lifespan for LED fans?

rykoryko new york
edited July 2004 in Hardware
In the past week, 3 out of 5 of my cooloermaster 4 blue LED fans have died on me. Well, the fans still work, but 2 of the 4 LEDs have stopped working...

My psu voltages are rock stable, so i don't think it's that....i am starting to think these things are el-cheapo in nature, maybe like .50 cents to manufacture?

What could be causing this? Is it just a coincidence? I did put all of them in my case at the same time about 11 months ago, so are these things only suppose to last a year or so?

What would you guys reccomend for LED case fans that have a long lifespan? I really like the coolermaster ones b/c of the 3pin connectors and the 4 LEDs, but i am willing to take suggestons...

Thanks!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I have 5 quad blue-LED antec fans, and they've been working 24/7 for 14 months. I think you just got el-cheap.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2004
    I thought antec only had tri-LED fans?.....do you have a link?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I've been told by Xoxide directly that Antec manufactures these and hands them out to other vendors.

Xoxide Quad Blue LED Fans
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    n the past week, 3 out of 5 of my cooloermaster 4 blue LED fans have died on me.
    That's just too much of a coincidence. It sounds to me like an overvoltage system for your PSU's 12V line. I would monitor your system's voltages, starting now.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited July 2004
    Current voltages are 3.33v / 5.00v / 12.10v. My psu is an antec 450w smart power and it is less than a month old.

I am starting to suspect my Enermax 6 fan controller...I have always had a hatred of it anyway. Worst fan controller ever.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    The odds of three fans going bad in that short period of time are unlikely. I bet your suspiciion of the fan controller is on the mark.