bring up the Modify dialog box. Set the value for AppDirectory to c:\program files\F@H\

Step 11.
    Double-click on the String Value "Application" Set the value for Application to c:\program files\F@H\fahsrv.exe

Step 12.
    Double-click on the String Value "AppParameters" Set the value for Application to -service

Step 13.
    Close Regedit

Step 14.
    Stop your Folding@Home client

Step 15.
    Return to the command window and type net start folding, then press ENTER. If everything is configured correctly, you should see a message indicating that the Folding service was started successfully. If you encounter any errors, the most common causes are that there is either a missing file, or one of the paths was entered incorrectly.

The newly-created Folding service will now function as it always has in terms of processing, uploading, and downloading, and any monitoring software will continue to work normally.

If for any reason you should decide you want to remove the Folding service, go to Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services. Right-click on the Folding service and choose STOP. After the service is stopped, open a command-prompt window, navigate to your folding directory, and type instsrv Folding remove. This will completely remove the service from your system. You can still run your Folding client as you did before, as a normal application.
    edited July 2004
    Tried to get the files by clicking on the links in your post, but got page not available errors.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I have re-stickied this thread:

New to the team? Start here!

Hope that is helpful :)
    edited July 2004
    Tried to get the files by clicking on the links in your post, but got page not available errors.
    try again I wasn't finished
    edited July 2004
    I have re-stickied this thread:

New to the team? Start here!

Hope that is helpful :)
    ummm ...keebs I plagerized the pond for a quick remedy!!! LOL ;D
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    csimon wrote:
    ummm ...keebs I plagerized the pond for a quick remedy!!! LOL ;D
    I know, sorry, I wasn't really specific about what that was for. Since you were already dealing with the technical aspect that link was just intended as an introduction to the team in general so he knows what else is going on. :bigggrin:
    edited July 2004
    Here is the link to my source ...I did modify it for chip specifically.

The only problem I can forsee is the dos prompt where he types c:\program files\F@H\ ...just wondering if it will accept more than 8 characters.
    Step 3.
    Type instsrv Folding c:\program files\F@H\srvany.exe and press ENTER. This will create a service called "Folding". You can substitute a different service name if you wish. If the process is successful, you'll see the following message:

but in the previous step he went into the folder itself so it seems all he has to do is type instsrv Folding srvany
    Step 2.
    From the Start button, go to Programs->Accessories, then click on Command Prompt. This will open a command window, where you'll need to change to your Folding directory by typing cd\ (press ENTER) - cd program files (press ENTER) - cd F@H (press ENTER).
    edited July 2004
    I know, sorry, I wasn't really specific about what that was for. Since you were already dealing with the technical aspect that link was just intended as an introduction to the team in general so he knows what else is going on. :bigggrin:
    I was looking for the link earlier but it just wouldn't be found!
    there are a few ways to set up as a service ...let me look at something real quick
    Thanks to ambmb for the linkage!
    edited July 2004
    chip just let us know if you need help.
    edited July 2004
    When performing step 3, I did not get the message:
    CreateService SUCCESS at creating:
    Folding

I got this:

C:\Program Files\F@H>instsrv Folding c:\program files\F@H\srvany.exe
    usage: instsrv <service name> <exe location>
    to install a service, or:
    instsrv <service name> remove
    to remove a service

C:\Program Files\F@H

I have the files in c:\program files\F@H

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.
    Chip
    edited July 2004
    it's not your fault chip the problem is that the dos prompt doesnt recognize anything over 8 characters. You can try a few things.

ok if you're still at step 3 you should be in the folder c:\program files\F@H correct?

if that is the case then try modifying step 3 like so:

Step 3.
    Type instsrv Folding srvany and press ENTER. This will create a service called "Folding". You can substitute a different service name if you wish. If the process is successful, you'll see the following message:

If that doesn't work then you'll have to change the folder where F@H resides to something simpler like c:\F@H or c:\windows\F@H because when dos sees c:\program files it only reads c:\program~ or something like that.

Before you do that just make sure that the client isn't running thru task manager.
    Also ...you should be able to just copy the entire folder right over to c:\ or c:\windows and go from there ...that should work for certain.
    edited July 2004
    I tried typing instsrv Folding srvany and it worked so on to step 4!!

Thanks!
    Chip
    edited July 2004
    Ok, I got to step 15 and typed net start folding

I got the following message:

System error 2 has occured.
    The system cannot find the file specified.

Would that be because we modified step 3? Do I need a different string in step 11 because of what we did in step 3?

Also, I typed -service for step 12. The instructions said "Set the value for Application to -service" but step 12 is for string value AppParameters. I typed -service as the value for AppParameters.

Any suggestions?
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited July 2004
    Personally, I use this method for installing F@H as a service:

http://www.overclockers.com.au/folding/service-nt2000xpnew.htm

Quick and easy using the free version of FireDaemon.

Dexter...