New Services Can't Start

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited July 2004 in Hardware
For some reason my folding production had dropped 400 points over night. Checking around my rigs, I found that my primary rig had completely aborted folding. Not even firedaemon was running any more.

I uninstalled firedaemon and reinstalled it. Version 1.5, as that's what I have and have used for close to a year. It told me that there was a version mismatch. So I proceeded to wipe it from the registry and try again.. No cookies.

So then I went to install v1.6 Lite. That installed properly. After that I went to reinstall folding, and told it to start.

"Error 5: Access is Denied" service was unable to start.

I then tried installing the service manually with the srvany.exe package, and that had the same effect.

So now, any service I try to install tells me that I'm denied access. At first I thought it was permissions errors on services.exe and svchost.exe as I had some permissions trouble on drives. But after resetting all parent and child objects with Win2k-default permissions and accounts, it still wouldn't work.

I spent about 45 minutes on google, and the only solution close to mine was related to GPOs and PDCs, of which I have neither.

I'm stumped and pissed. Help?

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2004
    What about some of the other services you most likely have disabled? Do any of those work at all?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    All of them start.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited July 2004
    Thrax, though i'm not very good with computers a thought came to me from watching Sally in the past. When she has a problem, she goes back to a few days ago in XP. Not sure what it's called.

I'm sure you would have thought of all your options and if nothing else, this post can act as a ^bump^.

Jon
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    How about some basics.. Have you done a thorough chkdsk /f on the system drive?
    edited July 2004
    I don't use XP for many many reasons. Thanks, though Jon. :)

Yes Prime.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    What happened to memtest86 :D

Have you checked the logs for more detailed information? (computer management)
    edited July 2004
    try reapplying SP4.
    edited July 2004
    EMT: Nah, that's not a memory error. That's a screwed up system file or registry thing.

But, just for good measure:

www.memtest.org :D
    edited July 2004
    I already memtested successfully at 220MHz 2/2/2.

I'll reapply SP4 now.
    edited July 2004
    No go on SP4.
  • edited July 2004
    Although you've probably done it, check for spyware. I've been getting rid of spyware like there's no tomorrow at the office. Prolly already covered but doesn't hurt to say it anyway.

KF
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2004
    KingFish - that's like suggesting that Mother Theresa be tested for a social disease. :eek2:
  • edited July 2004
    True, just had to be said.

KF
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2004
    Thrax, whatever happened to the old standby for fixing all windows issues? ;):nudge::D
    edited July 2004
    I have no idea what you're talking about.
    edited July 2004
    You know, the old standby.

FORMAT and REINSTALL