How many errors is acceptable with memtest 86?

DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
edited July 2004 in Hardware
My girlfriends laptop just started freaking out. BSOD halfway through an email, locking up when launching IE, BSOD on winamp, locking up on boot, etc. I know that it is for sure not a virus and it is not spyware.
XP Pro with SP1a and all updates
HP Pavilion ZV5160 notebook
512mb ram from the factory
P4 2.8ghz
60gb drive
I'm running memtest 86 off a bootable cd and it's currently at 3 passes with 4 errors. I just left the settings at default for it. Is there anything I should change to narrow down the problem? I'm thinking that 0 erros should be the acceptable #, but not too sure.

Any ideas?

Comments

• edited July 2004
    I would have to agree that 0 errors is really the only acceptable result with memtest86. Do you have another sodimm you can switch out with that ram, by any chance?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Anything more than zero errors means RMA time. A single error is unacceptable.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    kingston's website says that particular notebook came with either 2x256 or 1x512, so I'm gonna let it finish this pass and then open it up to see if it's 1 or 2 dimms then try switching it just so she can use it untill we get a chance to take it in.

thanks for the help guys
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited July 2004
    I'd say zero .. but .. i had a 512 of Corsair Value ... got about 3 errors, then after a month of 400 mhz overclock (on the cpu obviously) got around 50 :D and still ran fine:-/
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Anymore than zero is unaccaeptable in my book.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    So get this. It's still working on pass #4, and is currently up to almost 10,000,000. Yes, that's right, ten million errors.
    /me thinks it's a lost cause.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2004
    Yup, that's generally what happens. I had a stick of compaq ddr that was making my system unstable. first pass, no errors. second pass, 1 or 2 errors. 3rd pass... another 1 or 2 errors... 4th pass... errors out the wazoo.

Bad RAM.
  • edited July 2004
    anything more than ten million and one errors is simply unacceptable. keep your fingers crossed.

KF

j/k dump the ram, it's bad