Possible drive failure?

EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
edited July 2004 in Hardware
While on holiday I noticed parts of my e-mail not working. When I got home it still wasn't working and I restarted the server. 10 minutes later I was worried that it hadn't come back up (normally takes about 20 seconds).

I went down and looked at the server to find that the drive light was stuck on. So I pulled it off the wall and plugged it in to a monitor and KB downstairs. Turned it on and it started to boot.... but as soon as it hit the mounting /proc/ point I started getting bizzare errors and the machine kernel paniked.

I decided to kill the boot and tell it to do a check and as soon as it tried to do anything it just gave me errors (the same style). A reiserfsck told me that it was a hardware issue and to check for bad blocks. Not good.

I decided to boot off a liveCD and that seemed to work fine, it even mounted fine, but a scan gave the same hardware error. Lots of the files seemed to be in tact, but alot are not....

I bought a new drive to copy everything over to and got told of each failed file. Could someone shed some more light on the exact nature of the problem? (picture below).

Also, does anyone know if there is any way of recovering this? As all my files seem to be safe (the main ones) just odd ones are damaged.... and one rather large problem..... the entire /bin/ folder is dead, which kind of leaves me screwed.

Has anyone actually seen anything like this before? (drive sounds fine btw)

Cheers,
Ex

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Oh, it's nothing to do with cables or anything either. The copying is being done on another machine with exactly the same error messages.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2004
    run a diagnostic on the drive using whatever utility the manufacturer has on their website.
    edited July 2004
    Good idea *slaps head*

I just don't have a floppy drive to I have to make sure I can get CD versions...
    edited July 2004
    I said fail, our servey says: Ping.

"The drive is failing, please back up all the data if possible......"

****ing marvelous. 11 ****ing months old and it fails. I haven't lost any of my actual data, but the entire bin folder has gone which means the OS isn't going to work, neither are any of the programs on the server. Wonderful.

Not impressed. *expresses extreme fury*
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2004
    What kind of drive is it?
    edited July 2004
    Maxtor DiamondMax 9, 80GB EIDE, OEM from a computer fair.

Can't get the server to boot even after setting up grub now with the new drive and frankly I can't be bothered to try anymore, too much effort.