Repairing a Video Card?

edited July 2004 in Hardware
I was wondering if anyone had any information on repairing a video card's electronic components. I did a BIOS flash which slightly fried my ATI 9800 Reg. And neither ATI nor Dell (who sold it) are helping me out.

I don't think it's very common for graphics cards to get repaired. Is it even possible? Has anyone ever gotten theirs repaired? If anyone could tell me what I should do it'd be great. Thanks.
-poop

Comments

• MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited July 2004
    I don't see how a bios flash would kill a video card, unless the process went wrong somewhere. Are you sure the flash didn't go wrong somehow? Does it boot in the computer? Try flashing it again and see what happens.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited July 2004
    If a BIOS flash went bad (bad file, power outage/fluctuation, etc) and corrupted the BIOS, the card wouldn't boot, which could give the effect that the card was destroyed (when in reality it's perfectly fine, minus a screwed up BIOS).

You'll need a spare PCI video card in order to reflash your 9800 Pro if you decide to do it.

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3327
  • edited July 2004
    Can't really say if that's what killed it, I guess. Maybe something else happened, but it happened during the first flash.

I flashed it to a Pro from regular and there were artifacts -- bunch of white lines, specifically. When I flashed back to the original, they stayed. I tried a lot of other BIOSes as well -- to no avail.

If you think there's something I can do to fix it, you're welcome to suggest, and I'll definitely try it. But I think this card's done for.

What I'd also like to know, like I said before, is if there is anyone who repairs video cards. I don't think anyone short of ATI techs would have the expertise, and even they might think it's too much trouble. Thanks.
    --poopoo
  • edited July 2004
    Need to check to see if I did the reflash right -- it's gettin late. I'll post the results tomorrow. Thanks again.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited July 2004
    Sounds like either the core or memory overheated and is permenantly damaged due to the flash. :(

Your card have Infineon RAM by chance?

AFAIK, only ATI techs would be able to repair the card per say, but anyone with soldering skills would be able to replace components on the PCB (provided you could get matching replacements).
  • edited July 2004
    Actually, no. It's Samsung 3.3ns -- good enough to flash I was told.

"Sounds like either the core or memory overheated and is permenantly damaged due to the flash."

Someone else told me this might be the problem. Might this have anything to do with it being a Dell OEM?

Regardless, is it fixable?

Edit: Hmm, I would be lost to know which part I needed to replace on the board. And I dunno if my soldering skills are up for the challenge anyway. Maybe it'd be best to try to get ATI to fix it for a price, if they'd do it....which they probably wouldn't.

Edit: I'm still gonna try to reflash again, just for safety's sake.
  • edited July 2004
    Ok, I flashed the card with its original BIOS per the proper instructions (http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3327)...

...and the card is still displaying artifacts. I've tried other BIOSes and none have worked. I can't get assistance from ATI or Dell, it doesn't seem that the original BIOS has any affect, and there doesn't seem to be any visible damage to the card itself...

What do I do besides trash it and buy a whole new card? Is it possible that anyone besides an ATI tech can repair this?

I could try replacing some memory chips, but if they aren't broken, that would be a pointless (and perhaps expensive) endeavor. I really can't see any physical damage to the card. Perhaps there is a diagnostic program that can pinpoint the problem?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2004
    Does any place sell BIOS chips for video cards.
  • edited July 2004
    Saw what this guy did -- http://www.rainbow-software.org/hardware/graphics.html

Kinda cool. But damn, there's a lot of traces on the 9800. I guess I can try to look for a broken one...
  • edited July 2004
    You might be better off getting a new card.
  • GobdGobd Seattle, WA
    edited July 2004
    hell no, if that things broken no ones going to want it anyways so just screw around with it. maybe remove some transitors (ok maybe i'm biased, but that was fun), smash em with a sledgehammer, check the traces, experiment with it
  • edited July 2004
    If you tell dell that you flashed the video card bios they wont do anything, but if you tell them that it is broken, or stopped working, and your warranty is still working then they will send you a new one.
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited July 2004
    If you tell dell that you flashed the video card bios they wont do anything, but if you tell them that it is broken, or stopped working, and your warranty is still working then they will send you a new one.

My thoughts exactly. If there is no physical damage then chances are the people at dell/ati will give you a replacement.