LCD Screen Flicker?

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited July 2004 in Hardware
I don't know how to explain this one...

I'm at someone elses PC, who uses an LCD. The Computer is brand spanking new, the LCD is not. It flickers every now and then, sometimes ALOT, and it kinda seems to coincide with things that are inputed, like keyboard and mouse.

What could it be? It uses a Quadro FX 1100 GFX Card.

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Ok, questions.... First, do you also get GHOSTING, ie edges of screen fuzzy or bright edged, possibly characters where black or dark gets a bright edge??

If yes, tell me if you get more horizontal ghosts or vertical ones, or if it is all the way around things if more at edges-- this can be handled in part by decreasing refreshes and that you do visually and interactively for best results absent compatibility tables for both card and display (LCD or CRT, but LCDs more often ghost in such a way that the ghosts flicker with each refresh cycle, and some older LCDs do so visibly as to Ghosting. Power supply inside display device going bad can also do this, but if we try compliant settings we can rule out card going faster than LCD can take which is most common. Some folks, I ma one, can SEE the refresh rate timings as a flicker when refresh settings are real slow. I would need to have an idea how old the LCD is, and if it did not do this on an older card hookup, what card that was, to see if settings are too slow, but ghosting PLUS flicker present to PVO of a gamer is typically too HIGH a horizontal and\or vertical refresh or a mismatched combo between horizontal and vertical. In Linux, I have had to write my own mode tables for LCDs many times, soemtimes without tables, so I have some experience doing this interactively.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    No Ghosting, at least I think. All I know is of a flicker, never seen a ghost myself ;D

The flickers occur horizontaly I think, right now no flickering is happening for some reason, hell, I can't even seem to make it happen now. It would usually flicker every now and then, now it won't even the slightest. Before it wouldn't stop, and now it won't even do it slightly. This pisses me off, cuase when I go it WILL start up again.

I am just kinda typing and waiting.... waiting for it to happen again... soon it will.... it must... it better......

OK well it won't, but I'll be watching closely for a while till it does flicker again, and make sure to get a more detailed look at it for better description.

BTW I was told they tried multiple monitors, they all did the same thing.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    It's flcikering now that I submitted the last post, it seems to be at the bottom of the screen mostly, it just flickers, nothing special.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    There is a DVI adapter on the back, I think it may be that thing.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2004
    try setting the refresh rate above 60hz....
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Didn't help. *shrugg*
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    So, this is analog video input through an adapter.
    NOISE!
    Check cables, connections and your shoes. Everythign should be clean and tight. The cable should look perfect and not lay along anything that has electricity in it.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2004
    just to clarify, the set-up is as follows: video card---(analog 15pin monitor cable)---->analog to dvi adapter
    >lcd monitor. Is this correct?

edcentric beat me to it, but i was going to say....

check/replace the cable, and try it without the dvi adapter so that it is just analog--->analog.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    edcentric wrote:
    So, this is analog video input through an adapter.
    NOISE!
    Check cables, connections and your shoes. Everythign should be clean and tight. The cable should look perfect and not lay along anything that has electricity in it.

Everything is extremmly clean actually, much better than what my mess is like at home :banghead: hehe

I know about noise and stuff and how it works, and how to prevent it(which I used to do anyways for neatness), there arn't too many cables and nothing is bundled together, it really is all neat and clean.

After testing the monitors myself, and switching the adaptor didn't change anything... *sigh* I feel confident it is the video card.

The system is an HP Workstation xw4100. Not too bad of a system for an HP if I may say so, but it may have already been cleaned out of junk and crap before I got to it.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    ryko wrote:
    just to clarify, the set-up is as follows: video card---(analog 15pin monitor cable)---->analog to dvi adapter
    >lcd monitor. Is this correct?

edcentric beat me to it, but i was going to say....

check/replace the cable, and try it without the dvi adapter so that it is just analog--->analog.

It must use the adaptor, it is a Quadro Card with 2 DVI's out only, this LCD monitor does have a DVI input, but for some odd reason they use the analog...(I don't know why yet, I'll ask when I can) I think it uses the Analog becuase this LCD panel is not new like the system is, I know it was used with the last system which had a GFFX5200 card. Come to think of it, I think I remember some problems with this before as well... but no one complained till now.

I don't think there are any DVI cables around though. :zombie:
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2004
    I will bet the adapter is the culprit. If the lcd panel has a DVI input, and the video card has DVI too, then use a DVI cable! I know it is for someone else, so they have to foot the bill, but you should be able to persuade them......i mean they asked you for help, right?

Just tell them that, in your expert opinion, a $30/40 dvi video cable should eliminate the annoying flicker. You can always return it if it doesn't solve the problem...
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    This is actually "my" computer, I am at school and it just takes them too long to fix anything. Digital Media Students are not referred to as the highest in rank of importance. I think it may be in part becuase they spent $2million on "StoneHenge" which is like a Theater with many computers to sit at instead of the normal theater seats :D Having a BIG screen sure is nice... they even keep someone in the room at all times becuase they fear something getting stolen LOL!

*drools over the biggest computer screen ever seen!

THE LCD's in this lab are "HP 1825" they are pretty nice, and swivel too, so I can have a screen that is better for reading on. Widescreen in an up and down way.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Well the video card was the culprite, the bastard of a card has been kicked out! ;)