Pics of my modded Radeon 8500

Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
edited July 2004 in Hardware
Someone asked me for some more pics of this the other day, so, since I had it out, here they are.

The notches were cut out on an EDM; unless you know someone with a machine shop, you'll need to use a dremel.

Pics:

Comments

• JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited July 2004
    Woohoooo now all i need to do is wait for my warantee to expire... then i'll expoxy that damned barton sink on there =D

//EDIT: Resized pic- Geeky1
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited July 2004
    cool...

I really need to replace the hsf on my card... How did you remove the stock hsf?

Gobbles
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2004
    Very carefully? :D

I just used a flathead screwdriver to pop it off. Just be careful in doing that, and freezing the card first may help (I've heard that it does, but I've never tried it myself)
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited July 2004
    Freezing the card?! eh?

i dont think that would help, and i dont want to try it either...

all that condensation when you pull it out of the freezer could be harmful

eh...
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2004
    It should help make the bond more bittle since its so cold.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2004
    freezing the card works very well, actually. get a plastic bag, put the card in, seal the bag and put it in a freezer. keep in mind any condensation on the card probably wouldn't even damage the card unless it was ON while the condensation was there. so just make sure its dry before you do anything like powering it up
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited July 2004
    You may find it easier just to run 3DMark03 for 30 minutes. Generally, after that time the thermal compound softens up and it's very easy to remove the GPU cooler. :)
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2004
    If it's thermal compound, yes, but what if it's thermal epoxy?
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited July 2004
    Geeky1 wrote:
    If it's thermal compound, yes, but what if it's thermal epoxy?

Freezer time :D
  • edited July 2004
    SimGuy wrote:
    Freezer time :D

Yes, that's the method I've used in the past for epoxied on heatinks on video cards. Stick them in a ziploc in the freezer and then be sure to be careful so that you don't mess up the pcb when popping the heatsink off. I use a piece of cardbord between the pcb and my prying instrument, which is a butter knife.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Butter knife (to pry with) and credit card (to protect PCB) after about 1/2 an hour in the freezer. I think the last one I put in the freezer was a GF2.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Yep. If I pop heatsinks off, I freeze the card for several hours then slip a CC under my screwdriver and just pop it off.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Freezer method definitely works, I was surprised. Could never get the damn excuse for an HS off my TNT2 till someone suggested that.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited July 2004
    TheBaron wrote:
    freezing the card works very well, actually. get a plastic bag, put the card in, seal the bag and put it in a freezer. keep in mind any condensation on the card probably wouldn't even damage the card unless it was ON while the condensation was there. so just make sure its dry before you do anything like powering it up

There goes my pc sprinkler mod... :buck:

Gobbles