Really fancy phone

entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
edited July 2004 in Hardware
Right, so, because of the unbelievable laze that I like to call Myself, I want to turn my computer into a phone. The only phone down here is a whole 30 feet away. To be honest, we only have one jack downstairs at all (all electrical wiring in this house was done by a brain-damaged orangutan, I swear). So, I'd have to turn the jack into 3 jacks via a splitter thing. Not good, but we're moving (hopefully) withing a couple months. What I want is to use some software that can let me know I've got a call, let me answer it and use a mic to talk, and play their voice through the speaker. Voice recognition would be so totally sweet...walkin' around my room and just say, "Answer" to pick up the phone would be wicked :buck: . Also, anyone know of a *good and cheap* mic that can pick up decent sound without me having to practically swallow it and/or shout?

[Good lord, that was a long post...sorry :-/]

Comments

• EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    *bump* I've always wondered if this is practical. One potential problem is feedback, if you've got the other person on the speakers and you want to use the mic from a decent distance you may run into trouble.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited July 2004
    A good mic should be smart enough to be able to fix that, wouldn't it?
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Hmm... doubt that, but good software maybe
    edited July 2004
    Good mic should come with good software...so there:p
    Heh, hasn't anyone ever done this? If I can dig up a mic i'll give it a shot...
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Juse use a headset. Problem solved! ;)
    edited July 2004
    Yeah, I could, and I thought about that. But I seriously don't want to have to put on a headset everytime I sit down. I have several hundred watts (half as much as I could...when I bought the reciever it's only rated half what my speakers can do :banghead: ) and I'd like to use them, hehe. Do you know of any software that can do this though?